Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2014, 02:55 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago 29R vs Itasca sunrise 35j.

These 2 are on our radar. Any into with good bad or ugly would help. The 29r is a winn sightseerer they are asking 39999, its an 06 and for the Itasca sunova 35j they are asking 49999 and it's an 07. What is a fair price? Don't want to over pay. Prefer the 35j as first choice over the 29r. Also looking at a 05 Fleetwood southwind 32v also 49999. Toss up between the 05 Fleetwood southwind 32v and Itasca sunova 35j lastly the winn sightseer 29r.

Thanks for any help
Shaz
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hey, love those RV's!! Virtually identical to my '05 Sunrise.

Both are a nice unit, obviously more room in the bigger one. You can check Kelly Blue and NADA for values based on year and model.

I'm not sure what year Ford updated the F53 chassis but you might look into that. Back in my vintage and for at least a year or two the workhorse with GM 8.1 and Allison trans was a premium option and well worth it. Later Ford improved quite a bit and then bought out workhorse and shelved them. Boo! Later F53's became the standard chassis for lack of an alternative.

Both are solid units as well and virtually the same coach with different length and floorplans. So just be sure to check out every appliance and system, have the motor and chassis checked out, and look for tire age. Everything can be expensive to replace or repair. It's better to find any issues with things that are not working properly BEFORE you buy it!

Pluses for the Winnebagos are the fiberglass roof, smooth sides, double pane windows, and winnebago makes most of the components and appliances - for example Atwood comes from winnie, and they are reasonably well made.

Come back and let us know how it goes and what you decide.

EDIT: One thing to look for is any sign of windshield leakage. The frame behind the glass can rust and it can be expensive and messy to fix.

EDIT2: Skip the fleetwood, IMHO.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We currently own a 2007 sightseer 35j. Had shorter units in the past. With the grand kids it is great. Good space utilization. Same floor plan as the itasca. Price sounds fair
Old 08-09-2014, 05:24 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Well shot down again. Made an offer on the 06 winn sightseer. They had it marked down from 39998 to 34998 the their bottom to us was 32498 which they said they could whole sale it out to a place in Ca. We are in NM. We offered 27900 and still had a bit more wiggle to 29500 but they said if we wanted to match the offer they said they got from who knows who in Ca. We would have to match that. We walked. I didn't think they cared. Maybe a ploy to get us up to what they wanted. They really did not neg at all. I am very annoyed.
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
Old 08-09-2014, 05:59 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Probly something in CA you buy for less, fly and drive, for just a few hundred in fuel. It's just a little more hassle to buy something out of your market.

I find it a little surprising actually, that after they had already dropped five grand off the price you really thought they would drop it another $5500. I wouldn't guess that they have that much room in them to do that but I guess you never know. Sounds like you found a reasonable selling price.

I'm also not quite clear why you are bargaining so hard on a unit that was your second or third choice. <shrug>
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:32 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

What we thought was on the bottom of our list at first sight with talking and looking more it quickly moved to the top of the list. Once that was done we researched more and more about it. This unit needed new floors since the prior owner took out all the carpet and put in flooring which is coming IP and being scraped by the slide cuz they took that carpet up too. Also windshield is cracked and needs replaced and there is no radio at all just an empty place for it. All these repairs the dealer will not do and they need done and cost $$$. So this unit for me is not worth what they want. If they can get what they want from a wholesaler in Ca. Great for them. If they want to sell it to me they will have to co.e down to my absolute bottom line I am willing to pay. Which after the work is done for me will be their selling price. Now if they had said they would do ALL the repairs that would be a different story. They only offered a 15 day warranty as well instead of the normal 30. Not to mention any extended warranty. If they sit a few days and call because we walked calling a possible bluff then we shall see. Right now they still have the unit and if they can get what they say they can good for them. The last init we saw we made an offer on 3 weeks ago is still sitting on the lot where we were told they could get what they wanted. The search continues and I guess when the time is right it will happen. Until then we will not over pay for something that is 8 yrs old and needs work. I will pay what I feel is fair. Maybe I'm just cheap bit sooner or later we will get what we want.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:56 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We have had Itasca 35J for a few years and love it. Great for the kids and usually travel with 2 kids, one of or both of our moms, and a large dog and never seems crowded. Bunks are great, king bed awesome , and large shower is not tight. We have an 09 bought in 2012 with 13k and was around upper 60's. Ford V10 does well in colorado mountains and did cheap handling fix. Our was very well cared for and stored heated/cooled garage it's entire life.
I vote to offer on the 35j because it's a great RV
Cspringsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:11 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
Probly something in CA you buy for less, fly and drive, for just a few hundred in fuel. It's just a little more hassle to buy something out of your market.
Correct me if I am wrong, but a out of state person should never buy a rv from a california dealer unless they want to pay taxes twice. Cal does not wave out of state tax purchases.
zman-az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:08 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

The California connection was used by the dealer to us . They said they called a wholesale place in Ca. That said they would pay more then our offer even with the issues we found. I feel this was ploy for them to have us come up more from our offer. The difference between the dealer and us is 2k. We would come up if they would come down 2k. They refused to and stuck to this offer from this so called Ca. Offer in which we turned and walked away but said our offer was good until Tuesday.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:27 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Well, after great discussion, pros and cons we pulled the trigger and bought the rig yesterday. DH is very happy and that is Important.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:44 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Congratulations!! I know you have looked hard and long for the right coach and seems you found it. I hope you get many miles of enjoyment on the road. Now get out an use it. Keep us posted on your travels.

Tags
itasca, winnebago