Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2015, 01:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago 27N question ??

Hey, would like to hear from winnabago 27 N owners. I was just wondering what you have set your tire pressure at. I know this decision should be done after having unit weighed and etc.. Is anyone running below 82 lbs. Cold. I assume all 27N are alike in most cases .
WV Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:26 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Out of curiosity, what does the sticker inside the coach say to run the tires at? This is sometimes different than what is printed on the actual tire. Mine says 90lbs but the tire says 110, depends on the tire and the weight of the coach.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
Out of curiosity, what does the sticker inside the coach say to run the tires at? This is sometimes different than what is printed on the actual tire. Mine says 90lbs but the tire says 110, depends on the tire and the weight of the coach.
Sticker says 82 and that is what I run them at.
larryjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:45 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I had the coach weighed when loaded for travel, with water tank 2/3 full, a full gas tank and the CR-V attached. According to the tire weight charts the pressure should be 82 lbs all around; the same as the placard. I could have saved the hassle of weighing. Just a side note when the tire shop installed new "dually" valve stems to make it easier to screw on the tire monitor sensors, they increased the tire pressure to 90 front, 95 rear. It's amazing what a difference a few pounds of air pressure make. The handling was horrible, wandered all over the road and the ride was rough.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:32 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I am currently at 84 all around. Still trying to fine tune it.
Steer Safe goes on next.

Bill
2016 Itasca Sunstar LX 27n, unattractive brownish hue. 530 Watts roof mounted solar, 165 Watts portable solar, Winegard G2 Sat Antenna, Progressive Industries Surge Protector, TPMS, Sirius Satellite Radio.
superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2015 22R and I go with the sticker.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:24 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

2013 Vista 27n. Had a small leak repaired at a local tire shop. They recommended 82 fronts but suggested 90 in the rear duals.
sask66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:36 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Finally time , thanks for your come back. That was what I was thinking about . The only advantage of weighing coach would to see if over weigh as sticker show. And if you are over weight there is no good tire pressure for safety . When I picked up my coach and started towards residence , motor home was all over road and trucks caused a great problems. I was disappointed , to say the least. After reading on this forum I set my tire pressure 82 as sticker showed. What a difference !!!, I have very little truck problems when they pass. I wonder if one should ever run under 82. Even if you run it empty . I have found talking to tire shops ( most) are not this best source for tire pressure info. On motor homes. (Please see I have said most tire dealers) Do you have Goodyear tires Finallytime ? I see no reason for adding anything to help in handling , except maybe for steer safe for front tire blow out. Note I am talking about this coach ( winnebago 27 N ) . Any other opionions is greatly appreciated .
Old 09-03-2015, 10:03 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Yes, I do have the Goodyears. According to the Goodyear RV, Tire Loading section they should not be run at less than the pressure indicated on the manufacturer's placard. The Inflation Loading - Goodyear RV

Even though it handled ok from the factory, I did a few things to improve the ride and handling. I was getting a bit of push from trucks passing and side winds so i added a rear track bar and a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer. Washington apparently believes rough pavement is good pavement so I replaced the factory Bilsteins with Monroe RV Magnum shocks. That softened the ride considerably. I also did the CHF since there is no cost and it can't do any harm.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:02 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

WV Bum

Do you recall what the tire pressure was set when you first picked it up and had handling problems?
I am just curious to see the range of PSI from where it works to where it is problematic.

Thanks

Bill
2016 Itasca Sunstar LX 27n, unattractive brownish hue. 530 Watts roof mounted solar, 165 Watts portable solar, Winegard G2 Sat Antenna, Progressive Industries Surge Protector, TPMS, Sirius Satellite Radio.
superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:28 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

If my memory is correct it was in the high nineties .
Old 09-03-2015, 06:57 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Finally Time , was there a big improvement after safe T Plus and track bar added. I plane to replace shocks in a few more miles. Just to tight to give in right now I get a little push but not from all trucks. Sometimes I don't even know they are passing if I did not see then in mirror. I have tried to figure out what kind of trucks push,it doesn't happen that often. I don't have a good RV tech in my area to install the safe T plus. Did you do the CHF yourself and What did you find it helped with handling ? Glade to here from someone with the same M H . So much of the other info does not apply to the 27N.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:32 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I can’t say anything about the Safe-T-Plus. Apparently I got one of the very few defective ones. I had it and the track bar put on just before a month long trip. It started going bad on the second day. At first I thought I just wasn’t used to it but it got worse the longer the trip lasted. The steering felt like a ‘70’s Lincoln, wallowing down the road. When I got back from the trip I went back to Brazel’s Performance RV and they exchanged it and aligned the front end. Felt a lot better going back to the storage lot. I’ll be taking another trip next week so we’ll see how it handles then.

I do think the track bar helped in the strong cross winds in North Dakota and Montana.

I had the CHF done at a truck and motorhome suspension shop. It cut down on the rocking going over driveways and through dips on the edge of the road, but it did make the harsh ride even harsher. That’s the main reason I changed the shocks. The shop owner said the Monroe RV Magnums would give the smoothest ride. If I didn’t like them he would apply the price to any others I wanted. He said the Koni’s would give a bit harder ride than the Monroes and be a lot more expensive. Upgraded Bilsteins would give an even harder ride. I am very happy with the Monroes.

I’m usually in the right lane going 58 to 60 mph. I’ve noticed the trucks that push me around the most are big box trucks, like U-Haul rentals Also when the big diesel pushers blast past they really push me around.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:53 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Hey, Thanks for all the info. And time. If you think about it when you get back from next trip let me know how things went. It is a sham one of our own are pushing us around. (diesel pusher) ha ha
Old 09-13-2015, 10:19 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

WV Bum,

Just one more comment on tire pressure. I weighed the 27N with average everything on board, and am around 1000 pounds under the maximums for the coach - so we need to keep it that way if possible!

With that weight, tire pressure calcs came out to recommending 80 all around, so that makes sense that 82 is what Winnebago puts on the sticker.

There is one other thing to look at besides coach weight - Goodyear says 82 is the minimum for that tire, so no matter what how light your coach is, you can't go lower than 82 with the Goodyears.

When the coach was delivered, it had 95 all around, what a difference lowering it to 82 - so much better in all ways. I don't think tire shops get it - more is not better!
Old 09-18-2015, 08:22 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

VW Bum

Back from my trip with the replacement Safe-T-Plus. It was about 700 miles, mostly freeway, with some occasional strong cross winds. The steering definitely felt better. Now it has more road feel, and I didn't have to make constant small corrections to stay centered in my lane. Also there is not as much rut tracking. I found myself doing a lot of one handed steering and was a lot more relaxed. At slow speeds I can feel the resistance to turning, but it is not noticeable at highway speeds.

I don't know if it is the Safe-T-Plus or the rear track bar, but I don't get bounced around when the big rigs pull back in front of me after passing. Since i am puttering along at 58-60 mph in the right land and get passed a lot, this is a real bonus.

I'm happy with how the coach handles and feel it was worth the money.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:54 AM   #17

Sunstar 27N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally Time View Post
VW Bum

Back from my trip with the replacement Safe-T-Plus. It was about 700 miles, mostly freeway, with some occasional strong cross winds. The steering definitely felt better. Now it has more road feel, and I didn't have to make constant small corrections to stay centered in my lane. Also there is not as much rut tracking. I found myself doing a lot of one handed steering and was a lot more relaxed. At slow speeds I can feel the resistance to turning, but it is not noticeable at highway speeds.

I don't know if it is the Safe-T-Plus or the rear track bar, but I don't get bounced around when the big rigs pull back in front of me after passing. Since i am puttering along at 58-60 mph in the right land and get passed a lot, this is a real bonus.

I'm happy with how the coach handles and feel it was worth the money.
Have the set-up, Safe t p lush and rear track bar. Significant difference.
larryjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:57 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Finally Time , thanks for letting us know how the trip went after the safe-t-plus was added ? That along with other comments make me think it is the right thing to do. I assume I just couldn't see how the coach could drive much better. That has been the hold back. I would love to drive a 2015 27N with the Safe-T-plus on it. I wonder if Winnebago has set up all the 27N the same way or they just leave the chassie as it comes to them. Thanks again for info.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:11 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Danhannah, Just wondering if you have added anything to your coach as far as to the handling ?
Old 09-22-2015, 09:46 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

WV Bum,

I have done the CHF, which was huge, and had the caster on the alignment set to +6 degrees, which is 1.5 more than the Ford spec calls for. I had to sign a waiver, or the Ford dealer wouldn't do it. It made a huge difference in going down the road straight, IMHO.

I keep the tires equal and at 82 PSI religiously!

Since Finally Time has given the SafeTPlus a thumbs up, I am going to do that next.

I don't get pushed around by trucks much anymore, so probably won't do the track bar.

I sure like the idea of those dynamic balancers, Centra something?, can't remember the name right off. CRS disease...

Cheers

Tags
winnebago