Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2014, 06:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago 27 N

I am a newbie as far as operating and traveling in a motor home. My wife and I bought a Winnebag 27 N a few weeks ago. So far, we have traveled around a 1000 miles and have enjoyed it very much. I wondered if any other owners had the same issue as I do with the placement of the awning switch or not. It is beside the bottom inside step. I made the dumb mistake of catching the awning with the door. You have to have the door open and reach inside coach to open or close the awning. I enjoy reading the thoughts and info from the forum, and wondered if anyone else had a thought on the placement of awning switch.
WV Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

:welcome:

Glad to have you here with us.

I can't help you with the switch placement. I suppose you can have it moved if it really bothers you.

Good luck and Happy Trails!!!
Old 09-20-2014, 05:24 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Yes, same location and problem with the 26 HE. After I closed the awning on the door, I made a shorter retaining arm to hold the door open. If the door is pinned open, the awning arm will clear the door when it closes. I kept the issued door arm for reaching under the rig to remove my jack pads.

Your only other choice (keeping it simple), is to hold the door almost closed while sticking your arm inside to operate the button.
BBQ Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:05 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

With the door closed, I sit on the floor with my feet in the stairwell and reach down to operate the switch. That way I can watch the awning through the window in the door and the cat doesn't get out.

The only thing I don't like about my 27N is the silly too small hole the sewer hose goes through. I should be large enough to pass the hose through with the end fitting attached.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Just wondering how hard it would be to move switch.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:21 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

WV Bum, if you move it outside to a storage area, you might have to go outside in nasty weather during the night to close the awning. The entry door will still need to be closed.

Finally Time, I posted this advice earlier on another site. I only hook up the sewer hose when I'm ready to dump. I keep the storage door open, laying the hose on the floor and frame after its hooked up, forgetting about the too small hole. This also alleviates trying to keep the electric chord, water hose, cable, clear while fumbling with the sewer hose. The rotating plate holds these to the side.

This problem shows engineers are not campers.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:03 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

BBQ Judge, do you think it would be possible to move switch up the wall inside coach and then be able see out window when you open/close awning. I wonder if there was a good reason on the present location for winnebago to locate it so low. I assume I am trying to find a good reason for my stupid mistake. I agree on the sewer hose opening as you say .
Old 09-21-2014, 01:49 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We apparently have different ideas as to what we want to see when operating the awning. I'm outside so I can see both arms as they extend or close. If there's a problem, I can stop the awning almost immediately. My awning over extends a few inches when it opens fully, leaving a ridge on the back side of the roller. I have to retract a short time to get a smooth water run-off. Also on closing, once in a while the front arm does not go around the wall bracket, necessitating a short run out and then retraction while pulling on the arm.

For me the button is in a good location once I fixed the door-in-the-way problem.

It also appears you have a clear window that I don't have, my door window is frosted.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:18 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

BBQ Judge, yes I can see out my door window it is clear. If my door is open very far the awning arm hits the door. If it is raining you get wet operating awning. My arms are not long enought to set on steps to use switch with door closed. I can live with gettin a little damp, it is paying to get awning fixed I hate. Ha ha. I assume my point Is the door should not have to be open before opening /closing awning and take the chance of bending the arm on awning hitting the door. I was watching the awning , so a small limb would not get rolled up in awning , and hit door with my rump and it opened to far and awning hit it. I agree , the people in design do not RV it can't be the cost in this case for putting switch so low.i believe it would be cheaper higher on wall ha ha. Thank for listing to me ramble on

Tags
winnebago