Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2012, 10:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Winne "Adventurer" Gas pusher??

Ladies and gents,
A while ago, we were invited to camp at a place in Palm Desert CA at an RV resort called Emerald Desert RV park. A seriously well manicured, really nice place RV park. But, waaaaaaay too close to the freeway and rail road tracks for us.

But anyway, while we were there, a whole bunch of Winnebagos and some Itascas pulled in and were in spots very close to us. It was meeting /campout of a local WIC from Escondido CA. Seemed like real nice folks. There were two of them, right across from us. Both of them were, I think, Winnebago Adventurers and, were gas pushers. Both were the same color, length and graphics. Those were the first gas pushers I've seen. I managed to talk to one of the owners and he was pretty happy with his unit and had to date, only a few minor issues with this or that.

I was just wondering, if any of you have any like those, what are your thoughts, recommendations, disaprovals, dissatisfactions etc? Not that I'm going out hunting for one but, it's a different animal to me and I'm curious as to the satisfaction of owners of such machines. How's the noise, ride and what ever is of concern? Thanks for your input.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:16 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Love my Gas Pusher and would buy another one if they still made them.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:33 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

There were DP Adventurers made for awhile. I saw one whilst camping last summer. Never seen a GP tho

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:36 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

WBGO used MOST of their Workhorse R-26 (UFO) chassis for their Winnie DESTINATION and Itasca LATTITUDE coaches, which were made in 2 floor plans,the 37G and 39W. They were also available on a FCCC DP chassis. For whatever reasons, these did not fly off the dealer's lots and WBGO dis-continued production at some point. The last of the UFO chassis that WBGO had in stock were used to build the WBGO Adventurer LIMITED, which was the same floor plan but "dressed" in the more tradational Adventurer interior design and colors. THOSE coaches sold better, but by then the economy had completely tanked, and WBGO dropped all their UFO chassis based offerings.

The rear gas engine cannot be heard up front, the totally flat floor is nice, but it is the ride and handling of the UFO's unique suspension that really sets it apart from the rest of the gassers; even the other models from WCC don't compare. Ed
Old 12-26-2012, 08:25 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

So if we run across one at a good price, snatch it up?
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
So if we run across one at a good price, snatch it up?
ONLY if your better half likes the floor plan. That is the only thing that kept me from owning one.

OBTW, there are 4 other coach builders that used the UFO in addition to WBGO.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:30 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

IMHO the 2008 Adventurer Limited is the 'Holy Grail' of gassers.
If they still made them, I would be writing this from one...
http://www.winnebagoind.com/products...04%20pager.pdf
Old 12-27-2012, 06:20 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Our 2008 Winne Destination 39W has the identical floor plan to the Adventurer 39WL. The difference is the cabinet design. The Adventurer cabinets are "traditional" in design where the Destination cabinets are "European" in design. The "traditional" cabinets are certainly more functional in use.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:09 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by motohomer View Post
IMHO the 2008 Adventurer Limited is the 'Holy Grail' of gassers.
If they still made them, I would be writing this from one...
http://www.winnebagoind.com/products...04%20pager.pdf
I have to ask this question. I imagine you have been asked a million times already. Here goes: Do you ever have a cooling problems with the rear gasser? Do you have problems keeping the radiator clean and clear of dirt?

I have always wanted a rear gasser, have never driven on.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:57 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I have seen temps up to 231 but it always drops right back down. I haven't had any problems with dirt on the radiator in 5 1/2 years and 48,000 miles. You need to drive one to really appreciate the ride.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:37 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzyblueye View Post
I have to ask this question. I imagine you have been asked a million times already. Here goes: Do you ever have a cooling problems with the rear gasser? Do you have problems keeping the radiator clean and clear of dirt?

I have always wanted a rear gasser, have never driven on.
Izzyblueye,
Based on your question above, are you referring to what would be the same issues some of the earlier diesel pushers had in terms of what's called the "Blubber tube"? The blow-by or, blubber tube vented internal engine pressures to the atmosphere and, consequently, oil vapors too. And, those oil vapors collected onto, in and around the inter-cooler fins and the radiator fins causing some havoc on down the road.

But, the gas engines don't have such a blow-by tube, they haven't for decades. Their internal pressures are regulated and contained in other ways. So, a gas pusher coach, would not have the problems of a dirty, oily radiator/after cooler that the earlier diesels had.

I'm only assuming that's what you were referring to. If not, well, then forget all that's said above. I have talked with one Winne Adventure 8.1 pusher and the only issue he's had is the clutch fan has gone bad twice, which, in tern caused heating issues. But that's been his only one. Other that those instances, he said the cooling system on his rig as performed flawlessly.
Scott
Old 12-29-2012, 05:39 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Fire Up: Thanks for the response. I wasn't thinking about the blubber tube as I know most gas engines do not have one. I had heard due to the placement of the radiator on the back or side, could not get enough ram air to keep cool. I also had heard that dust from the duals got caught up in the fins and plugged them eventually. Although good maintenance would resolve this.
I really like the rear engine approach and thanks for the information.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:09 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Izzy,
I've only encountered/seen two of those gas pushers. And, only talked with one of the owners so, that's the only input I've had concerning these units. I have no idea how many gas pushers are out there and or, what brand manufactured them. The one owner I talked with said there was 75 of the Winnes made and they stopped it. So, of the rest of the Winne gas pushers and any other brand, I have no idea IF, there's a pattern of heating issues. You're welcome for the info, just trying to help here.
Scott
Old 12-30-2012, 07:14 AM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

As a very happy owner of an Adventurer Limited I would encourage anyone to consider a purchase. No problems with hills or acceleration. Quite and smooth ride. Very easy access to all things mechanical. Mileage is in the 7.4 range on average. My suggestion is to use synthetic oil and change annually as the 8.1 is pushing lots of weigh and runs a bit hot.

I am suprised that rear-engine gassers are not available.
andylarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:12 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by andylarson View Post
As a very happy owner of an Adventurer Limited I would encourage anyone to consider a purchase. No problems with hills or acceleration. Quite and smooth ride. Very easy access to all things mechanical. Mileage is in the 7.4 range on average. My suggestion is to use synthetic oil and change annually as the 8.1 is pushing lots of weigh and runs a bit hot.

I am suprised that rear-engine gassers are not available.
I am too. It just seems to me to be one of the best progressive moves RV's could make. I know FMC did it in the late 60' early 70's. Had some of the nicest looking coaches on the market. I have heard they had cooling problems. Following this thread, it appears this is not a problem any more. I cannot imagine why rear engine gassers are not in vogue.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

ok i am loving the info . i also have come to the coclussion that by saying 8.1 , you are saying that it's a gm chassiswith the 502cid and i am guessing an allison tranny w/at lease 6 gears automatic
i have an 1985 winnie chieftain setting in the back drive at the other house that has the workhorse with the 454 and 400 tranny. it was loud up front, so when leaks arrived i went with weaders and a full flowing exhaust. i then fabbed a ram air system and we picked up power and a lil more noise. at 55, pulling 5k behind it, conversations up front were sometimes useless as was the sterio. but it went adn never complained.

little under a year ago we ( me and momma bear (ruth) purchased a nice 2001 winnie adventurer 35u. the first time out i was taken back as the f53/v10 ford just labored so and shifted gears so even with the tow button pushed. i was pulling a (10k) 2000lb trailer with 3 harleys n equipment and losded with 4 adults.

but we blew a tire in ohio and had to crawl under to help the aaa folks with the spare. that was the first time i really had a chance ( or took notice) to admire the size and bulk of the massive frame and all the equipment envolved with this unit.

now i just realized that my expectations were really high and now i need to slow down and stay to the right and throw the 4 ways on and not to push her but let her do her thing.

but the noise is less that the older winnie but still there and the vibration noise is more that i had expected. i wonder what the tire pressers should or shouldn;t be. i have the 245/70x 19.5 which calls for (i think as its out in the cold)110 psi. i wonder what other folks have found for the rite lbz per square inch (air pressure) is for good ride and tire wear and side wall support

the tire folks aired them to the max. the rv dealer i get supplies from said that because of the laws and covering their own asses, to run what the tire calls for. is this for real or can i lower it some an injoy the ride a lil more.
i really like the idea of having a pusser at some point as mb dosen;t want a 5th wheel. though i also wonder about gas vers diesel / power vers cost.!!?

now i want to say thanks to anyone that may want to give me advice from what they have learned from miles of driving a f53/v10 of 35 ft or so , pulling and non pulling and about the air pressuers. again tkz
gregbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

The only gas pusher I'd come across was one made by an outfit called "Special Interest Vehicles". It was a 26', low profile rig on their own-design space frame chassis with three axles. If I'd been able to find one for a reasonable price, I'd have bought it PDQ. It was one of the best engineered rigs I'd ever seen.

Most had the 460 Ford, driving a ZF automatic 5-speed transmission, but they'd started buying the older ones back and retrofitting the V-10. I think the "tag" axle was actually the forward-most axle at the back and it was the aft-most that connected to the transmission.

I believe they're out of business, or at least not making motorhomes now.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:11 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbullet View Post
i wonder what the tire pressers should or shouldn;t be. i have the 245/70x 19.5 which calls for (i think as its out in the cold)110 psi. i wonder what other folks have found for the rite lbz per square inch (air pressure) is for good ride and tire wear and side wall support

the tire folks aired them to the max. the rv dealer i get supplies from said that because of the laws and covering their own asses, to run what the tire calls for. is this for real or can i lower it some an injoy the ride a lil more.
110 is way too high for that rig. Lots of threads on tire pressure, do a search. But you will be safe if you go by the Winnie sticker on the door jamb or in the closet. I have the 32V and it calls for 80 psi, yours may be higher as you have the 35 footer. 110 is stamped on the tire as the max pressure for that tire without knowledge of what it is being used on.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

The Ford does ride a bit rough but it is reliable. Changing to Khoni shocks can help.

On the UFO gas pusher I believe that there was a update to the cool pack and some problems with the cooling fan coming apart and such. Unique quadrahaulic brake system could be pricey to maintain also.

Note that after the Workhorse/Bosch brake debacle Winnebago stopped using Workhorse and only offers Ford on their gas powered rigs.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
The only gas pusher I'd come across was one made by an outfit called "Special Interest Vehicles". It was a 26', low profile rig on their own-design space frame chassis with three axles. If I'd been able to find one for a reasonable price, I'd have bought it PDQ. It was one of the best engineered rigs I'd ever seen.

Most had the 460 Ford, driving a ZF automatic 5-speed transmission, but they'd started buying the older ones back and retrofitting the V-10. I think the "tag" axle was actually the forward-most axle at the back and it was the aft-most that connected to the transmission.

I believe they're out of business, or at least not making motorhomes now.
My understanding is that this was actually a Winnebago product (Spectrum 2000) which was recalled by Winnebago due to cooling and brake issues and eventually reincarnated by Special Interest Vehicles.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas