Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2007, 04:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

My 2004 Meridian 36G has some loose trim around the windshield. After taking a close look at it, it seems the trim is held on by a channel that is taped (with double stick tape) to the frame of the coach. The tape is coming lose in a number of areas and I need to replace it.

It seems to me that I could take all of the old trim/channel and tape off, clean with alcohol, and replace with 3M foam mounting tape, then replace the channel, and trim.

Have any of you run into this and does this seem like a reasonable approach to fix?

Thanks - Rick

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 04:22 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

My 2004 Meridian 36G has some loose trim around the windshield. After taking a close look at it, it seems the trim is held on by a channel that is taped (with double stick tape) to the frame of the coach. The tape is coming lose in a number of areas and I need to replace it.

It seems to me that I could take all of the old trim/channel and tape off, clean with alcohol, and replace with 3M foam mounting tape, then replace the channel, and trim.

Have any of you run into this and does this seem like a reasonable approach to fix?

Thanks - Rick

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
Old 06-11-2007, 05:45 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Are you referring to the vertical rubber strip on either side of the window and clamped down on the top by a plastic strip?

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:46 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Rick - I had the problem of shrinking windshield molding. I complained to the factory and they sent me an entire windshield molding kit at no charge. There is a spline on the underside of the molding and a channel on the coach. A rubber mallet is an effective tool to get the spline into the channel. I added a self tapping screw at each end with a finish washer to prevent the new one from moving away from the ends if (when) it shrinks again. I replaced the entire top section and the center section. I am pleased with the results.

I hope this helps,
Larry
Cat C-7 DP -- 2 slides -- computer table dinet -- full body paint -- Satellite Dish: Winegard Movin' View Dome -- Toad: 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD -- Aux Brake: none -- Tow Bar: Sterling All Terrain -- GPS: Garmin Street Pi
KE0M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 01:40 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I don't think I would use the foam type double sided tape. WalMart carries the 3M Exterior molding double sided stickey tape. It has a red backing and is in the automotive department.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 02:31 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Rick

My '03 Ultimate is in at a dealer as we speak. We had a small drip at the top of the passenger side windshield. When I checked it out, I found the outer trip loose across the top of the windshield, the the inner channel coming loose in some places. They put a leak machine (pressurized the coach inside with liquid on the outside to detect leakes), on the coach, and found numerous leak around both windshields. We think one of the clearance lamps was leaking also. I think the trim tape with the red backing would be the best bet to secure the inner channel. I'm not real concerned about the rubber trim. My bigger problem appears to be a leak under the front cap.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:59 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Update on the loose trim --

I spent a few quality hours today fixing the loose trim around the windshield using your suggestions. I pulled the external trim out of the plastic channel and then pulled the channel out (the original tape holding the channel had failed). Then, I had to strip the old tape off (a real pain!) and then cleaned the metal frame underneath with solvent. Finally, I put down new double stick tape (3M), replaced the channels and trim. Worked great and no more trim flapping in the wind.

Rick

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
Old 06-12-2007, 05:00 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Larry: Can you post pics of your screws (just for location). It sounds like I should look into this while mine is still in position to secure.

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 06-14-2007, 03:35 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Jeff - I did not take any pix. The nice thing is that there is a plastic cover that runs vertically down both sides, and that strip covers the ends of the molding. Therefore, it also covers the screws and thus one can not tell they are there.

73's
Larry
Cat C-7 DP -- 2 slides -- computer table dinet -- full body paint -- Satellite Dish: Winegard Movin' View Dome -- Toad: 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD -- Aux Brake: none -- Tow Bar: Sterling All Terrain -- GPS: Garmin Street Pi
KE0M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 04:14 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AFChap:
Rick

My '03 Ultimate is in at a dealer as we speak. We had a small drip at the top of the passenger side windshield. When I checked it out, I found the outer trip loose across the top of the windshield, the the inner channel coming loose in some places. They put a leak machine (pressurized the coach inside with liquid on the outside to detect leakes), on the coach, and found numerous leak around both windshields. We think one of the clearance lamps was leaking also. I think the trim tape with the red backing would be the best bet to secure the inner channel. I'm not real concerned about the rubber trim. My bigger problem appears to be a leak under the front cap. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you get on a ladder and remove one of the market lights (if your's is anything like mine), you will wonder why they haven't leaked from day one. There are no gaskets behing the light body. I would have a small puddle of water on the dash after heavy rains. I could find no other suspicious areas so I made gaskets for the markers from some 1/8" neoprene rubber and I have no more leaks.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 09:47 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Larry, I looked at mine last night and notice that the strip that appears to be in trouble is the center. I'd say it's on the order of 3/4" short. I assume you did not secure the center strip? Guess I should figure out who to call and discuss this. I'd much rather replace it myself than drive 60 miles to the dealer.

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 06-18-2007, 04:51 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

My weatherstripping also looked short, but after I pulled it out of the channel and stretched out, it was long enough. I suspect it "bunches up" a bit as the tape lets go.

Rick

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
Old 10-07-2007, 02:57 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smlranger:
[

If you get on a ladder and remove one of the market lights (if your's is anything like mine), you will wonder why they haven't leaked from day one. There are no gaskets behing the light body. I would have a small puddle of water on the dash after heavy rains. I could find no other suspicious areas so I made gaskets for the markers from some 1/8" neoprene rubber and I have no more leaks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

smlranger, we have been out and about for the past two weeks, up to TN and back, and today pulled our 2004 Journey 36G in for the evening on our last day out and encountered a heavy rain storm just after getting set up for our eveing stay over. At least the timing was good! But after searching for "windshield water leak" and finding your post, I am concluding I have the same marker light leak. Water is leaking down on the driver's side from the very top inside of the windshield.

I'll take the three front marker lights apart and see if the Life Caulk or the rubber gasket will be the best repair. Thanks for sharing your repair experience.

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:23 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

If anyone is looking to replace the double-sided tape, I would suggest THIS. This "VHB" tape is marketed as a replacement for welding and screws (yeoza!). I have my solar panels literally stuck to the rook with this stuff, so it oughta hold some silly molding up.

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 10-09-2007, 02:35 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I am concluding I have the same marker light leak. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also have the same problem. Tried caulk w/poor results; so I bought some rubber/fabric gasket stuff (NAPA) & will make gaskets soon.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 03:26 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SCVJeff:
If anyone is looking to replace the double-sided tape, I would suggest THIS. This "VHB" tape is marketed as a replacement for welding and screws (yeoza!). I have my solar panels literally stuck to the rook with this stuff, so it oughta hold some silly molding up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. 3M 4941 is probably the best all around VHB (Very High Bond).
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:06 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

BTW- It's VERY difficult to find anything short of a very expensive full roll. But if you search VHB on eBay you can find it in 6" strips. I just bought 2 packages of the stuff.

Jeff - WA6EQU