Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-09-2022, 06:51 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Windshield frame rust??

Was scheduled to have cracked windshield replaced on 2012 Sightseer, upon arriving guy's said can't do yet. Said winnebago known for rusted frame that causes windshield to come detached. Need to get coach inside so frame can be ground down, repainted at best, repaired if deterioration is severe. Seems like poor metal treatment from factory for to be a problem in 10 yrs. Anyone had this windshield problem?
winDog4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 07:19 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Yes, very common. Not one of Winnebago's greatest design features! I had the problem on my 2003 coach. On mine they were able to grind the frame to clean metal, treat it, and repaint it. In some cases, the metal has to be cut out and new metal welded in.

A quick search of the forum for this topic came up with 186 hits with lots of pictures and commentary. Another search for "leaky windshield" produced 814 hits. Many of these were not caused by a rusted frame but the leaks were probably causing the frames to rust.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 04:33 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I left it to the glass company to repair the frame before replacing the windshield. I think the failing frame is the reason the windshield cracked in the firs place.
Old 10-16-2022, 04:51 PM   #4
2007 Voyage

Horrible Design

We own a 2006 Voyage. First found out about this design flaw in 2015 when our windshield cracked due to frame rust. We had the windshield replaced but were told that any future problems would not be covered unless the frame was properly repaired. So we took it to the Forest City factory for repair. They broke both windshields upon removal so we had to pay for brand new windshields as well as the repair. FYI - windshields at the factory cost much more than from a glass repair shop! And the repair didn't last too long. We just ended up paying for the job to be done again! But this time, we took it to a body shop place that was able to fix the frame and rust-proof it. And new glass on both sides again, coming out of our pocket.

Shame on Winnebago for not owning up to the design flaw and coming up with a permanent fix. Seven years is a pitiful track record, especially when we live in an area that has little rain!!! I have heard of no other company with this kind of issue!

If I knew how to upload pictures I would show you exactly what we ended up having to fix - again!

Ensmitch
2007 Voyage w/2013 CRV Towed
ensmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 05:53 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Our previous 2008 Destination had he problem. Fixed under warranty by dealer.
Known issue for years. Don't know why they never got it straightened out by their engineering department.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 07:35 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Rusting windshield frames are a Winnebago problem as several others have said. Our 2000 Brave is no exception. I've had the passenger side rebuilt and the drivers side will need work the next time the windshield needs to be replaced. We've owned (2nd owner) our 2000 Brave since 2008 and have had at least 5 windshields replaced. Seems like a lot, but all have been the result of being struck with a stone or other object.
delhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 02:20 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I believe in an ounce of prevention. Is there any reasonable way to check and see if the frames are rusting prior to having a cracked windshield?

I was thinking maybe removing the interior side posts or the paneling inside the overhead corner compartments.

Hate to just leave it to chance since it's a known problem.

Thanks
Old 10-17-2022, 09:51 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I'm not sure how much you can see from the inside. On my 2003 Itasca Sunova you could easily see it if you removed the two exterior trim pieces on either side of the windshield (3 screws each) and then remove the rubber eyebrow trim on top of the windshield. The rubber trim has a screw on each end. It is also "T" shaped with the bottom of the "T" inserted into a slot that runs along the top of the windshield. Be careful though, that slot is just a plastic strip held on by double stick tape. Pulling too hard on the rubber trim can break the plastic slot or pull the tape. If it is rusty back there, the double stick tape is probably not adhering very well anyway.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 09:59 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

When my 2008 was done they said they had to remove the front cabinets above the windshield. Not for the faint of heart!
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 11:50 AM   #10
Site Team

I believe (but not positive) the issue comes from front cap leaks that go undetected for a long time. The main culprits being the connection of the front cap to the roof at the side of the drip rail and/or leaks around the clearance lights.

I know the sealant at the front cap side at the roof radius failed on my motorhome within 3-years of ownership. This was particularly bad because the opening in the sealant was immediately adjacent to the rain drip rail exit on the side of the RV. Rain water was, in effect, being directed right inside the cap behind the front cabinets. Yet, when it rained I saw no water inside the driver's cockpit.

Finally, after one very large, very long rain storm has passed over night, when driving the next day water started dripping out of the wood trim over the driver's side window. It took a few weeks searching to find the problem and it was a super easy fix. I dug out all the old caulking and found a really large hole at this joint between the cap and the side wall of the motorhome. It was easy to fix with Manus Bond 75, which is what Winnebago recommends. It is SUPER sticky, but remains flexible when hardened.

Now I check this space every year - and even though this issue was only on the driver's side I made the same repair on the passenger side too.

Youtuber AZ EXPERT has a video on this and that's what clued me into the location of the issue. It's a good video for all Winnebago motorhome owners to watch - but for this fix that I'm talking about go to aprox the 5:00min mark:

Tags
rust