Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-07-2020, 12:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Wife wants a central vacuum in our 36M

Is it worth the hassle? Where/how would it be mounted? I think a handheld would be fine. Something like this Shark Rocket. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VQX36X7...cr_wdg_tit_rfb
99dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 05:21 PM   #2
Site Team

We use a cordless Dyson. Pricey, but worth it.

It actually came with a Class C we purchased in 2015. We moved it to our Class A in 2017.

One side note, if you're getting the things you want on your RV then you need to give an equal amount of attention to the things your wife wants. I say "equal" but "more then equal" would be your best way to go. Unless you plan to do all the vacuuming, do exactly what she asks.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:37 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I had a 5th wheel with a central vac system. When I first saw it I thought great what a good thing to have. Well after a year of using it I bought a small upright. The central vac hose for me was way to heavy, all the attachments (5) plus the pipe from hose to attachment. Then the storage, lucky I had under bed storage so I could just throw the stuff there and not worry about it. Oh I forgot changing the vac bag was also fun. Remember to put the unit at a place that's easy to change the bag..
be happy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:04 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

If she will do the cleaning give her what ever she wants ,but they are not needed, just something else to break
Cataska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 11:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We have a light weight "corded" vacuum in the MH. We will also be packing this cordless unit around. BTW, these are incredibly handy around the house (sticks and bricks)... didn't know how useful till we got one.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Produc...acuums/0880-20
Old 03-08-2020, 12:27 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Some mechanical details to consider may change the thinking. It is not too bad to install when building a coach but after finished, it takes lots more to do it. There has to be a space for the motor and filter unit, so that means a compartment lost and it is likely to be larger volume than if installed as built.
Then there has to be a space dedicated to the hose and end tools.
I would far more lean toward looking very carefully at what features might be found on a more "normal" vac.
We do want enough power, so the little vacs for car cleaning are out. But it doesn't have to be super power as RV carpet, etc. are not as plush fluffy and hard to suck the dirt out of. So a mid range motor unit with a bag which doesn't have to be dumped too often. But one of the features that bugs me and my wife is the cord!! A self winding cord does away with one of the irritations for us. Careful of getting sucked into one of the handhelds as we found them to be a nuisance when we wanted to do high and low things, like the floor and then noticing a few spider webs up high and the curtains are dusty. We find a normal to light weight hose much easier to move around in the somewhat confined space of the RV. We like a cheap little item called a Zing, fits what we want.
https://www.amazon.com/Bissell-Canis.../dp/B075PL2GDD
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:21 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the replies everyone. I do the floors at home and MH. So, there's that. lol. If we find a compact unit that will fit somewhere nicely, we will probably get it. Otherwise, just find a good handheld with tube(ing).
Old 03-10-2020, 09:04 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We had one in our last 5th wheel and my wife also wanted to add it the the 36M. I said no, too hard to do and we now use a Dyson cordless and it works very well and doesn't take up much space.
Truckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:43 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Spend your money on vacum and spend it removing carpet and put in viynol looking wood.
Carpet is old school, I live out west not many even put carpet in houses any more.
Kbwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:37 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbwitt View Post
Spend your money on vacum and spend it removing carpet and put in viynol looking wood.
Carpet is old school, I live out west not many even put carpet in houses any more.
There only 5 tiny patches of carpet in our 36M.
Old 03-11-2020, 08:43 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

I can't imagine trying to put wood or anything other than carpet over the doghouse and around the front floor board. And I damn sure don't want it on the couch or curtains and blinds. Vacs do multiple things around my house. Sometimes the RV vac even comes out to clean the car after a day at the beach!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 02:07 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Get a Dyson, no hose to mess with.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:55 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodBoss View Post
Get a Dyson, no hose to mess with.
If you check woot.com (owned by Amazon), every day, you'll find a good deal on a Dyson. We have to, an upright and a "stick". They're relatively expensive, especially if you're paying MSRP but they're good. They may be "open box" or refurbished but I haven't found that to be an issue.

When a deal pops up on Woot, don't wait, they go fast and probably won't be there tomorrow.

The stick versions are small, easy to store, and powerful. However, they aren't as versatile as the uprights and the battery runs down fairly quickly if the trigger is held down continuously. They work better in short bursts. This wouldn't be as big of an issue in a MH compared to a house:

BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 09:53 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I added a dirt devil canister vac to our 1998 Cheiftain fit perfect in a drawer under the kitchen table and ran the hose through the drawer face and plugged it into an outlet.
Glenn C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 09:56 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
If you check woot.com (owned by Amazon), every day, you'll find a good deal on a Dyson. We have to, an upright and a "stick". They're relatively expensive, especially if you're paying MSRP but they're good. They may be "open box" or refurbished but I haven't found that to be an issue.

When a deal pops up on Woot, don't wait, they go fast and probably won't be there tomorrow.

The stick versions are small, easy to store, and powerful. However, they aren't as versatile as the uprights and the battery runs down fairly quickly if the trigger is held down continuously. They work better in short bursts. This wouldn't be as big of an issue in a MH compared to a house:

Thanks for the video & link. I like finding bargains on items I need.
Old 03-13-2020, 05:22 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Central vacs are worthless. I know I've had two. A good Dyson or Shark rechargeable are the only way to go.
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 04:17 PM   #17
JCM
Winnebago Camper

We have had 3 motorhomes with central vacuums. Wouldn't be without it but did require a battery powered power head. There is so much dust in southern California and Arizona and up here we have a have a hay field. With the separate power head it cleaned the carpets and floor tile and made quick work. The hose fit under each bed. Now my problem is that we have ordered a Triple FRB Wonder (24 feet) and there is not only no vacuum but there is no room for one - back to the Wisk broom.
Old 03-15-2020, 04:59 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

I have one of these. Paid $23. If it broke I’d buy another.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/BISSELL-3...ll&athena=true
BigWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 05:56 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

I have installed 3 of the Dirt Devil central vacuums and I would not be without one in any RV I owned. They are not real difficult to install and are very powerful. They come with a 30' hose and I sometimes send it through a window to vacuum out the jeep after a run in the dirt. Also keep a small dust buster for small touch up jobs.
mikemakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 06:49 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
Is it worth the hassle? Where/how would it be mounted? I think a handheld would be fine. Something like this Shark Rocket. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VQX36X7...cr_wdg_tit_rfb
This is a simple project. I bought a Red Devil brand unit. It is small, powerful and works great. The only thing you see is the flip up door like you see on household units. I had pull out drawers under my dinette seats. There was room to mount the unit behind the drawer. I ran the cord to power and I was up and running. The hose is long enough to reach both front and back. Has various tools that come with it. You can mount the unit wherever you have room and run the hose and door to your chosen spot. I wouldn’t use a cordless unit compared to this. I store my hose cooled up in an upper cupboard and use only two of the tools. I store the metal wand in the corner of one of my closets. No mess and no problems. Need to empty the bag at the end of the season or as needed.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote