Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-17-2007, 02:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We just brought our new 2007 Itasca Meridian 34H home from the dealer. It's a replacement for our 2004 Journey 34H which was totaled back in January.

This is a beautiful MH, with almost all the amenities one could wish for. and many improvements in interesting little things over the 2004 models. For instance, the clock on the microwave convection oven no longer goes off when the 110V power is shutdown.

However, there are some things missing or changed, that seem to be trivial, as far as a cost factor is concerned, that at least for me would make me say WOW!.

For instance:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> The Smart Wheel with the Cruise Control, Windshield Wipers, and the light flashers on the 04 Journey is missing on the 07 Meridian. That is a real convenience item as well as an important safety item for folks not used to driving heavy equipment that allows them to keep both hands on the wheel full time.
<LI>The Powerline system automatically selects between 50 Amp Shoreline and 30 Amp shoreline, and can work even with 20 Amp Shoreline. So why shouldn't the 50 -&gt; 30 dogbone and the 30 -&gt;20 connector already be in the power bay instead of me having to go to Camping World and buy them for $15?
<LI> The Meridian has the 18 Ft Powered Patio Awning with the wind sensor. But, the Entry Awning is manual and the crank is stored in the long bay on the street side of the coach. On the 04 Journey 34H, both were powered, and operated off of the same controls. Isn't the Meridian the up scale version?
<LI>The roof vent in the lavatory has to be opened by hand before the fan turns on like in the kitchen. In the 04 Journey, the lavatory vent opened and turned on when you activated the wall switch.
<LI>The meridian has two TV's and 2 Sound systems both of them excellent. However, the surround sound stereo only works when you're playing a DVD.[/list]
This is a beautiful coach, and the fit and finish inside and outside are really great. Everyone that sees it comments on the Golden Pond color scheme. All of the major systems are excellent and work well. In short we love this MH.

But, it seems that someone in design and / or manufacturing should be looking for the little inexpensive details that add to the WOW!
Tuney-GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 02:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We just brought our new 2007 Itasca Meridian 34H home from the dealer. It's a replacement for our 2004 Journey 34H which was totaled back in January.

This is a beautiful MH, with almost all the amenities one could wish for. and many improvements in interesting little things over the 2004 models. For instance, the clock on the microwave convection oven no longer goes off when the 110V power is shutdown.

However, there are some things missing or changed, that seem to be trivial, as far as a cost factor is concerned, that at least for me would make me say WOW!.

For instance:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> The Smart Wheel with the Cruise Control, Windshield Wipers, and the light flashers on the 04 Journey is missing on the 07 Meridian. That is a real convenience item as well as an important safety item for folks not used to driving heavy equipment that allows them to keep both hands on the wheel full time.
<LI>The Powerline system automatically selects between 50 Amp Shoreline and 30 Amp shoreline, and can work even with 20 Amp Shoreline. So why shouldn't the 50 -> 30 dogbone and the 30 ->20 connector already be in the power bay instead of me having to go to Camping World and buy them for $15?
<LI> The Meridian has the 18 Ft Powered Patio Awning with the wind sensor. But, the Entry Awning is manual and the crank is stored in the long bay on the street side of the coach. On the 04 Journey 34H, both were powered, and operated off of the same controls. Isn't the Meridian the up scale version?
<LI>The roof vent in the lavatory has to be opened by hand before the fan turns on like in the kitchen. In the 04 Journey, the lavatory vent opened and turned on when you activated the wall switch.
<LI>The meridian has two TV's and 2 Sound systems both of them excellent. However, the surround sound stereo only works when you're playing a DVD.[/list]
This is a beautiful coach, and the fit and finish inside and outside are really great. Everyone that sees it comments on the Golden Pond color scheme. All of the major systems are excellent and work well. In short we love this MH.

But, it seems that someone in design and / or manufacturing should be looking for the little inexpensive details that add to the WOW!
Old 03-17-2007, 03:31 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

RC,
Congratulations on your new Meridian and use it in good health.
I guess you really can't have your cake and eat it too however I guess they gave you somethings and took somethings away. It seems though the items they took away are no big deal.
I like the pullout awning better than the electric one as it can be posiyioned lower but that is my preference. We like our 04 Adventurer and the ammenities it has. I finally got all the bugs out of it except I have to do some work on the suspension system like change shocks and install a rear stabilizer or than that I am happy with it. This will probably be our last Motorhome so hopefully it will give us miles of pleasure which I'm sure yours will as it is a Winnebago.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 03:36 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

We loved our Journey, and I'm sure we'll be very happy with our Meridian.

We only ever planned to own one MH, and the Journey was it until a drunk nailed it right in the drive train at 40+ MPH.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:36 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Great rig. We drove one and fell in love with it but it was to big for our parking spot. I need to get a bigger parking spot.
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 04:04 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

We also had to buy our power adapters.

Disappearing features are euphemistically called de-contenting" by the marketing departments. This is sort of like your candy bar taking up only half the space of its predecessor in the package. Corporate bean counters always drive engineering.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 05:37 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

RC,

De-contenting aside, I wish someone would nail mine and let me have a branby-newby.

But seriously, it looks like the smart wheel is the biggie that you can't do anything about. The others can be re-contented with a liberal application of $$$. I think that I read recently on this forum that the new surround sound works with the TV or radio as long as the DVD player is powered up. Have you tried that?

Anyway, congratulations on the new unit - wishing you many safe and happy miles!
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 06:29 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Agree with John Canfield that it's all about finding ways to lower cost...

I think it is up to the dealer to make sure you have some basic stuff when you buy a new rig. With every new boat I've purchased over the years (3), the dealer/s always made sure there were life vests, throw cushion, and other essential accessories. The Winne dealer we used for the Journey put an array of dogbone adaptors in the electrical compartment and even offered me a sewer hose kit and new water hose (I declined those since I already had them).

The only 'smarts' my steering wheel gets is from the driver and he ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer .
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:34 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

The Meridian is the entry level diesel in the Itasca line as you know. When Winnebago added the Ellipse to the Itasca diesel lineup they reduced the standard features on the entry level Meridian.
The diesel lineup standard features could be looked at as good (Meridian), better(Ellipse), best(Horizon).

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:56 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Fortunately or unfortunately as the case may be, the Meridian 34H is as good as it gets in a 35 ft pusher, unless you go up another 100K to a Country Coach Inspire 360.

Guess over time I'll just have to spend some $$$ and add the stuff I want.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:05 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

After the switch is in TV position then you have to turn on the DVD player which is also the suround sound amplifier and you will need the remote. After it checks for a DVD then hit function button on remote once to AV-IN with TV on turn up volume on DVD unit with remote to near max. Next the TV remote is needed to get into the TV menus under sound options and select different ones till you hear the surround sound speakers. Surround sound volume setting up to 50 and TV sound just so you can hear it from the TV speakers. Ours the sound setting on TV is Sound = Simulated and MTS = Stero. The third function on the Surround sound unit DVD player is a FM radio and the remote controls the stations and volume. Hope this helps.
KennethM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 03:58 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for the information Kenneth. I'll give it a try tomorrow.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:09 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Hi RC. I guess we'll be twins. I'll be taking delivery on my 34H golden pond this week.

My first choice of color was Sedona. I almost did't go through with this purchase because I loved that Sedona color so much. I'm glad you're getting good comments on Golden Pond. It's a little lighter than I wanted but hopefully I'll be happy with as time goes on.

Congratulations!

edit: Oh! You said everybody "comments on the golden pond color scheme" but didn't say if their comments were good or bad! *lol*
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:32 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

All the comments have been GOOD! Rocco.
Maybe we'll meet up on the road one day.