Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2020, 07:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Where to get Oil Changed

Do you go to a MH mechanic or to a Ford dealer to get the oil changed?
Dlvgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:31 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Different chassis from you, but principle applies. We've learned to avoid Freightliner, dealers, and Camping World.

Was changing oil in Cummins and Onan myself. Changed my mind after awhile.��

Now give W.W.Williams my chassis business, still take care of all things coach myself. They are all over, but the one here in Tucson is top drawer.

BrakeMax has given me great auto and small truck service over the years. They offered to do my Journey oils and coolant, but...

Point is, you have options. Oil and coolant is not rocket science. Just dirty.��

If you know a flangehead you trust, works with you and is reasonable when drawing up the bill, that's the one.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchinahand View Post
Different chassis from you, but principle applies. We've learned to avoid Freightliner, dealers, and Camping World.

Was changing oil in Cummins and Onan myself. Changed my mind after awhile.��

Now give W.W.Williams my chassis business, still take care of all things coach myself. They are all over, but the one here in Tucson is top drawer.

BrakeMax has given me great auto and small truck service over the years. They offered to do my Journey oils and coolant, but...

Point is, you have options. Oil and coolant is not rocket science. Just dirty.��

If you know a flangehead you trust, works with you and is reasonable when drawing up the bill, that's the one.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Thanks for the ideas. I know I could do it myself, but anymore, I just prefer not to mess with it.
Old 06-28-2020, 08:54 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

This is one that I did my own for a while and did it once on the one I have now but after looking for the oil and filter I needed, I really got down to it not being worth the hassle of me doing as the savings was very minor. So I now have it done and not found a "bad" nor a "good" place to have it done reliably.
A 30 foot is not so large that many places can do it but some would really just as soon not bother to do something they don't know much about. Not that it's hard but some are just guys like us who don't know what it takes to get to the parts like the drain plug and the fill, so they say they can't do it. Other guys are more open to assuming they can figure it out and say fine. Some Walmart are okay and have bays to do it while there are small operators like the local "Tuffey's Auto who just have me park it in back and bring out a couple items and go for it. They did it the same way I do except they didn't get as dirty!
Shop around and see who acts interested for what price. Walmart did it for the normal price plus one quart for larger engines. I find one place is just as likely to leave the plug loose as another and the guys who work there change every time I go by anyway.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:51 PM   #5
Site Team

You’ll have your best luck with an RV service shop. An independent one, not a dealer if possible. Or a Truck service shop would be a good choice, too.

Ford Commercial truck dealers are supposed to do this for RVs but finding on that will is really a chore.

In the San Antonio area I live in there are three different places I go to all are either truck service shops or independent RV repair shops.

I did it myself once, the oil drain plug is directly above a frame cross member. When you remove the plug the oil hits the cross member and goes everywhere, plus there’s not room to put something there to catch the oil.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:02 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

There was a thread here maybe four months back, perhaps covering Cummins, where the dealers were charging something like $400. Maybe that thread has some suggestions.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:45 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

The solution for the drain plug location is what one guy used when he did the change out in the parking lot. whether it was a standard issue or he just pulled it off his normal equipment, he had a pan with the drain offset to avoid the frame members. Something like this:
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...AaAgFyEALw_wcB
I noticed the pan and he brought it and another catch basin for draining and then for grease, a battery powered gun and a barrel with pump on a wheeled gizmo for refill. He apparently does a fair amount of trucks or other large vehicles and feels it worthwhile enough to get the handy equipment to do it quick and easy.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:20 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
You’ll have your best luck with an RV service shop. An independent one, not a dealer if possible. Or a Truck service shop would be a good choice, too.

Ford Commercial truck dealers are supposed to do this for RVs but finding on that will is really a chore.

In the San Antonio area I live in there are three different places I go to all are either truck service shops or independent RV repair shops.

I did it myself once, the oil drain plug is directly above a frame cross member. When you remove the plug the oil hits the cross member and goes everywhere, plus there’s not room to put something there to catch the oil.
I'm going to be near San Antonio in a few weeks, staying at the Medina Lake RV Resort at 215 Spettle Rd., Lakehills, TX 78063. Are any of the places you mention, close to there? I'm going right through San Antonio to get there, so perhaps I can call them and schedule something to stop on the way.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:09 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlvgolf View Post
I'm going to be near San Antonio in a few weeks, staying at the Medina Lake RV Resort at 215 Spettle Rd., Lakehills, TX 78063. Are any of the places you mention, close to there? I'm going right through San Antonio to get there, so perhaps I can call them and schedule something to stop on the way.
I think the best one on your way to Medina Lake would be in Boerne, TX (pronounced Bernie, by the way). Plus, it's a very quaint, old German town that you'll like to visit.

It's an Auto repair shop that has a larger truck repair section attached. They did my last oil change.

Lester's Auto Center, 32128-A IH10 West Exit #543, Boerne, TX 78006
830-249-2501

When I went last, they didn't take reservations. And I just drove there and they took me right then no waiting. I don't know if that's changed or not.

https://www.lestersautomotivecenter....hassis-Repairs
Old 06-29-2020, 03:15 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I went to a Jiffy Lube once (I usually change my own oil) and they changed it on the asphalt outside the service bay. You would need to call first to see if they would do that.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 03:30 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I think the best one on your way to Medina Lake would be in Boerne, TX (pronounced Bernie, by the way). Plus, it's a very quaint, old German town that you'll like to visit.

It's an Auto repair shop that has a larger truck repair section attached. They did my last oil change.

Lester's Auto Center, 32128-A IH10 West Exit #543, Boerne, TX 78006
830-249-2501

When I went last, they didn't take reservations. And I just drove there and they took me right then no waiting. I don't know if that's changed or not.

https://www.lestersautomotivecenter....hassis-Repairs
Thanks for the information!
Old 06-29-2020, 06:29 PM   #12
Veteran & RV Owner

I go to a local Ford Dealer that can handle motorhomes. They do the multi-point inspection also. The MH dealer will change my oil, but they do nothing else.
armullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 04:39 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I have found that Ford dealers (in general) do not want to handle motorhomes. They usually cannot put them up on a lift and they don't want to work on it if it is not on the lift. I go to a local mechanic guy that will crawl under and around.
Keldog4511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 05:08 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

When I had our V10 class A, I took it to a basic auto mechanic shop in town. He charged me the same as doing my truck or Jeep. Easy - peasy and fairly cheap. I didn't ask about the cost for the new diesel. I'll find out this fall.
I'm young at 64 but tired!!
Old 07-05-2020, 05:27 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I am fortunate that I found an automotive and truck repair that knows and understands all forms of engines. The other plus for this repair facility is that he lifts my motorhome and checks the under carriage from front to back. Doing research and visiting repair facilities will give you peace of mind.

PeterK
2018 Winnebago Vista LX 35F
PeteK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 06:25 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

My local NAPA dealer does my oil, filter, all fluid, air filter, and checks all 6 tire pressures. Very reasonable price.
Paul038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:13 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Its a Ford Super Duty Truck so any mechanic that can change the oil in a Super Duty Truck can deal with it. Whether they feel they must have a lift or not is another matter. Most should be able to take care of even a full chassis lube without even jacking it up never mind needing a lift. A low profile creeper at best is all thats needed if they do not like crawling around. A captive oil drain pan sits quite nicely on top of the front axle and steering stabilizer too so not problem on that front either.

The air and oil filters are common Ford filters so you don't need to go to a motor home dealer to get them. Most Advance Auto Parts, NAPA, Walmarts, etc will often have the filters and the oil on the shelf.

The F53 is pretty easy for any mechanic worth his pay to service. Even the brakes are really nothing out of the ordinary and require no special tools.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:18 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

I have used quick service where they have a tall enough door for my Class A gas, engine in front, but most don't. When in my home town the independent garage I have used for cars woks great and I trust him. He just does it in his drive, a class A is easy for young folks to crawl under.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:23 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

MkgBen, I go to a Ford Agency that services trucks... Not all agencies can fit a Motor Home in their service stalls.... You have a call around and ask if they can fit your rig. I find Camping World is just a expensive a Ford agency and they want to rebuild your whole rig when you go in... I don't put up with their nonsense if I am on the road and need some service... But most RV dealers can do that work also. If they can fit you in.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:00 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

I use the service department where I bought my RV because there is no Freightliner or Sprinter dealer nearby. I know that I could save money doing it myself but I don't want any issues should a warranty claim arrive.
I figure that I spent a lot of money on our RV so I don't skimp on the maintenance.

Retired "Quiet Professional". Lifetime HSUS and ASPCA member and supporter.
71_340 is offline   Reply With Quote