Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-19-2020, 11:47 PM   #1

Where Can I Get My Large Slideout Adjusted? (2004 Itasca-Horizon, HWH Flat Floor)

I have a 2004 Itasca "Horizon" 40AD with 3 slides. My HWH "StoreMore" flat-floor on the drivers side may need adjusting.

Note: The passenger slide and the bedroom slide are working perfectly!

I think this is likely my large driver's side Slideout needs adjusting, because the exterior paint no longer matches up and it appears it's about 1/4" low when fully retracted (closed).

==> Can anyone tell me if a 1/4" low paint match is an indication my Telfon plastic glide shoes are cracked or does the slidout just need adjusting? Note: My slide goes in and out without binding, but there is no access to the HWH rams I can find to limit the extension. It must be there, but I can't find it.
So it's hiding somewhere?

* In fill extension, the slide drops to rest on the horizontal bar, but it drops too low. I know this because floor is low on the kitchen end (inside view) and it is extremely tight behind the driver's seat-end.

* And when my slide is fully extended it seem to be extremely tight against the coach side wall... and this is of most concern to me. (Too tight in my opinion.)

===> If you ask me the large slide need to be adjusted UP 1/4" on the kitchen end of the slide; and the floor height need to be raised 1/4" when fully extended. I just don't know how to do this?

SO I WOULD LIKE TO FIND SOMEONE WHO CAN ADJUST MY LARGE HWH SLIDE?

* Is the only game in town HWH in Iowa? Or perhaps Winnebago in Forest City, IA?

* Every year I travel 5,000 miles so I will gladly travel to a qualify mechanic who understands how to adjust my HWH slideout rams... but if I need to replace those Teflon plastic glides this person need to know how to do that too!

Here's a video on how to replace those Teflon plastic glide shoes, but in my case I'm hoping I just need to find someone who can adjust my slide.

Video reference for replacing plastic glide shoes:

Can you point me in the right direction to get my HWH "flat floor" adjusted anywhere in the USA?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Large Slide Out Adjustment Diagram.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	175031   Click image for larger version

Name:	Large Slide Teflon Guides.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	175032  

Name:	Slide Roller Under Kitchen.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	175033  
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:16 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

You might try Stuart's Service at RVLEVELING.COM in Elkhart, IN if it's closer. He's my go-to guy for HWH jacks and such. May or may not be able to work on your slide. Give him a call.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:48 AM   #3
Site Team

The Winnebago Service Center in Forest City, Iowa is one place as is HWH in Moscow, Iowa.

I’m sure there are places around both Elkhart, Indiana and Junction City, Oregon too due to RV production facilities.

In Arizona this place is a HWH authorized Service Center:

http://www.3tsrv.com/
Old 09-20-2020, 06:52 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I had some odd problems with our Sunova’s main slide a year after we purchased. Went to Hills RV in North Conway NH at Winnies recommendation, VERY happy with work done and it was still working perfectly when I sold it last year. Details here...

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/sli...ed-370026.html
Old 09-21-2020, 12:21 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

A few years ago only the front glides, the ones you can see, were replaced at HWH factory in Moscow, IA, located right off I-80. It was obvious they were crumbling. The slide was not removed but jacked up. The back ones were not done because the slide actually was working fine. Very reasonably priced. Make an appointment. At that time they had RV sites with W/E and available dump.
Cheryl Bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 02:32 PM   #6

Thanks for the suggestions. I contacted Stewarts who is great for parts, but they told me to contact HWH Corp in Iowa. (Service Appointment Ph# 800-321-3494.)

So I am still looking for another option. And I have yet to hear back from 3-T's RV Products Inc. in Lake Havasu, AZ. However, I am hopeful they can help. In fact, 3 weeks ago I passed thru Lake Havasu and I will be back in 2021 when I head for Rocky Point, Mexico to camp on the beach at The Reef RV Park.

Rocky Point is like an RV Spa! ...And I love the fresh, dry ocean air!

My coach is stored in Texas, but I will be going to New Orleans and then Arizona in 2021. Then Montana and maybe Chicago when the Cubs games are safe to attend. So this maybe the time I visit Winnebago or HWH in Iowa.

I would rather find a shop to work with in Texas, Louisiana, Arizona, NM, or Utah. Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:09 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Have you called HWH to see if they can point you somewhere? You also may want to PM azpete, a Winnieowner who works for HWH. He's been a great help to me and many others. He also may have a simple fix for you.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:51 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Where, what city are you stored, in or near in Texas?
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:56 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Wayne M. Do you know someone in Texas that does HWH slide adjustment. I need mine adjusted also. I live in Huntsville, TX. Thanks
Raylc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 07:54 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

also looking for HWH slide work, if anyone knows of a Elkhart location. please post the Info.

I have adjusted my floor height on the two pistons that part is easy. I cut a opening in a large box wrench to fit the nuts on the end of the cylinders. I found if i back off full extend a little the nuts are easy to adjust.

my problem is i changed carpet to vinyl and need a carpeted ramp installed and the nylon glides need to be replaced.

thanks
TJ
thunderjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 11:25 PM   #11

Thunderjet: Can you post a picture on where you cut the adjustment hole to address the slide for "full extension?" ...I think you are talking about the "End View " of the extension rod, but in my coach these Rams on the passenger side are covered and I have yet to figure out how to access them? So any additional details will help.

As for adjusting the HWH-Stormore height, to compensate for wear in those plastic shims, I think I have that part understood:

* Take a another look at the video Kevin G. posted on YouTube listed in previous post.

* Raise the rams by loosening the shim housing.... and then adjust those double-threaded adjustment nuts. Then tighten everything up.

* Then raise the horizon bar so those rollers just barely rest on top to hold the weight.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HWH Pump Manifold 'A'  (Side view).jpg
Views:	165
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	175361   Click image for larger version

Name:	HWH Pump Manifold 'A' with 4 Jack Solenoids (mp69416 (JPG).jpg
Views:	123
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	175362  

Name:	HWH Pump Manifold 'B' with 2 Room Slideout (JPG).jpg
Views:	124
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	175363   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slideout Valves - Under Front Steps 2.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	175364  

Name:	1 Large Slide Out Adjustment Diagram.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	175365  
Old 10-18-2020, 04:09 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Both of my cylinder ends were exposed only thing I cut was my box wrench. I couldn't find any other of my tools to turn these nuts.

The nuts are on the passenger side of MH behind and above basement storage.

My slide was dropping too low after carpet to vinyl change. I was so low i had trouble pulling slide up to floor level to bring slide inboard. now it is level and lifts properly.

TJ
Old 10-18-2020, 10:38 PM   #13

thunderjet: So you are saying in your coach you had access to the ends of the rams where you adjusted the extension of your slide by making modifications to your wrench so it would fit inside. Is that right?

... But how did you raise the height of your slideout?

It's also interesting your slideout was "lower" after you replaced the carpet with vinyl, but I get the impression you did NOT replace the "plastic glide shoe?"

Were your paint strips off by 1/4" and now they are aligned?

So I'm sorry to belabor these points, but I still am not confident I know how to adjust my HWH-StoreMore-Flat Floor? Can you elaborate a bit more. This is a subject I have been a long time to solve. Thank you!
Old 10-20-2020, 06:20 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

My ram ends can be seen from the under side but up in a small cavity too tight for turning a wrench or pliers.

My slide floor had carpet wrapped under the floor, and the main floor carpeting went down the ramp. After carpet removal I screwed a tapered strip of Azek to the aluminum ramp to help the two aluminum surfaces slide up. After adjusting incorrectly every bolt on the motorhome, I think slide was dropping too low due too much travel from the rams.

hope this helps
TJ

Tags
hwh, slideout, slide, itasca