Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-13-2019, 12:03 PM   #21
PIC
Winnebago Owner

Pulled over once on a gravel berm in MT and it cost me a tire! Thankfully I have a 2 axle TT and had a new spare too. Couldn't repair the damaged tire for normal use as the bolt hole up above the tread. Recently, like this week, when finishing trip from FL to CA and through the San Joaquin Delta I pulled out 3 times. Did so after 5-6 cars were behind me. So, maybe 18+/- cars got by me. Not one honk of thanks. Stopped pulling out. Next time they should leave earlier. Welcome back to CA !
PIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:01 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

A lot of the problem is with drivers who won't pass big rigs.

They just don't want to pass. I long ago gave up trying to majorly slow down when the dashed center line for passing is there. I can see for sometimes a half a mile or even 3/4 of a mile down a straight away and they won't pass. As soon as I see 1 or 2 cars back, starting to pass the first one behind me and also passing me, I will take my foot off the accelerator, sometimes brake a little and let them pass.

Now if a trucker comes up behind me, I will work diligently to let them pass. One because they usually will pass and two they are working for a living and need to get on down the road.

So many times I have a single car come up behind me and then just match my speed almost always staying 3-4 car lengths back, but they just won't pass. Then a 2nd, 3rd and maybe a 4th car comes up behind them. Now there is a line of cars behind me, and that mostly is not my fault.

When I have 4 or more cars behind me I will work hard to find a place to let them pass, or if a paved pullout is available I will pull over and stop, unless it is on a 6%-10% grade.

Another gripe is when a 1/2 or a mile long passing lane comes up. I quickly move over into the right and lane and drop my speed 5-10mph. However the cars behind me have NO sense of urgency. It sometimes takes them 15-30 seconds to realize there is a passing lane, then they pass slowly and maybe 2-3 other cars pass, but the rest are stuck because the passing lane ends. I have even had the 1st car that wouldn't pass when they could have earlier, still stay behind me, blocking others that would pass when a dashed line passing area is available.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:22 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the replies, this is interesting. I was out walking by a ferry terminal and stopped and asked the question to a Washington State Patrolman there.

He said the 5 car rule to pull over does not apply if you are going the speed limit. He then acknowledged that there are many drivers in a big hurry, plus don’t like being behind a Motorhome at any speed. And said if you are going the speed limit use common sense, and if you have cars backed up - you should try to use a PAVED pull out area when you can. He then added (unofficially) or if it’s safe just bump it up a little and go 5 over. He agreed we should not need to pull off on unimproved or gravel areas.
Seacrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 12:21 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

Perhaps I should have mentioned in my previous post that here in Alaska there are usually frequent extra lanes to allow slow traffic to move to the right and following traffic to pass easily. This is particularly true of the Seward, Glenn, and Richardson Highways in mountainous areas.

Courteous RV drivers will slow up a bit when in the passing areas so as many others as possible can pass.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:49 PM   #25
Winnie-Wise

As most have indicated, I like to pull over when safe to do so and as soon as possible. I would prefer to have the cars in front of me than on my bumper and the driver being impatient.
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote