Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2020, 03:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Question ? What Toilet Model? +Changing Ball Seal

Can anyone identify this porcelain toilet model?
All I know is that it has a barely readable "Thetford" on the lid. No other identifying mark anywhere, makes me wonder just how proud they are of what they make.
Weird that the pic comes out 90* "off".

Anyone have a direct link to video or step-by-step photos of how to change the leaking seal?

Accompanying manuals no use, line drawings don't look like what I've got, they look more like the all plastic two-piece take-apart toilet we had in our 5er.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toilet.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	175491  
DCMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:35 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

It appears to be the Aqua-Magic style plus or Aqua-Magic style 2. A picture of the pedal would be the key. I'm guessing but I'm looking at the bowl and the seat hinge, it looks like the one I have.
Old 10-26-2020, 05:14 PM   #3

I have a different brand of toilet that operates on the same ball and seal principle, and when it starts to leak I use dielectric grease on the rubber seal and that does the trick for about 1-2 months.

Vasoline is too thin, but you can try using that first to see if your seal will hold water after application; and then you can go to dielectric grease which is thicker and will not wash away as fast.

You apply this grease in between flushes... so be careful not to get your fingers smashed! ...And I would recommend you clean the bowl first. (Da!)

And I know this is going to get me in trouble with the naysayers out there, but I can tell you this: If my toilet ever failed, electrically or mechanically, I would not repair it. Instead I would do this if you don't boon dock very much...

...I would install a single piece, full height, china bowl, residential toilet, in the $250 range, that you can buy with a 11" rough-in, and a 24"-25" depth from the wall, and a 0.8 gal/flush; and then I would reduce that flush more by putting a plastic coke bottle inside your reservoir.

Note: I think you can even install a 12" rough-in, and your toilet tank will be firmly pressed against the back wall, but that's okay. If push coms to shove they make a 3" offset flange you can probably use. (No guarantees.) And I would add a block of 1.5x1.5 wood across the back wall with a hidden hold down piece of wood... inside the cavity of the toilet... to properly anchor the toilet.

...Not sure what to do now? ...Just ask your wife!
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

DCMac, that's a fairly new toilet. I'd try as suggested cleaning the seal, turning off the water and using plumbers grease from any hardware store. Then turn the water on and fill with some water and come back later to check the results. While removing the toilet and changing the seal isn't too difficult it's just not a fun job. There are lots of videos when you identify the specific toilet.
Old 10-27-2020, 04:36 AM   #5
Just Trying to Help

DC-

Yes, that looks exactly like the Thetford Aqua-Magic Style II (link here, model 42056) that I have in my Monaco. I have a replacement ball and seal set, but have not had to install it yet. Cleaning and lubricating the seal seems to have kept it in working condition. I have replaced the valve, once so far.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 09:33 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Side view foot pedal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ToiletPedal.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	175514  
DCMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 09:57 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMac View Post
Side view foot pedal.
Yes definitely the style 2 and you have the short profile due to that raised mounting platform. Click the link that Mark provided and it will give you the parts list and pictures. It really is easy. Just do a YouTube web search for your unit and pick one that makes sense to you. I hope this gets you over the hump.
Old 11-01-2020, 06:05 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

In addition to the plumbers grease, an RV tech told me to pour hot water on top of the ball valve with it closed. Let it sit a few minutes and then flush. The hot water helps rehydrate the seal. Worked for me and the repair lasted well over a year, until I traded in the rig.
NYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:57 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Over my 10 years of full timing, I had two Thetford Style II toilets. I liked then when they worked which was the vast majority of time. But after three years, on the first, the ball valve seemed to get sticky, and would not close properly, tried all the lubricants, and such, got temporary relief. Then it developed a slight drip at the water/flush valve in the back. I got the $12 kit and replaced it in about 20 minutes. No more problems with the drip, and the ball valve worked like new. That lasted about 11 months, replaced the kit again, another 11 months of perfect operation, and had to replace the kit again.

At the 6 year point, I decided to replace the toilet completely, and got about 15 months of perfect operation before needing to change out that water/flush valve, but then the frequency got smaller and smaller again. After getting stuck in AZ for two months during the Covid panic last spring, I needed to replace that valve twice. I started surmising that with the very hot temperatures, and very hard water, the valve chamber in the toilet itself was getting gummed up. I had been camping more in desert areas in my later years, so it probably built up quicker (yes I know there are water softeners out there)

On the way back to the Pacific NW, I stopped at a Camping World and picked up a new Dometic toilet (that has a cartridge water/flush valve). So far, so good, really like the upgrade.

Tags
seal, toilet