Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2009, 08:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

What engine in the 2010 Adventurer FRED?

Recently saw where 2010 Winnebago was going to have the GM MaxForce 7 FRED available in the Vista and Sightseer and the FRED in the Adventurer would be on a Freightliner chassis. Anyone know what engine this should be?
Old 07-19-2009, 06:19 AM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Recently saw where 2010 Winnebago was going to have the GM MaxxForce 7 FRED available in the Vista and Sightseer and the FRED in the Adventurer would be on a Freightliner chassis. Anyone know what engine this should be?
ghostrider, At the last Louisville RVIA Exposition Winnebago had on display a Workhorse front engine diesel on a Sunstar in a 20,500 GVW (W20D) rating and although not shown there could also be an option for a 22,000 front engine diesel as well (W22D). The Workhorse front engine D Series chassis in this GVW range will feature the MaxxForce 7 engine with 620 fl/ft of torque.

FRED being a trade tame for Freightliner did show a Hybrid FRED on an Adventurer. We have read press on this coach where it is making the rounds this summer and if one looks hard enough I think it may be on display at the GNR but no guarantees in that regard. A FRED has a 5.9L Cummins engine.

Cummins 5.9L Electronic Diesel
300 HP 600 lb-ft Torque
Variable Geometry Turbo-Engine Brake
Leece-Neville 160 AMP Alternator

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

DriVer, thanks for the information. I did not initially realize that FRED referred to a Freightliner trademark.

The information I recently saw showed a Workhorse W20D with the 230 hp 620 ft.lb. torque MaxxForce 7 diesel engine available in the 2010 Vista, and the W20D and W22D available in the Sightseer with the same engine.

This same information showed an International FRED available in the Adventurer with a 27,000 GVWR in most of the Adventurer floorplans.

I went to the Freightliner website and they were showing two different HP versions of a 6.7 diesel engine in the FRED's.
Let me change that information- on the website under "FRED spec sheet" they showed a 300 hp 5.9 diesel engine, but under "FRED brochure" they showed a 6.7 diesel available with either 300 HP or 340 HP.

Freightliner also talked about the ecoFRED but it was not shown as an option on the Winnebago information I saw. Maybe later.

I'm sure when Winnebago finally realeases the 2010 information to the public all will be known. Just hoping someone had some inside information.

Thanks again.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:52 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Well I just checked the Winnebago website a few minutes ago and the 2010 models are now posted. It turns out the Adventurer will have the Freightliner FRED with the Cummins ISB 6.7 300-hp engine and the Allison 2350 MH transmission.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:25 AM   #5
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Well I just checked the Winnebago website a few minutes ago and the 2010 models are now posted. It turns out the Adventurer will have the Freightliner FRED with the Cummins ISB 6.7 300-hp engine and the Allison 2350 MH transmission.
I looked over there this morning and saw the same description.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:16 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Drove one at GNR this week, it is OK but not worth the $26,000 for the FRED option. No air ride and no air brakes! The jake brake was nice though ...
ROMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:01 AM   #7
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMAD View Post
The Jake brake was nice though ...
ROMAD, What you are calling a Jake or Jacobs brake is actually an exhaust brake.

The Jake brake works internally inside the engine with the valve train and is very expensive. Large displacement diesel engines are typically equipped with Jake brakes.

The exhaust brake on the FRED uses a device to choke off the exhaust stream aft of the exhaust manifold. This system is a bolt on device and is effective and yet inexpensive compared to a full Jake brake.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:29 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Part of the rationale for the FRED is the diesel engine/transmission without all the other systems (air brakes, air suspension, etc) which make a diesel pusher. For someone like me that is a plus. I've had a diesel pusher and grew increasingly uncomfortable as it got older with all the systems needing repair or soon to need maintenance. I now have a gasser. Love the simplicity, but miss the driveability of the diesel engine and transmission combo. A FRED would be a very logical compromise for someone like myself. Guess that is why there are choices.

On the Sightseer/Vista lines, I am shocked to see the Workhorse diesel chassis only has a 40 gallon tank. Even with twice the mileage, one would still have to stop just as often for fuel. Nothing gained that way.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:40 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRohrers View Post
Part of the rationale for the FRED is the diesel engine/transmission without all the other systems (air brakes, air suspension, etc) which make a diesel pusher. For someone like me that is a plus. I've had a diesel pusher and grew increasingly uncomfortable as it got older with all the systems needing repair or soon to need maintenance. I now have a gasser. Love the simplicity, but miss the driveability of the diesel engine and transmission combo. A FRED would be a very logical compromise for someone like myself. Guess that is why there are choices.

On the Sightseer/Vista lines, I am shocked to see the Workhorse diesel chassis only has a 40 gallon tank. Even with twice the mileage, one would still have to stop just as often for fuel. Nothing gained that way.
Richard,

I agree with what you say and would like to have tried out a FRED, and may do so some time in the future. It was just that with our first class A we didn't want to put an extra $25,000 (more or less) into it until we were sure that is the way we want to go. I also really don't see why Winnebago put such a premium cost on the FRED as compared to other manufacturers. I am sure they had a reason, may have just been the cost of the chassis, engine, transmission combo but these are the same things other manufacturers also face.

But like you I was also surprised at the Sightseer/Vista lines with the 40 gal. fuel tank on the WH diesel chassis and also the fact that the WH diesel was rated at less gvwr than the gas engines in some cases but never more than the gas engines. It will be interesting to see what the feedback is from buyers of those units.

Austin
Old 07-29-2009, 11:19 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I can't speak to the pricing. Have not done a spreadsheet study. There seems to be difference in HP and transmissions within the FRED family. Each manufacturer seems to have a little different setup. I know a diesel generator is included rather than gas so there is some $$$. And Winnebagos just seem to be a little more expensive. Not that they aren't worth it.

The other thing I meant to mention was the interiors on the DPs have gotten so fancy. Most have way more goofoo than I am comfortable with. Our MH is clean, but you may have to move some maps, magazines, books and probably a couple of cats, to get a place to sit. Don't get me wrong. Hit the TX Lottery and I will be placing my DP order the next day. Well, probably the Adventurer 35Z on FRED.