Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2018, 03:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

What are your 40U upgrades?

I just finished an upgrade for DW. We never watch TV in bed. While at the factory service center in Junction City, OR we decided to remove the TV to make work on the slide lock motor easier for the techs. (There method of getting to one screw was too scary.) When she saw how much room was there she asked me to build a cabinet for her to store some of her sewing stuff in. So, the story starts.

I removed the TV wall mount and power feed. I built a side wall of Luan panel, better grade, mounted on a frame I fabricated from pine. The styles and rails for the front are of maple. These are screwed together with pocket screws. I put a radius on the left side style to adapt to the radius of the existing base. I ordered the doors and drawer front from Horizon Cabinet Door Co.. They did a nice job. I was able to find a pattern that is close to what is in the coach. I found Winnebago style hinges on line and a drawer pull and door handles that look good, though not an exact match. I had the stain custom matched at Sherwin-Williams. It is close and looks good. Again, not exact. Because the doors are so tall I used the heavy duty drawer style catches, one on each, at the top. I don't want to have the content of the cabinet dump out while we travel. Might put a safety catch on the knobs.

I made a plain box drawer for the space where the satellite receiver would go. The rail is held in by some pocket screws and the face plate was tack nailed in each corner. It popped of with little fuss. Moving the rail down made a nice place to receive the drawer.

All measurements needed to be made with care for the custom doors to fit properly. In ordering I erred and ordered 2 doors of the full width. I was able to correct the order soon after I placed it. That would have been an expensive error. I did not have hinge mounting cut because the Winne hinges use a simple 5/16" groove. I didn't have the router bit. That was $20 and ended up in my stepsons router bag.

Here are some pictures of the build:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lower unit after.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	170097   Click image for larger version

Name:	side wall.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	170098  

Click image for larger version