Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-25-2020, 02:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

What a difference sway bars make

Put a Roadmaster 1139-146 Rear anti-sway bar and Roadmaster 1139-140 Front sway bar along with a Roadmaster RSSA Reflex steering stabilizer on our Intent 26M. The driving experience is totally different now. The motorhome does not feel jittery anymore and going around corners at speed is no longer a scary moment. Staying in our lane has totally improved and I no longer feel like a bus driver constantly sawing at the wheel.
We just went camping at Cheaha State Park in Alabama and the roads there were pretty twisty since this is the highest point in Alabama. I did not feel nervous at any point and the motorhome felt planted. If you are thinking about adding similar products to yours, I whole hardly say do it and do it now! You will be a much calmer camper, I know I am.

Also if you are in the Tallahassee, Florida area I highly recommend Southern RV repair. John is a great guy and did a wonderful job installing our products and fixed our rear camera issue (circuit board needed replacing) handling all the warranty paperwork for a very fair price.

Tom
tanda62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

That is something we are looking at for our Vista 29V. Same components, as it is the F-35, 18,000 lb Chassis. Looking online, eTrailer has the1139-146 for $1,500, and Amazon at about $800. Seems quite a difference, and wondering if the Amazon ones are counterfeit?

San Francisco Bay Area
sundog964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:59 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Got all the parts from Amazon and they are the genuine article. I saw the same prices and went for the Amazon parts because of price and the shipping was cheaper as well.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:04 PM   #4
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

I’ve been thinking...

About sway bars but I’ve read a lot of posters liking the sumo bags as the first suspension upgrade.

Sumo or sway bars first?
Old 09-30-2020, 10:38 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I also read a lot of those debates over sway bars vs sumo bags. For the size of my Intent I decided to go with the sway bars along with the steering stabilizer and believe it is the right choice for me. Now I am not fighting to keep in a lane and don't feel like the coach is going to tip over in a turn. A front end alignment is also important as mine was way out and needed to be corrected before any upgrades are done. The bars that come standard are not big enough and are weaker metal in my opinion - take it for what that is worth. Don't know if this helps you but it is my 2 cents.
Old 10-04-2020, 04:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Anti sway bars and etc: Larry West

I am the first owner of the newest 2" anti sway bar in the U.S.; Roadmaster and others are smaller and are not heat treated to the same degree as the newest super steer 2" anti-sway bar. Having had two other RVs with the roadmaster anti sway bars was a big improvement but the new 2" is an improvement over those. I also went with track bars and a front steering stabilizer. then the larger front anti sway bar from roadmaster as well. Then I went to 4quad FSD Koni shocks ( two shocks per axel or 4 in the back and 4 in the front). Because I don't have coil springs I also installed radius rods up front. Taken all together I now have a very safe Newmar Bay Star RV that rides like a Cadillac but goes around corners like a slot car. VERY safe. I may add Sumo springs in the rear only if at all. I think I have covered all my basis. But now the newest rage is liquid suspension...."IF" you want to spend $20,grand! Not me.
moonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 08:21 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

moonie--Sounds like some great improvements but also very expensive.
greedisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:21 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I got the Roadmaster 1139-140 front bar on Amazon for $495 and the 1139-146 from UltraRVproducts.com for $727 Both with free shipping
I had done the CHF move the links to the inner hole of the OEM bar which made a big difference and drove that way for 5000+ miles before replacing the front bar and adding the additional bar to the rear.
After installing the two Roadmaster bars We are now two weeks into a five week trip having driven from CA through NV ID WY and are now in MT

WOW The coach handles super. No sway when semis pass from the other direction on a 2 lane road or when passing or being passed. (Truck speed limits except CA range from 65 to 80 in these states) We drove areas with high Cross windS and big gusts with much less stress and issue
Edbehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:53 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Roadmaster 1139-140 and 146 installation

I (at 69 years young) replaced both bars on the ground myself
Did have DeWalt 20v impact and good 1/2” sockets and ratchet and of course a torque wrench AND a good crawler dolly.
No issues except some stubborn nuts & bolts that needed penetrating oil
Edbehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:08 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I put trac and sway bars on my 2003 Adventurer and I would agree, it makes a HUGE improvement on overall handleing.
JimStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:30 PM   #11
Geric

Has anybody installed sway bars on a Winnebago Vista 35f with a f53 chassis or have any experience with this?
Old 10-06-2020, 09:09 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7997redtail View Post
About sway bars but I’ve read a lot of posters liking the sumo bags as the first suspension upgrade.

Sumo or sway bars first?
I went with sway bars instead of Sumo Springs because the primary purpose of the sway bar is to stop excessive sway. Sumo Springs will also help fight sway but their primary purpose is as a helper spring. Go to a trailer towing forum and you will see that Sumo Springs are very popular on the rear of tow vehicles as an alternative to air bags.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 06:52 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by geric View Post
Has anybody installed sway bars on a Winnebago Vista 35f with a f53 chassis or have any experience with this?
I have a 35B which although slightly different in floorplan (bunks) is pretty much identical in terms of chassis, weight etc as your 35F. The previous owner has installed a front and rear roadmaster set and a super steer stabilizer. I can’t compare how this coach was before and after, but I can tell you a there was a huge difference from our prior coach (Itasca Sunova 35B). I had a good back to back test, it was a 900 mile trip to the dealer where I traded in for the Vista. The Sunova had a decent ride, but the Vista is much more solid and “planted” on the road. I noticed the difference as soon as I took the Vista out on its drive home. (Due to the distance involved I had it inspected for me, my first “eyeballs” on it in person was the day I picked it up, transferred my belongings to it, signed the final paperwork and turned around to drive 900 miles home)

Good luck!