Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2020, 09:27 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Water Pump Surging

I had to replace my water pump a few weeks back. I get good pressure, but it surges when it runs. Did I miss a step during installation that may be causing this?
Dlvgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:51 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Sounds like a bit of adjusting on the pressure switch but then that depends on WHICH pump. Not all RV pumps are the same.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:17 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Ours does the same thing, and has since new. If you turn on the sink in the bathroom, the pump will surge, or cycle. I believe this is by design, as the pump pressurizes the system, but needs to be capable of handling the shower or multiple faucets running at once.

Does the water surge when you open the faucets? Ours does not.
sundog964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 11:59 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

The surging is often considered "normal as we use different amounts of water for different times. But if it is considered a problem, there are certainly adjustments on some pumps to control the point at which they kick on/ off. I normally want the pump set to the flow we get on showers as it tends to make the water temperature more stable for that as the only time it bothers me.
Lots of online info for the adjustment, once you find which pump you have. Setting the adjustment is a bit of trial and retrial for me to find what works best in the shower.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 01:55 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog964 View Post
Ours does the same thing, and has since new. If you turn on the sink in the bathroom, the pump will surge, or cycle. I believe this is by design, as the pump pressurizes the system, but needs to be capable of handling the shower or multiple faucets running at once.

Does the water surge when you open the faucets? Ours does not.
It surges when toilet or bathroom sink is running. Doesn’t seem to when kitchen sink is running.
Dlvgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 01:54 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlvgolf View Post
I had to replace my water pump a few weeks back. I get good pressure, but it surges when it runs. Did I miss a step during installation that may be causing this?
I am guessing that your pump is supplying more water than you are calling for. I take it that the water flow is steady but the pump cycles up and down. As others have said. This is normal. If the flow is surging you may have air trapped in the line somewhere.
Rick Y
Old 09-21-2020, 04:08 AM   #7

Purge Your Hot Water Tank To Solve Your Surge And Hot Water Fluctuations

When my pump starts to surge I fix the problem by:

1) Turning off the pump.

2) Going to the hot water heater and then I lift the safety-pressure relief valve.

3) Then water spits out of the hot water tank and when it stops I close the pressure valve.

4) Turn the pump on and no more surging.

Note: When connected to a water hose at 40PSI, the other sign I need to purge the hot water tank is this: The hot water out of the shower head become more unstable, but again... just turn off the hose pressure; and open the hot water tank valve to purge the hot water tank and see if things get better.

The reason for this is that your hot water tank needs to maintain an "air gap" and after about 2-3 weeks this gap shrinks. So purging the tank and then re-pressurizing it is how I fix my surge and hot water fluctuation problems in the shower.

Of course, if this does not work then one of the other suggestions you have already read about work for you?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Heater Chamber Picture.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	175056  
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:28 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via MSN to e4services
add an accumulator tank if you can

I think they make small ones, "expansion" or "accumulator" tanks that is. They are a pressurized buffer after the water pump and will get rid of your issue, for the pump just keeps the tank full and the tank will provide even flow without 'surges'.
I see Shurflo makes a small one
e4services is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pump