Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-11-2021, 11:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Water on ceiling carpet

1999 Chieftain 35. Recently bought this rig and there’s been a leak in the past. Previous owner was not helpful. The carpet is stained in the bathroom near the skylight. Other strain location is over the closet when the slide is out and extends to overhead cabinet above the bed. Any idea where the leak was from? It appears is was somewhere in the middle and the water pooled on the sides. I’m also wondering if it’s worth pulling the carpeting to inspect. Wood seems to be solid. No soft spots. Any info would be helpful. Thanks!
Donavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 03:53 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donavan View Post
1999 Chieftain 35. Recently bought this rig and there’s been a leak in the past. Previous owner was not helpful. The carpet is stained in the bathroom near the skylight. Other strain location is over the closet when the slide is out and extends to overhead cabinet above the bed. Any idea where the leak was from? It appears is was somewhere in the middle and the water pooled on the sides. I’m also wondering if it’s worth pulling the carpeting to inspect. Wood seems to be solid. No soft spots. Any info would be helpful. Thanks!
Water damage is not only 'soft spots' due to wood destabilizing, ...but could be health wise. I'd FOR SURE, pick up, remove the carpet to check for Black Mold. Black Mold to reproduce, and create other colonies, creates spores that become airborne like dust...and will actually (like a cancer) infest the interior of your coach.

The spores and the mold colony, is highly toxic to human health, and can cause many conditions to the respiratory system, the skin, the eyes...any mucous membrane, like your sinuses, etc. So...the uptake, where there is water..where water could sit (in a carpet to form a moist environment) you can have Black Mold starting a colony at any time. The other thing about Black Mold, is in the absence of a required level of humidity or mere moisture, it can go 'dry/dormant' but only needs the proper level of humidity to 'wake' up and to start mold growth and incursion.

The cheapest way to KILL OFF the colony...is to get a paint brush, and non-diluted BLEACH, and then paint the colony...well dousing the mold (whether dry or not) with the bleach. That will permanently kill of the mold and spores that are there. Then, when the colony turns a 'milky white' due to the bleach bath, you can use a DRY towel, or cloths to remove the dead 'collective' and put it into the trash. Another good way to get rid of it, is to use TOILET PAPER, and then drop that into your toilet bowl and flush it down your sewer. Just some suggestions.
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 12:57 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thank you. Do you think an ozone generator might help as well? They’re advertising for mold so I’m guessing it’ll be less work if it works as advertised.
Donavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 04:46 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donavan View Post
Thank you. Do you think an ozone generator might help as well? They’re advertising for mold so I’m guessing it’ll be less work if it works as advertised.
No practical experience with it, but I do know, and can tell you that plain household bleach, not diluted, will kill mold spores literally on contact. Also, any treated wood that had bleach painted upon it, will have a residual killing effect that any mold, will not take hold upon that surface.

The only thing one must be careful of with bleach is (as I assume you already know quite well...) that it will lighten wood fiber, so should only be used where the wood or such, will not be seen, as under carpets, or molding.
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Stains like that in the ceiling often fade with repeated application of a mild bleach spray. Or at least lighten up a bit.

As far as all the leaks, it's likely the roof. Check out the roof and use Eternabond 4" tape to seal the front and rear seams, and then around all the roof holes. Once the roof is secured, then check around windows and seal those up good. I'd check the roof first so any work I did inside wouldn't be ruined with the next rain.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling, water