Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2009, 03:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Unhappy Water leak in slide lock Latitude

In our Latitude living area slide there is a slide lock in a plastic housing in the cupboard. If water gets on the slide top the excess is channeled through a boot to a weep hole outside. My boot had its small approximately. 1/8th inch line, kinked. I am not sure any will not be kinked a little. We have not been in much rain, but add a little wind and there is no way this tube can deflect all the water even if there is no kink. It is high up and above the window where the outlet is so you must use an extension ladder to check the hole for dirt. This looks to me like a factory defect. Really, anyone knows that if you put a hole in a flat roof you are asking for trouble. Has anyone else had this problem? If so what did they do to fix it?
JimO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Latitude

Wow we thought we would never see another Latitude with the Firemist paint!!!. We has a drain hose kinked above our bedroom window on ours. Very odd design and one of those "Things" to watch. Why do you have apic of your rig on a tow truck?

2008 Itasca Latitude 39w UFO 8.1
YngRvrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:02 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Cool Tow Truck

Well read my post in the workhorse forum and you will find my dilemma. I am in the middle of an exercise in patients. It would appear that everything could have been avoided by Workhorse, but they find it better for them to hush up about recurring problems than to take care of the customers/end users. How has your Workhorse been behaving?
Old 10-16-2009, 10:01 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

When mine started leaking into the coach (same slide, but on an Ellipse), I took it apart and was astounded that Winnebago would engineer a hole in the roof and not expect it to leak. I removed the lock assembly and put a patch on the roof. Talking to a factory tech, his opinion was that the 3000 lbs of pressure put on the slide by the HWH system would keep the slide in, and if it did move it would only be an inch or two. Sounds like the lock is more of a legal CYA than a necessity. If it ever moves, I'll buy a couple of 2X4s and cut them to fit as locks. BTW, if you remove the assembly, you have to jump the two motor wires so that the slides will operate.

Our blog
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:42 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

This is a timely topic for us. We've been in torrential rains the last week and have discovered water coming in from the two slide locks in our full wall slide. We wondered what the two "bolts" on the outside wall were, and now we know - they're weep holes! We'll check them for dirt. Do we check for kinks in that tiny line by removing the slide lock covers inside?

Thanks so much!
Old 10-19-2009, 07:35 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I've had the same issue on my Journey, double slide in the living room. Both sides have leaked in heavy, blowing rain storms. Did not know where the water was coming from until I read a tip about the drains from another RV forum.

I have found that if I periodically take a toothpick and ensure the holes are clear, I have no problems.

I have pointed the drains out to several other WB owners, who had no idea about the drains, but had water leaks from the locks. WB needs to put some information out about the drains in the owner's manuals.

Best Regards!

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:06 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith K View Post
When mine started leaking into the coach (same slide, but on an Ellipse), I took it apart and was astounded that Winnebago would engineer a hole in the roof and not expect it to leak. I removed the lock assembly and put a patch on the roof. Talking to a factory tech, his opinion was that the 3000 lbs of pressure put on the slide by the HWH system would keep the slide in, and if it did move it would only be an inch or two. Sounds like the lock is more of a legal CYA than a necessity. If it ever moves, I'll buy a couple of 2X4s and cut them to fit as locks. BTW, if you remove the assembly, you have to jump the two motor wires so that the slides will operate.

I too have the leak under certain conditions and will try to keep drains clear. As for removing the lock and covering the hole I think not. I usually did not use my slide locks but do so now because of a big scary situation that occurred. While traveling out West 3 weeks ago I had 40 to 60 mph winds hitting my passenger side for a couple of hours (the UFO chassis handled it great). The suction created on the drivers side sucked out the slide on that side 8 to 10 inches at the top (bottom stayed in). People were flashing lights at me. Got it to stop by opening my side window to break the suction and then pulling over to set slide locks and opened roof vent (protected in a max air cover). Of course I should not have been driving in those winds. But t could have happened due to body tilt on a hairpin curve also I guess.

Greg
Old 10-20-2009, 03:17 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris and Natasha View Post
This is a timely topic for us. We've been in torrential rains the last week and have discovered water coming in from the two slide locks in our full wall slide. We wondered what the two "bolts" on the outside wall were, and now we know - they're weep holes! We'll check them for dirt. Do we check for kinks in that tiny line by removing the slide lock covers inside?

Thanks so much!
I'd check to see if the hole is plugged from the outside first, that is the easiest thing to do. I have not taken the covers off the slide locks inside to look at the little hose, but I guess you can do it if you wish.

When I cleaned the weep holes, I was amazed at the water that came out, it drained for a while.

Best Regards!

Old 10-20-2009, 03:20 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbs2320 View Post
I too have the leak under certain conditions and will try to keep drains clear. As for removing the lock and covering the hole I think not. I usually did not use my slide locks but do so now because of a big scary situation that occurred. While traveling out West 3 weeks ago I had 40 to 60 mph winds hitting my passenger side for a couple of hours (the UFO chassis handled it great). The suction created on the drivers side sucked out the slide on that side 8 to 10 inches at the top (bottom stayed in). People were flashing lights at me. Got it to stop by opening my side window to break the suction and then pulling over to set slide locks and opened roof vent (protected in a max air cover). Of course I should not have been driving in those winds. But t could have happened due to body tilt on a hairpin curve also I guess.

Greg
Wow, that is amazing! I have one lock that works on and off, you never can tell if it's going to lock or not. I think now, after hearing your story, I'll dig into the lock and see what's going on.

You're lucky you didn't lose an awning in that wind!

Best Regards!

Old 10-21-2009, 05:31 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Have had the same slide lock leak situation in the driver's side slide on our '07 38T adventurer. The water actually finds its way thru the ceiling stuffing behind the liner and ends up dripping from the corner of the hanging cabinet.

First I've heard of the weep holes. Heading to the storage lot tomorrow...

I was thinking of the same solution of: remove the lock, jump the wires, and get a high grade vinyl patch for the outside to cover the hole. And buy some 2 x 6's...

Thanks for the info.
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:42 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Unhappy Slide leak at lock

I am taking my coach in tomorrow to have them inspect the boot again. I still believe its a defect in manufacturing. This really surprised me because I would think Winnebago would step up and get this fixed. It does not work in any moderate rain. The drain hole is too small and the tiniest of dirt will block it. I think that water comes out where the motor shaft goes through the boot. I really think too much water comes through the awning or the awning stops too close to the slide so too much water flows in for the drain to handle. If the hole was bigger bugs would nest.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:19 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Smile Update on slide leak.

The repair did not wok so I called Winnebago customer service. They contacted another dealer and sent me there. The other dealer said they tightened the awning and resealed the rubber motor shroud. I have not posted because we have only had it out in two mild rain scenarios. In both it did not leak. I am very mechanical and know the first rule with any flat roof is do not put any holes in them, because they will surely leak. I am not trusting this and will cross my finger when we are in a more moderate rain condition. I think one of the major problems was that the rain fills the awning and because the lock hole is in the middle of the slide out roof the awning from the weight settled right on the hole. Then when water would run off and lift the awning the remaining water on the roof would rush into the hole and overfill it. The toothpick size weep hole is no match for that. If it leaks again I am going to defeat the lock, rewire it to open and close and put a sealed plate over the hole. I think it will be easier to watch the slid out for creeping during movement and pull it back in rather than cope with this water issue. I sure hope it's fixed, as it has been very stressful.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:09 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

We just purchased our 'new' 2008 Vectra and identified the slide locks were an issue with the dealer. We noticed a musty order and I removed the black plastic covers and discovered evidence of moisture (corroded parts of the mechanism). Dealer stated that the 'leaks' had been taken care of -- don't think so! Now that I know where the source is, I'll be on it right away. We're going tom the factory in April for some other issues and I'll add this to my list.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:05 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Leak fixed.

I fixed my leak. The drain hose was kinked where it is attached to the plastic drain tube causing the water to rise in the lock chamber to the level at which the actuator arm enters the lock chamber causing a leak past that arm and into the plastic cover in the cabinet. Then the water trickled down the wall into the coach. I needed a mirror and flash light to see it. I unhooked the slide top cover awning to get to the lock and removed the lock, drain tube, and the rubber housing (which you see after removing the plastic shroud inside the interior cabinet). The tube cast into the rubber housing was too long causing the tube to kink in half when pushed on to the plastic drain tube that goes outside. I trimmed 1/4 inch from the tube and reassembled everything and resealed all the parts that connect to slide lock opening and tested by pouring alot of water directly into the lock --no leaks. It has been 2 months and many windy rain storms since my fix and not a drop has come in. You probably do not need to do all the work I did, although being able to clean out the lock chamber of debris from above was a good thing but a long vacuum hose might do the same thing. The quick fix would be to remove the plastic drain from the outside thereby leaving the interior rubber hose that is cast into the rubber cover available for a trimming if necessary and then reinsert the plastic tube from the outside and into the interior rubber hose making sure of no kinks. Very tight working conditions but probably doable with a mirror and flashlight etc. Cheers. Greg
Old 03-23-2010, 08:12 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I've identified the weep holes and where the slide-lock hole is Please tell me what this hole is for? I assume the slide-lock mechanism raises up and locks into the coach body? I've got extensive water damage that is (IMO) beyond what a 'dealer' could repair -- called the factory and they will be looking at both of these locks. Thanks again for some very helpful information.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:27 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago leak slide lock

Yes it can be a kinked hose, but in most cases when their is major leaking as in mine, their is no way that hose, not kinked or dirty can carry the water out of that area fast enough. I helped another Winnebago owner that had a kink, by slowly applying a tye wrap around the hose and that removed the kink and helped support the hose from ever kinking again. You must use a pretty thin tye wrap so it will go down in size to about 1/4". The weep hole should be checked often, although it is so small that their are not many bugs that will fill it. That means the dirt is coming from above, probably blown under the awning. Once water is present it moves the dirt to the boot and eventually in the weep hole. I have been told by Winnebago that the awning is not water proof and is there to shed most water/dirt/leaves and debris. To clean the boot you must remove the awning which is not end user friendly to do. The water actually comes through where the motor shaft that turns the lock, goes through the boot. Their needs to be several inches of water to get to this shaft. I think the engineering of this lock is poor and hopefully they have stopped it. A better way to lock might be from above the slide into a dimple on the slide roof that has no entry to the slide or a better slide mechanism that won't allow any movement. I know their is not much room there, so maybe from the sides. I am not an engineer, so I assume they have a good reason for their placement.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:35 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefJohn View Post
I've identified the weep holes and where the slide-lock hole is Please tell me what this hole is for? I assume the slide-lock mechanism raises up and locks into the coach body? I've got extensive water damage that is (IMO) beyond what a 'dealer' could repair -- called the factory and they will be looking at both of these locks. Thanks again for some very helpful information.

Yes the slide lock raises up out of the big hole in the top of the slide and locks against the inside of the coach body when slide is fully pulled back into the coach. Slide locks built into the side of the slide would be better since water would not likely collect. I have seen this approach on some non winnebago/itaska coaches. However I know many with our locks that have no problems. I suspect much of the problem is poor installation - kinked hoses etc. Of course we have to keep the weep holes cleaned out (a straightened paper clip works and vacuum out the lock hole on the slide top on occasion to remove leaves etc.(tape vacuum hose to pole with end of hose taped as a 90degree bend to the pole so you can direct it into the hole from closest end of the slide - do it with the lock down and then up) ) Greg
Old 03-24-2010, 07:22 PM   #18
rca
Winnebago Camper

question...

To those that have removed the slide awning to work down from above....is is possible for water that has pooled on top of the slide to leak down along the outer (slide wall side) edge of the rubber housing into the cabinet interior? I removed the black poly plastic cover inside the cabinet during rain storm and with the aid of a mirror, was able to watch the water run down the rubber housing in that 3/8" space between the rubber and the cabinet outside wall.
I checked the drain holes during the time the water was leaking inside and they were clear (and no water drained out).
I cleaned up the water pooled on the top of the slide and the leak stopped.....your thoughts?
Old 03-25-2010, 06:38 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca View Post
To those that have removed the slide awning to work down from above....is is possible for water that has pooled on top of the slide to leak down along the outer (slide wall side) edge of the rubber housing into the cabinet interior? I removed the black poly plastic cover inside the cabinet during rain storm and with the aid of a mirror, was able to watch the water run down the rubber housing in that 3/8" space between the rubber and the cabinet outside wall.
I checked the drain holes during the time the water was leaking inside and they were clear (and no water drained out).
I cleaned up the water pooled on the top of the slide and the leak stopped.....your thoughts?
My thoughts? Damn poor design to start with !! IMO, this is not only possible, but more common than what owner's of these MHs are aware. My limited investigation of the roadside slideout lock in the cabinet above the dinette leads me to believe that water is getting between the interior roof material and frame. My padded ceiling is puckered inside/outside the overhead cabinet area and it appears water has entered above the frame of the slideout lock mechanism.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:10 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca View Post
Yes. If not sealed properly that would happen. Mine leaked past the motor shaft due to a kinked drain hose but I disassembled everything involved from topside and from inside the cabinet. Mine was well sealed on top but only around the edges. When I disassembled it there was no sealant on the mating surfaces so if your seal on the outer edges goes bad you have a leak. I reassembled it with sealant on mating surfaces and around the edges of the lock housing on top of the slide. Greg

Tags
latitude, slide, water leak