Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2008, 05:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

We have an 06 Journey and for the longest time I have been trying to figure out the water heater situation. We have 2 switches, one is a red switch (very top of panel, next to engine heater switch) and it says something about electric heat. The other switch, a little lower, is a black switch with a light under it that says PILOT OUT. I figure that one is for the LP.

So, just working with the red switch on top, with my LP off (as we dont need it very often here in Florida). No matter what position I have this red switch in, I get hot water. I made sure LP was off and bottom switch was off, and tried red switch in either position, and got very hot water.

So, how do I turn the hot water heater off? What is the correct position if my switch were to work correctly? My concern is when I am home, I keep the RV plugged into my 50amp, so I have began switching the water heater throw switch in the electric panel under the bed to ensure the heater isnt trying to heat with no water.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I do have a problem, knowing which way the red switch is supposed to be would be helpful in getting this fixed.

James
flashajt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 05:36 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We have an 06 Journey and for the longest time I have been trying to figure out the water heater situation. We have 2 switches, one is a red switch (very top of panel, next to engine heater switch) and it says something about electric heat. The other switch, a little lower, is a black switch with a light under it that says PILOT OUT. I figure that one is for the LP.

So, just working with the red switch on top, with my LP off (as we dont need it very often here in Florida). No matter what position I have this red switch in, I get hot water. I made sure LP was off and bottom switch was off, and tried red switch in either position, and got very hot water.

So, how do I turn the hot water heater off? What is the correct position if my switch were to work correctly? My concern is when I am home, I keep the RV plugged into my 50amp, so I have began switching the water heater throw switch in the electric panel under the bed to ensure the heater isnt trying to heat with no water.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I do have a problem, knowing which way the red switch is supposed to be would be helpful in getting this fixed.

James
Old 12-24-2008, 06:42 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

My guess is that the controller has failed. Last winter my WH would not light on gas unless the electic switch was also on. Replaced with a Dinosaur Electronics UIB S control board. Was cheaper and longer warranty than OEM board.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 07:24 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

James
When the elect. is on I register about 15-16 ??amp/ on the systems center amp. readout.
Turn your switches on and off and if you continously get a higher amp. readout, then something has failede. A bad switch maybe.
a failed board.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 09:11 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

James,
Just another thought for you. The red Elect. WH switch has a 12vdc lamp and only completes a 12 vdc circuit to the WH as a request for 120 v heated water. Turning off the circuit breaker may be the only way to disable the WH electric element until you find the problem.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:20 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Since we have the same coach, here is what I know. That red switch should light up when in the on position. Actually, that switch when on gets very hot so there should be no mistake as to when it is on and off. Like the other posters said, look at your amp meter and you should see a noticable increase when turned on. One other thought I will add; you mentioned you have hot water all the time. Are you checking the hot water after several hours when you return from a trip? If so, I assume your coach is like mine and the when the engine is running it heats the water in the tank even when the switch is off. I found this out the hard way when I first purchased the coach. Just a thought.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 11:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all of the replies. I learned one thing for sure - the red switch is having problems, so we will look into replacing that. It does not light up....ever.

With regards to amps. With the switch down (appearing off) I am runing 4 amps. Flipping it up (no red light) I get 15 amps. So I think I just answered my own question. Perhaps just the little red light in my switch is broken which I can live with. Then FunTime - I think you solved the mystery. I am guessing most of the times it was right after a trip so you hit the nail on the head.

Thanks guys!!!
Old 12-25-2008, 03:34 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

James, glad to hear you got it resolved. You are better off with that light burned out as it gets so hot on my coach it is down right scary.
As I said in the post, I learned the hard way about the hot water heating up when I arrived at a destination and open my relief valve for something unrelated and out came hot water. OUCH! Take care
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 04:12 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by flashajt:
the red switch is having problems, so we will look into replacing that. It does not light up....ever.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>My light also burned out but I got a replacement part at The Winnebago GNR. Easy replacement job. Check with our sponsor, Lichtsinn Motors for the part - they'll have it out to you, pronto!
Old 12-26-2008, 02:06 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Just a reminder to all.
Do not immediately turn on your elect. side of the water heater after driving for a distance, as the water is very hot from the motoraid heating.
If you turn on the electric too soon it may trip the overheat switch.
I had this happen. The onsite repair guy gave me a heads up on this. He crawled under my rig, pushed in a very much concealed and hard to get to switch and all was well again.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote