Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2021, 06:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Watching Satellite on OUtside TV

We just got a new to us 2011 Winnebago Vista 35F coming from a 2004 35' Sightseer and went to hook up the TV with the component cables into the outside entertainment box(not the built in) and I am getting no picture out of them, anyone know if we are supposed to? If not anyone know if you can get satellite from the box over the driver to outside? I already figured out that it won't to the back TV. Can't believe they had it so easy in the 04 to watch any TV in any mode and then made it harder then heck in the newer one.
RVRKID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 06:56 PM   #2
Site Team

I'm not sure I follow exactly what "box" you mean etc. But generally to watch SAT TV on your Outside TV you'd need to connect via Coax from your SAT receiver output to your switcher "box." If, in fact, that is the box you are speaking of.

What does your Operator's Manual say about connecting to the Outside TV with Cable or Satellite?
Old 07-14-2021, 07:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Sorry I don’t have any good pics but in the outside bin just behind the door there is hook up for power, coax and component but nothing comes out of component that I have found. There is no switch box in this coach just component cable which works on main cabin TV.
Old 07-15-2021, 06:46 AM   #4
Veteran RV Owner

The "box" you are referring to MIGHT be an HDMI receiver which would require a transmitter box on the other side next to the satellite receiver.
armullis59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 10:23 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I'll have to wait until I get it out next time but I didn't see any HDMI cable up in the compartment above the driver.
Old 07-15-2021, 10:40 AM   #6
Site Team

It turns out, this is an easy answer. Your outside TV is NOT setup for SAT viewing. Just the following:

Quote:
The exterior entertainment center contains a
TV, stereo radio/CD/DVD player, and audio/
video hook-ups for your outdoor listening or
viewing pleasure.
As I suggested earlier, this info is in your Operator's Manual in the Entertainment Section 8-7.

But I'm sure you could find a way to temporarily string a Coax out to the TV. Because it's a 2011 the TV may not have an HDMI and your SAT Receiver may not have a Coax output. But that is solvable with all manner of adapters.

Here's the relevant info from your Operator's Manual Section 8-7. You'll see there is no mention of Satellite or even Cable:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 11.35.56 AM.png
Views:	50
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	180208  
Old 07-15-2021, 10:42 AM   #7
Site Team

Here's a link to download a PDF copy of the 2011 Vista Operator's Manual.

https://www.winnebago.com/Admin/Publ...11/11Vista.pdf
Old 07-15-2021, 11:29 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for your reply but our model doesn't have the TV and Stereo outside you have to set up a seperate TV, only a box in the bay to plug a TV in to. I have read the manual, I actually had TV thru the coax outside from the park and the antenna.
Old 07-15-2021, 11:32 AM   #9
Site Team

Help me understand. There is no built in "outside TV." Just a box to connect a TV, so you bring a TV with you and then connect it via that connection box in a lower compartment?

Another question, does your SAT receiver have a Coax output? If so have you tried connecting that output to the Cable TV input on the RV to see if the SAT content will display - using the SAT as a cable tv source.

I know not all SAT receivers have a Coax output. Many have just a HDMI output and or a Component output. But they make both HDMI to Coax and Component to Coax converters.
Old 07-15-2021, 12:27 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Correct a box in the compartment and you set up a TV,

I have to look at it again when I get it out for the next trip. I believe all the coax cables come up to the passenger side where the antenna plate is that turns on the roof antenna. I'm thinking I may have to see about a "transfer" box of some sort on that side to get it working outside and maybe even in the back. That is what my old one had and it was very convenient.

I tried real quick once I got the Satellite working then put it away.
Old 07-15-2021, 12:41 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I'm not sure this will help the OP but here's my solution for my 2015 Vista:

There is a component cable installed by Winnebago from the cabinet above the front driver seat to the outside TV location. I connect it to my Dish Hopper 3 DVR's component output jacks, and to the TV component input jacks. Works great. The Hopper 3 will output both HDMI and component at the same time. Winnebago ran a HDMI cable from the cabinet to the main living room TV Of course all TVs are getting the same picture and sound. The Hopper 3 remote control uses radio signal so the remote works fine outside or in the rear bedroom.

I found a 1 input to 2 output component video splitter on Amazon with built in signal amplifier. I inserted that and feed both the rear bedroom TV and ther outside TV and can view the Hopper on either TVs now. I just use 1 to 2 "Y" passive splitters to double feed the left and right audio cables, as the video splitter just splits the R G B cables and not the R L audio cables.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 11:23 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
I'm not sure this will help the OP but here's my solution for my 2015 Vista:

There is a component cable installed by Winnebago from the cabinet above the front driver seat to the outside TV location. I connect it to my Dish Hopper 3 DVR's component output jacks, and to the TV component input jacks. Works great. The Hopper 3 will output both HDMI and component at the same time. Winnebago ran a HDMI cable from the cabinet to the main living room TV Of course all TVs are getting the same picture and sound. The Hopper 3 remote control uses radio signal so the remote works fine outside or in the rear bedroom.

I found a 1 input to 2 output component video splitter on Amazon with built in signal amplifier. I inserted that and feed both the rear bedroom TV and ther outside TV and can view the Hopper on either TVs now. I just use 1 to 2 "Y" passive splitters to double feed the left and right audio cables, as the video splitter just splits the R G B cables and not the R L audio cables.
Thank you I'm going to get up there and look behind and see if there is another set of cables and if so get the splitter, I sure hope so.

Tags
satellite