Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2013, 06:33 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Washer pump filter access 2012 Ellipse

Washing machine not spinning the water out of clothes and assume the filter to the pump needs cleaning. I am trying to figure out how to access the filter in the cabinet. The cabinet in the 42QD has a solid piece of paneling across the lower portion of the washer. Was able to remove the front cover on the washer but their is not enough room to place your hand on the filter to turn it. Anyone figured this out or have ideas on how to access the pump filter on a washing machine in a 2012 Ellipse 42QD?
Davismw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:18 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davismw View Post
Washing machine not spinning the water out of clothes and assume the filter to the pump needs cleaning. I am trying to figure out how to access the filter in the cabinet. The cabinet in the 42QD has a solid piece of paneling across the lower portion of the washer. Was able to remove the front cover on the washer but their is not enough room to place your hand on the filter to turn it. Anyone figured this out or have ideas on how to access the pump filter on a washing machine in a 2012 Ellipse 42QD?
If you check your manuals it will tell you how to do this. I have done the one in our house a couple of times to remove baby socks....those little things find there way through the seal.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the reply, but I have read the manual and know how to remove and clean the filter. The problem is the wood cabinetry. Does not appear Winnebago left enough room in the cabinet to access the filter. I am hoping someone has experienced this problem before and figured out how best to get something inside without dismantling the cabinets.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davismw View Post
Thanks for the reply, but I have read the manual and know how to remove and clean the filter. The problem is the wood cabinetry. Does not appear Winnebago left enough room in the cabinet to access the filter. I am hoping someone has experienced this problem before and figured out how best to get something inside without dismantling the cabinets.
Good point Ours is all "buttoned up" until next weekend when we take off. I'm going to check and see if they made any adjustments in the 2013 model for easier access. Hopefull you don't have to go around your hand to get to your thumb to do this maintenance.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I get to the back of my washer by taking the drawers out of the chest of drawers on the back wall. A real pain!!!

Is yours a Splendide combo? If it is the filter is on the bottom right front of the unit behind the kick plate.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Have Splendide stacked units so the washer is not combo. When you remove the cover you can see the filter on the front right corner of the washer. Just can not get my hand between the washer and cabinet panel to unscrew the filter. I thought about lifting the washer up but the shelving where the dryer is located over the washer is so tight there is not enough room to make any difference. Besides, it appears the washer is mounted to the floor. Hard to believe Winnebago would enclose the washer so close that normal maintenance such as cleaning this filter could be done. I wonder if there is a tool that could be used to reach the filter through the narrow opening?
Old 02-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Davismw,
I understand your problem. I have heard of dealers taking off the front wood panel in order to work on the washer. I think it is fastened with staples. It will not be easy to remove but I don't know any other way to access the filter. I doubt if there would be enough room to remove the filter. Maybe you could call Winnebago Customer Service and ask for some ideas. Even if you get the filter loose, I doubt if you will have enough room to pull it out. I know the newer installations "stack" the two units directly on top of each other without the frame or brace between them but that will not help you now. I guess you have to remove the doors and pull off the wood frame and will have to re-install and "putty" the holes after your re-fasten it. Let us know how you make out as many of us will be facing the same problem.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:09 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Just looked at mine...no idea how to access the filter...please let us know what you learn..thanks
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Our unit is currently in the shop for some warranty work and have asked about this. If it is necessary to remove cabinet front, will talk to them about cutting the front panel below the washer doors and installing piano hinge so this piece can hinge down to work on or remove washer in future. You could install a latch on the inside to hold the panel in place. This would not be a big deal if it has been done properly at the factory. Will let you know if I figure out a way to clean the filter as is.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:41 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

We had the same problem with our 2011 Ellipse 42QD. To date we have had to have the entire cabinet front removed at least three times. Once to access the washer to replace a circuit board and twice for the dryer to replace the motor & thermostat. When I questioned my dealer about access to the washer filter they simply threw up their arms in a "I don't have a clue" style. I finally talked them into cutting out the lower wood face panel and installing clips on the back side. I can now easily access the filter for regular maintenance. If you are still in your warranty period I would push Winnebago to take care of this for you under warranty. It is ridiculous to think the only access otherwise is via removal of the entire cabinet facing. Oh, I almost forgot......the chair rail, shoe molding and corner trim will also have to be removed to get the entire face off.
jmiller513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:45 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

You have not washed any baby socks in there recently have you. Had that problem a few times when the kids were small. The socks would get into the pump and stop the impeller. Had to take off the discharge hose and extract the socks with a pair of needlenose pliers.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:17 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

The front panel on our stack units is installed using screws. First remove all the doors to gain access to the inside of the frame. There are at least a dozen screws that must be removed from each side as well as the bottom and center braces. Remove the aquahot blower and shoe molding. Next remove the chair rail on the toilet wall to allow the cabinet face to slide out and away.

Mine has been removed so many times I made them drill new screw holes the last time for fear that we had worn out the old ones. Having the access panel installed has resolved the problem with access to the filter but anytime the washer or dryer needs to be serviced the entire front panel will have to be removed. Oh, and by the way, Splendide does not cover the cost of removing the washer or dryer from the cabinet as part of the warranty. The labor for that is out of your pocket!
jmiller513 is offline   Reply With Quote