Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2022, 06:59 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Wandering in Side Winds

I have a 2005 30ft class A, with a GM chassis. It only has maybe 43,000 miles on it. It's really like new mechanically. I haven't driven it much, but if there's much sidewind, it weathervanes and works me to death, leaving me really exhausted after driving for a few hours. I know there are various add-ons to increase stability, but I also wonder if tweaking toe-in, or something like that, could help. I know it's a big box in the wind, but the road is full of 70 year old's driving these things, and if it was this stressful, I don't think they would be. Using one hand, and keeping my eyes more on the horizon help somewhat damping my own oversteering; and it isn't that bad to drive without the sidewind. Your thoughts?
Rick 99037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 02:16 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick 99037 View Post
I have a 2005 30ft class A, with a GM chassis. It only has maybe 43,000 miles on it. It's really like new mechanically. I haven't driven it much, but if there's much sidewind, it weathervanes and works me to death, leaving me really exhausted after driving for a few hours. I know there are various add-ons to increase stability, but I also wonder if tweaking toe-in, or something like that, could help. I know it's a big box in the wind, but the road is full of 70 year old's driving these things, and if it was this stressful, I don't think they would be. Using one hand, and keeping my eyes more on the horizon help somewhat damping my own oversteering; and it isn't that bad to drive without the sidewind. Your thoughts?
This message is for Rick 99037.
I have 2005 Adventurer on the Workhorse chassis that I purchased in 2019. It handled so poorly, that after a long trip I was ready to get rid of it. I have owned a combination of trailers and motorhomes since 1980 and this one was almost impossible to keep on the road.

I went to Henderson's Line-Up in Grants Pass, OR. They do a driving assessment and then make recommendations. They came up with about $7K worth of recommendations, more than I wanted to spend. We settled on Koni Shocks all around and front and rear trac bars. I already had a Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer that came with the Motorhome.

I spent about $3K and got to take a trip to Oregon
The improvement is incredible. I can keep the MH in my own lane, even on a crowned road and I don't get blown off the road by Big Trucks.
This is a real post from a real person, not solicited by Henderson's. Trust me, there is hope for your coach.
Gary92345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 02:56 PM   #3
Site Team

Rick, you made your original post a month ago, but you buried it in someone else's thread about tire vibration.

I've seen that someone finally responded to it today, so I moved both posts out of that other thread and into it's very own thread.

As an FYI, when asking a new question it is always best to start a new thread rather than try to piggy back your question onto someone else's thread.

Hope this helps you (and others).