Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2016, 07:24 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Vista short wheelbase handling problem

We are interested in a Vista 26he with F53 chassis, 158" wheelbase. But it handles poorly and wanders at highway speed. Has anyone resolved this issue with trac bar, sway bars or other "fixes" I have read about?
Even though it does not change the wheelbase, are there modifications which can be made which help steering and handling? Thanks!
captainbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:37 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

The first thing you can do is free.

Look up the CHF on here and do it. Don't worry about extending arms or links or try to make plates.

Do it and take it for a ride. If it handles well, you don't need any add on things.

From there, it's up to you whether you want to improve tire failure protection or try to smooth out the bumps with high end shocks.

That my frugal opinion.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:46 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

To me my Vista 26HE is like during my 78 VW bus. The difference is the size. I think it just feels more like it wanders because you are sitting up higher. My Trail-lite did the same as my Vista. I just got use to the way that it handles.
rottenkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:57 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

You are going to read a lot online about the dangerous, terrible handling of these rigs. I won't disrespect anyone with this view, but we've had ours for 8K miles now, and we feel it handles pretty well. I don't know if we are just used to it, but the suspension is settling in, or both, but we feel very comfortable. I will probably do the CHF because it is cheap, but really these are good rigs. The short wheelbase allows tight turns, too. Yes, windy days are character builders, but every motorhome has that issue. And, make sure you have both hands on the wheel when a truck passes. Honestly, the longer we have this, the more we like it. It is short enough to park in two parking spaces end-to-end, and has oodles of storage. And it is the least expensive class A you can get with all these features.

Beware the 2016 with the 6 speed trans...there have been problems with the trans.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:43 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

First check the tire pressure. I have a 27N that handled ok, not great, just ok. I had dually valves installed for a tire pressure minder system. The tire shop increased the tire pressure to 95 lbs front, 100 rear. I could barely keep it on the road; wandered and followed every rut and bump. I adjusted the pressure down to 85 lbs (82 on the placard plus a little.) The handling went back to ok.

I tried the CHF but it didn't make that much of an improvement. I added a rear track bar, replaced the front sway bar with a heavy duty one, added a heavy duty auxiliary rear sway bar, and added a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer. I also replaced the factory shocks. It handles really well now; worth every dollar.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:56 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

We have a 2014 vista 26he we hated it for 6 months my husband was ready to leave on the side of the road, due to wondering we are first time rvers. We purchased a saftey plus steering stabilzer the red one, they wanted to sell us the tan one but the installer told us the red would be better and glad we did. My husband who does the driving can drive with one hand know if he has to and drive for hours. It is the best investment we have made in a long time well worth the money. We have told two other people and theY feel the same way. This brand is excellent. The tractor trailers go by now and he harder feels it, we'll worth it. We paid about $750.00 for parts and instalation. No more white knuckle driving.
aznancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:58 PM   #7
Site Team

I have a 26HE and it handles great, even in the wind and doesn't wonder at highway speed. Here's one free and one low cost suggestion for you. Check your tire pressure, setting to 82psi, as stated on the sticker just below the driver window. This really improved things for me. You may also need an alignment.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:55 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Read here about alignment under $200 and the air pressure. Then IF there is still a problem the CHF and track bars or several others like shocks and worn bushings.

LEN
Old 07-29-2016, 06:41 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Own a 2016 Vista LX 27N. Bought it in Portland, Oregon and just drove it 1,700 miles to Winnebago in Forest City. Worst time I ever had trying to keep it on the road. Between the wind blowing us everywhere and holding on for every truck that passed us we couldn't wait to get it in for warranty work. We arrived 8 days before the WIT Rally with the max 7 repair items and no appointment. They took it in after 3 days with handling #1 and front window wind noise #2. After taking it in on 4 separate mornings the techs fixed everything perfectly. They found the coach was 1,400# heavier on the right rear than the left and in need of alignment. Before 55mph was a risk, now 70 with a hand barely on the wheel is easy. Trucks and wind are barely noticeable. They had to add shims to the right rear to get the coach to sit level. Love to drive it now. Thought I made a huge mistake getting the Ford Chassis. Also I love the 6 speed transmission and have zero issues so far.
Honwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:04 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for your replies and for putting us on the right track!
captainbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:17 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Get an alignment done first. The F53 doesn't get any consistent alignment work done on it that's any good. I've had 3 and none were good.
Some owners may be lucky enough to get a good one, but not many. I would advise you to get the caster set to 3* and the total toe set at 1/32" or less, but not less than 0*. That's how I run mine and have no need for all the add-ons that many buy to get it to handle better.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:10 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Also keep the weight out of the lockers behind the back wheels. Every pound added behind the back wheels lightens the load on the front wheels, which does not help the problem, especially when you have a big overhang behind the rear wheels. I put the heavy stuff in the front lockers and try to keep the weight down as I move further back.

Pete
Peter27C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:59 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Vista 26he bad handling

My 2013 Vista handled very poorly at road speeds. I removed the factory sway bar and installed a heavy duty sway bar from Roadmaster. I also installed a reflex steering stabilizer from Roadmaster. I installed these items by myself, on the ground. Easy installs. After a test drive I was amazed at the difference in handling. The white knuckle effect was gone. As others have suggested the tire pressures are important as well as weight distribution.
JSJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 03:00 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honwing View Post
Own a 2016 Vista LX 27N. Bought it in Portland, Oregon and just drove it 1,700 miles to Winnebago in Forest City. Worst time I ever had trying to keep it on the road. Between the wind blowing us everywhere and holding on for every truck that passed us we couldn't wait to get it in for warranty work. We arrived 8 days before the WIT Rally with the max 7 repair items and no appointment. They took it in after 3 days with handling #1 and front window wind noise #2. After taking it in on 4 separate mornings the techs fixed everything perfectly. They found the coach was 1,400# heavier on the right rear than the left and in need of alignment. Before 55mph was a risk, now 70 with a hand barely on the wheel is easy. Trucks and wind are barely noticeable. They had to add shims to the right rear to get the coach to sit level. Love to drive it now. Thought I made a huge mistake getting the Ford Chassis. Also I love the 6 speed transmission and have zero issues so far.
I have a 2016 Sunstar LX 27N; same motor home. I am curious whether the weight difference was due to stuff you loaded not the motor home or whether the basic unit has this issue. Mine also seems quite sensitive to wind as well as uneven road surfaces (when I got my right wheels on an uneven shoulder on the highway the coach violently shook trying to correct it). Without a lot of wind it handles fine even at 70 mph although steering seems fuzzy at higher speeds. Dealer said this was normal.
Wimb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:52 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Now in Carrabelle, Florida. Arrived in time to experience our first And hopefully last Hurricane. Our house is 85' from the gulf on stilts. Had to move Motorhome to higher ground when water surged 2' deep under the house. Scary at midnight and power out. Our 27N now has 6,660 miles and has performed very well since the factory in Forest City, Iowa. Bucket list items that we completed we're Mackinaw Island, Niagara Falls, and Bristol, Tennessee for the NASCAR Race.
So far I have spent zero dollars on handling improvements. I feel the factory solved my problems when they did the alignment. Easy to drive now. I had the coach weighed while at the WIT Rally and found the right rear was 1,400# heavier than the left rear. Even though I have two slides on the left side I am told the full slide and bulk of the storage on the right we're the cause for the right side lean. Shims at the factory took care of that. I am always trying to lighten the load on the right side by putting the heavy items on the left. Not always easy. Current problem is where to move the Dish satellite box after the heat in the overhead cabinet fried the last one
Honwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:44 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

Wow. Sounds like you had some "fun". I am on the east side of Florida near cape Canaveral, so no bad weather for us. Thanks for your insights. I will try and get mine weighted one of these days.
Wimb is offline   Reply With Quote