Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2017, 01:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Vista LX 30T

We have narrowed it down between the Thor Ace 30.3 and Winnebago Vista LX 30T. This will be our first RV/Motorhome and want to make sure we are making the right decision. I love the floor plan, have not driven it yet.

We are about 5 years off from early retirement and the goal will be to use it mostly in the winter time frame to get away from the cold weather. For now it will be used during the summer for some 1-2 week trips and weekends.

What are your thoughts/experiences with Winnebago and this model if you have it, and what can we expect purchasing new. There is a 20k difference in price, and not sure it can be justified.
ohau8622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:27 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Winnebago has priced the Vista line to price compete with the Thor Ace line. I suggest you view some Vistas and compare them to the Vista LX. Personally I am not sure there is a $ 20 K difference between a Vista and a Vista LX , if that is what it is now.

I would do a quick search of Winnebago Vista LX on Campingworld.com and make sure you are factoring in the huge dealer profit margin on Winnebago Vista LX, leading to huge discounts to informed buyers. Camping World has certain Vista LX discounted over 30 percent vs. the Winnebago MSRP !
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:59 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

I've checked and I can't find what I want, it must be ordered. Also, serving is an issue I have 2 dealers and both told me they would not service if I buy elsewhere.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:58 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Consider that you can get one with more options for less money if you buy an in-stock unit. I started out planning to order one, too, until I realized that I could not find a Winnebago dealer that would discount a special order same as they discount units they have already sitting on their lots.

Personally I saved over $ 10,000 on my Vista LX by shopping nationwide vs. accepting the local Winnebago dealer prices. Also got over $ 5,000 more for my trade-in by shopping nationwide. For me that's REAL money that justified not supporting my local Winnebago dealers. It was THEIR choice not to match prices with other dealers.

Note that Winnebago does no work on the Ford F53 chassis and all its components: engine, tires, transmission, suspension, etc. So where you buy is a non-issue for this.

Note that I don't believe a Winnebago Factory Authorized Service Department can refuse to do warranty service based on where you buy. I would check with the Service Manager and not just take a salesperson's word for it. Most service departments will want the Winnebago warranty work money - it's a separate cost/profit center from sales.

That said - during a busy time, they may choose not to do first come first served and to prioritize customers that purchased from their dealership over others for non-emergency situations. More often than not, dealer warranty service involves them getting Winnebago approval for the warranty repair action and for warranty parts and then the dealer is wait mode a few days for the parts, so its not in and out in a day or two anyway.

What I did was do an complete pre delivery inspection and not pay until everything was verified to work. This included a short test drive. Then I camped for a week near the dealer I purchased from just in case I missed something during the PDI.

That said - don't expect much for minor items such as "this wood has a little scuff", this thing squeaks, etc. from a dealer you did not buy from. The selling dealer is compensated to fix all that minor stuff - that's why you need to do a very good PDI and get the minor stuff fixed up front - if you don't buy local. Or, accept you can fix the minor stuff yourself for time and little money and enjoy the money you saved.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:11 PM   #5
JBP
Winnie-Wise

Go online and see how Winnebago wall structure is built. I believe you'll find that is one of the best in the industry. And I believe to be the safest in the industry. This is not something that you can readily see with the eye. And it's hard to convince a wife to pay extra for this. But I would seriously consider these even if it's a little bit more then the ace the word product.
Also Winnebago and other manufacturers have been getting the same reports back from clients that dealership is not servicing the coach if you didn't buy it there. They have started a program where if that's the case you can get a license to RV mechanic to come in and Winnebago authorized to work. I've had that done a couple of times down here because my dealer that's local will not service warranty work on my Winnebago. But it said before the chassis is all Ford and in most cases the dealership sends it over to a Ford dealership to do that warranty work if it's more than just changing filters oil and that kind of items.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:37 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I have an almost new 2015 Winnebago Vista 27N which is almost identical to the 2017 Winnebago Vista LX 27N and you will see that this floorplan is only available in the Vista LX line. I was a RV salesperson for several years at a major dealership and I don't think there is any comparison in the quality between the Winnebago and the ACE. I have owned many RVs over the years and think Winnebago is one of the best. As JBP said look at the construction and when looking at the physical units look at the woodwork, counter tops, wall paper. The 30T has a full size queen bed, the ACE doesn't. Don't think those five inches matter, you will. Tell DW that standard queen sheets fit the 30T and not the ACE and see what she says. When you want to upgrade the mattress any standard queen works in the 30T not in the ACE. I would say that once you look beyond the glitz you will find the Winnebago LX far superior to the ACE. Easy to justify 20K more IMHO.
ranchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:59 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

What ranchdog says about the bed in the Vista LX is absolutely right! It is a real innerspring queen mattress and is COMFORTABLE. Not the usual slab of foam that you get in entry level RVs.

X2 on the construction, the Winnebago Vista has the same design features as the other higher cost Winnebagos do in terms of wall construction and roof construction. Roof is single fiberglass covered panel that lasts and can not tear and leak like a rubber membrame roof construction.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:51 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

When I was shopping for one a repair guy I know said to buy a used Winnie over any new Thor as the quality and materials on Thor are lesser quality than Winnie's... I got a 20 year old Itasca that is solid-no rattles and all the cabinets are tight. The Thor we looked at were falling apart new on the lot. Look closely and feel the flex in the floor, doors, walls and cabinets.

Best of luck.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:07 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Well we travelled two hours to the only dealer around the area and long story short, the manager was extremely rude, appeared to be bothered, wouldn't discuss the price in fact he rudely stated "I will not even take 95.00 off" didn't show us any RV's we walked the lot by ourselves and walked right out. We were ready to spend over 100k but being an ass drove us to another dealer we ended up with a Thor Ace 30.3. The Winnebago was our first choice unfortunately we do not have many dealers and had to consider yearly service.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:01 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

When we purchased our very first RV in 2015, we chose the Winnebago Vista 35F. We studied RV's, fifth wheels , price points and manufacturers for almost two years before buying. The choice for us was the Winnebago.....Why?
1.) After looking at many manufacturers, the Winnebago seemed to be better built. Do not confuse better built with best looking or prettiest for the money.
2.) Every part on a Winnebago is serialized and on the part itself. You need the part a few years later, you have the part number. I found most manufactured do not do this procedure.
3.) Floor plan.
4.) I came to the conclusion the discount needs to be at least 23% off at a minimum from MSRP to break even if you needed to dump rig for some reason. Ideal is is around 30%. we bought at 30% off from MSRP
5.) Interest is tax deductible as a second home.

Our Winnebago has had a few warranty issues that were corrected. However, I view these corrections the same way when buying a newly built home during the "punchout" period or warranty corrections. I would never assume everything on a new rig will be 100% working perfect or crafted to perfection.
gmccash is offline   Reply With Quote