Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-23-2016, 07:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Vista 32K Compartment Question

I have a Vista 32K. The largest and best compartment is behind / under the couch next to the door. It is the perfect spot to store frequently accessed items such as kids toys, bug spay, shoes, etc. The only issue I have with it is that it is open to the coach above so when the kids open it and spend 5 minutes standing in front of it (for reasons I can't explain) all the cold air escapes and all the bugs fly in.

I have to assume there is a reason for having left this open to the coach, does anybody have an idea? There is no plumbing or tanks in the area that need to be kept warm.

Has anybody sealed it up? I'm considering making a removable panel from rigid foam insulation to seal it off from the living space. Thoughts?

Thanks
TeamD_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

If you don't see a good reason for that to be open and there are no pipes or tanks in or near that compartment, I don't see why you couldn't seal it up. I have a 35G and don't have that compartment.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:44 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2012 32k and have thought about sealing it also. I also want to replace the jack knife couch with recliners and by sealing the opening that would create a better base for the replacement furniture. It might be a bit tricky as the outside cd radio is covered inside with a metal shroud that will need to be dealt with?
sask66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:41 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I thought about sealing mine until my wife discovered that it makes a great place for a clothes hamper. Our old rig had one in the bathroom but this one doesn't. So we put a laundry basket in there and drop the dirty clothes down between the couch and window. Works pretty well...
Old 12-31-2016, 02:27 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

modifications

2008 Vista 32K I used a plywood cover with 2X4 on back edge for strength. Also removed valence in front of couch for storage underneath. Added cabinet doors to to ends of dinette seats for access without removing cushions. On the back side of U dinette holes were cut for access to that storage. Cabinet doors would have been in the way, so used velcro to secure carpet to cover openings.
Remus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 12:01 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Remus, is it possible to send pictures of those modifications? They sound interesting and effective.
Thanks.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:12 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Will try to get pictures in the morning.
Remus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 05:41 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Or, you could just keep that compartment locked!
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:59 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Decided to replace jack knife sofa with a double recliner. Removed old jack knife sofa, will put a 3/4 inch piece of plywood over opening. Removed the outside entertainment center to allow for recliner. Ordered the recliner from Amazon. Should work o.k.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:43 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Found out recliner will fit without removing the outside cd/radio. There is a metal protective shell over it but recliner is a wall hugger type and the base is far enough away so it doesn't interfere with the shell.