Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2019, 06:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Vista 31KE Hood latches

Hood latches, any advice/ both now have fallen off, epoxy is unstable.

jkbpeavey
jkbpeavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:36 AM   #2
JBP
Winnie-Wise

Did you contact Winnebago for advice. Are you within your warranty? What year coach? Have not had that problem. Let us know the final out come.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:48 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I would contact Winnebago even if out of warranty. I believe they are now recommending a different epoxy. I have heard of some that have added a layer of fiberglass over the latch after attaching with epoxy.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:20 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I cleaned the area with rotary wire brush and lacquer thinner then used plenty of JB Weld and carefully clamped for 24 hours. I suggest you do it when it is warm. You can purchase large tubes of JB Weld on Amazon. Worked well for us.
Park Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:11 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Correcting the failed bracket attachments for the engine front cover and the grill

We had one bracket came completely loose and found that the other was loose we removed the existing loose epoxy and drilled through the bracket and fiberglass added jb weld between the bracket and fiberglass and bolted both brackets on.
Now Secure, looks good, and will not reoccur like any other temp fix

Looking further I found that the grill brackets were also loose and several already unattached so I cleaned all the epoxy from the fiberglass and brackets and applied a very liberal amount of jb weld I applied tension by using boards on the outside surface and pulling the screen and brackets right and left for 24 hours. Worked great
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CE9BDCCA-1D31-4FDB-96A3-2811FB04E167.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	172291   Click image for larger version

Name:	01434ECF-275D-44C3-95BC-9314A7DBE580.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	172292  

Click image for larger version

Name:	5835EF84-6E88-4F1F-A0B8-19B7E16D6038.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	402.6 KB
ID:	172293  
Edbehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:46 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thumbs up

man that's a good looking job
Old 10-06-2019, 08:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Yup, I also used JB Weld in liberal amounts right over what was left of the original glue, whatever it was. So far so good, next thing is to zip tie both brackets to something on the inside, as the only thing that saved it last time was it caught in the headlight wiring and I spotted it dangling when I pulled into my next stop. Whew!
mitchoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:16 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I used hurricane shudder bolts which have large flat heads which I spray painted to match the coach
Bolts installed = permanent fix
Edbehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 03:49 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

There are other recent posts on this subject. It's not uncommon at all. My dealer did my hood latches (before I lost them) and I did the grill brackets. Only time will tell how it holds up but they appear pretty secure at this time.

Also, essentially everything on the front end is held of with the same sealant so when I was fixing the grill, I put sealant on anything I could reach.

If you can't find the post/pics let me know and I'll repost here.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:19 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

My fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbpeavey View Post
Hood latches, any advice/ both now have fallen off, epoxy is unstable.

jkbpeavey
Mine fell of last year. Used a battery powered chisel tool to get all of old epoxy off. Marked were they were mounted before removing. Used Gorilla glue heavy duty construction adhesive with a couple spring tension rods against fire wall to hold in place. Also drilled a bunch of holes in brackets for glue to ooze through. Holding great and were on some very rough roads this year. If you lost the brackets you can get them from Winnebago, I did but they are expensive. I now have them wired to the frame so I won't loose them should them come unglued.
Herbste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 06:29 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

My 2018 Intent, pretty much the same grill and front end construction, my grill was loose in maybe half of its mounts. I used 3m extra strength double sided tape to fix. But I did first clean both surfaces first.
K9AEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:37 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Back in '16 had found that several of the fiberglass panels on the rear of the RV had come loose from the epoxy brackets. I didn't bother with the epoxy at all. Just re-positioned any brackets that were coming loose on the stubs of broken epoxy so they were nice and flat, used a slim drill and drilled from the back of the bracket through one of the bracket holes, through the epoxy, and then through the front of the fiberglass end cap.

Than used a countersink on the surface, for flathead stainless screws. I used 6-32, but 8-32 would be fine as well. SS washers and plastic insert nuts completed the job.

Doing it this way means I haven't needed to revisit the repair at all in 3 years now. The loose sections of the front and rear of the RV are just fine, nice and solid. No tendency for there to be any cracks in the fiberglass. Looks good, can't hardly see the screws. I haven't even bothered to paint the screw heads yet, but doing so would make them all but invisible. Easy to remove the screws if I want to take a fender or panel off to access something behind.

Best part is I didn't have to mess with that messy epoxy. I've done both the rear of the RV and the front. Very happy with the results.

Here's a link to my blog articles (no ads): Body Work...

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:00 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Yes, epoxy is so temperamental and wonder why a company like Winnebago continues to use this construction process in their builds. Screws are more permanent and .... yes.... they can be undone if there is a replacement need.
K9AEG is offline   Reply With Quote