Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-27-2018, 05:12 AM   #1

Vista 29VE Inverter outlets

Yesterday I tested the electrical outlets in our new 29VE to see which ones worked with the inverter turned on (and not connected to shore power).

It turns out that I could only find 3 outlets: the one next to the passenger seat and the two outlets in the bedroom cubbies (either side of the head of the bed).

Does that match everyone else?

I'm surprised that it was not connected to the outlet below the TV. If this one had been connected it would have made it easy to pull in things like a coffee maker while it sat on the dinette table when we were boondocking.

I also meant to test the TV's to see if they worked off the Inverter (or the batteries with DC) and will to do that today.
ddaudelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:01 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Should be a few more - look at the diagram on page 7 or 8 , depending on if you have the 2nd AC option or not.

https://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/2018/000124818.pdf
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:07 AM   #3

Thank you, that was very helpful. It does show that I should have a few more locations including the TV's and the outside refrigerator. I will double check them today!
Old 12-27-2018, 11:48 AM   #4
Let's kill some bugs!

Don't be surprised if the Winnebago schematic is wrong. My 32YE schematic is clearly wrong for my 2018 Vista. I'm not complaining because if the schematic was correct it would be too many sockets on the BRN circuit, IMO. I'm happy with the wiring of my RV, just letting everyone know Winnebago can make documentation mistakes. I've been meaning to inform Winnebago, but don't have an email address. I'll have to call them someday. Below in red and blue shows what I believe my actual schematic is, based on testing each socket with the breaker switches.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	32YE schematic correction2.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	170762  
John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 03:27 PM   #5

I looked at the electrical drawings for my Vista 29VE (page 7). The inverter is supposed to power these outlets:
- Night stand #1
- Night stand #2
- All 3 TV's
- Exterior Refrigerator
- A/V Cabinet (BOMB)
- Dinette Wall
- Under Galley

- Outlet in exterior cabinet
- RH front (near passenger seat)

But in testing, it does not work for these 4 outlets:
- Exterior Refrigerator
- Dinette Wall
- Under Galley

Next I'll contact Winnebago. I'm hoping that it's something that I can fix as I'd hate to have it sitting in one of the local dealer lots while they try to figure it out.

Dennis
Old 12-27-2018, 04:30 PM   #6
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaudelin View Post
I looked at the electrical drawings for my Vista 29VE (page 7). The inverter is supposed to power these outlets:
- Night stand #1
- Night stand #2
- All 3 TV's
- Exterior Refrigerator
- A/V Cabinet (BOMB)
- Dinette Wall
- Under Galley

- RH front (near passenger seat)

But in testing, it does not work for these 4 outlets:
- Exterior Refrigerator
- Dinette Wall
- Under Galley

Next I'll contact Winnebago. I'm hoping that it's something that I can fix as I'd hate to have it sitting in one of the local dealer lots while they try to figure it out.

Dennis
Are you sure you got the right schematic? There are two schematics for the 2018 29VE RV. I made that mistake and discovered there were two versions of wiring for my 32YE. The above schematic I posted the correction turns out to be for a different serial number sequence, I got the wrong schematic.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:00 AM   #7

Yes, I'm sure that I got the right one. The two exist for the two configurations: 30 amp 1 AC unit and the 50 amp 2 AC units. In both diagrams, those same missing connections are identified.

And it's always good to double check!
Old 01-02-2019, 07:00 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I was told Winnebago had 2 versions of the Vista 29VE in 2018. The 7th digit in the serial number determines which you have. Ours is the first version (X1). Also, it is the 30 amp. Since we have the outside galley Winnebago mandated the inverter to run the exterior gallery refrigerator since it isn’t dual powered with propane and you wouldn’t want to have to run the generator just to keep that fridge cold. So that receptacle should be hot while on inverter power. If it’s not hot check your GFIs to make sure they don’t need to be reset. Also, you can make sure they’re hot by testing them while on shore power. After thinking about it, I believe all but one of our receptacles on the starboard side, inside and out, are powered off the inverter when not on shore power or generator. Also, keep in mind the inverter is relatively small compared to the generator, ours is 1,000 watts. Many coffee pots draw 1000 watts or more alone.
Rishon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:45 AM   #9

Yes, Rishon, we also have the outdoor kitchen so I expected those circuits to be working from the inverter like they do when the shore power or generator is on.

I've emailed Winnebago and am waiting for their answer. I've found the connectors under the dinette seat.

Dennis
Old 01-04-2019, 05:51 AM   #10

I just got an email from Winnebago saying that the external refrigerator should be powered off the inverter but none of the other outlets should be. I went back to the print and he's right that they don't show an outlet symbol, just a pass-thru box symbol. So, that's my error.

I need to figure out why the external refrigerator is not working off the inverter. That will be the first step. I'll retest with shore power today just in case the gfi kicked off.

I'd like to add at least the dinette and under galley outlets. Does any know how to do that? Can I just add a line to the connectors under the dinette seat? Is it that simple?

Thanks,

Dennis
Old 01-04-2019, 08:02 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I agree with powercat_ras. After looking at the diagram for your 29VE everything south of the Inverter on page 7 of 000124818 (https://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/2018/000124818.pdf) should be powered by the inverter.

Looks like there might be a lot going on in RCP-B (LAV CABINET)

The three you mentioned and I know several more of ours work of the inverter. I should be able to test ours today and let you know.

Rich
Old 01-07-2019, 05:21 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

OK, sorry for the delay. Here's a list of the receptacles that work off out inverter.

bedroom tv receptacle
both bedside cubby receptacles
receptacle in cabinet over dining table
receptacle in entertainment cabinet over door
receptacle next to passenger seat
receptacle in external TV enclosure
receptacle in external galley (I think it should be a GFI but ours is not)
receptacle the external galley fridge is plugged into

Seems like quite a lot for a 1000 watt inverter but most things are low power these days

Hope this helps!
Rich
Old 01-08-2019, 04:45 AM   #13

Hello Rishon, it's good to know that both external galley plugs are inverter powered in your rig. We don't have any inverter power there and plan to get it fixed. The connectors for these outlets in underneath the bathroom sink cabinet. I hope to be able to figure them out and get this working. Thanks!!
Old 01-28-2019, 05:41 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Curious how things worked out with your power issues. Also, noticed you’re towing an Edge. We haven’t gotten a toad yet but are in the market. Wonder how performance is towing the Edge. Thanks! Rich
Old 01-28-2019, 05:51 AM   #15

We towed the Edge (4200 lbs) with the 29VE last weekend and didn't even know that it was there. Now I'm in Florida which is basically flat. We'll see how it handles when we go north and west this summer. I'm not expecting any issues. Last year we towed the Edge behind our View for 4800 miles without problem. We went from Florida through New England into Canada and back through 1000 Islands, NY to Louisville then Huntsville and back to Florida.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:53 AM   #16

I should also mention that I've updated the ECU with the Five Star Tuning kit. What a great improvement in shifting (up and down) and in acceleration from a stop. I didn't know what to expect and did it on the strong recommendation of a neighbor but he was right. It's wonderful...
Old 01-28-2019, 06:18 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the toad info. We are new to RVing, the 29VE being our first RV, and just receiving it in December. I’ve been looking for a late 2000s Honda CR-V but hard to find. I thought I’d like to stay in the 3000-3500 weight class. I hadn’t even thought of adding an ECU and really don’t know where to start but now you’ve gotten me intrigued. I’m more of a computer guy and less (much less) of a mechanic.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:21 PM   #18
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaudelin View Post
We towed the Edge (4200 lbs) with the 29VE last weekend and didn't even know that it was there. Now I'm in Florida which is basically flat. We'll see how it handles when we go north and west this summer. I'm not expecting any issues. Last year we towed the Edge behind our View for 4800 miles without problem. We went from Florida through New England into Canada and back through 1000 Islands, NY to Louisville then Huntsville and back to Florida.
I assume you're using a dolly to tow the Edge, correct? I don't think that car is compatible to flat tow, if my research is correct.

My wife has an Edge and I never thought about towing it because it's not flat towable. It's also a heavier 2011 model (truck chassis) before they went to the unibody construction. I was leaning toward towing a toad around 3500lb range, such as an older Jeep Cherokee (3400lbs), using the inline 4L 6cyl motor. Those are great for 4 wheeling occasionally, and it's an SUV with lots of room.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:18 AM   #19

My Edge is a 2018 and can be towed flat. I do have to remove the negative side of the battery to turn off the computers and put it into neutral but that's all. In general, lower weight is best with a toad. I used the Dinghy Towing Guides to pick a vehicle that can be towed. Check out your vehicle by year to see if it can be towed:
Downloadable Dinghy Towing Guides | MotorHome Magazine

I just looked up the 2011 Edge and it can be flat towed according to the guide above. But it's your choice of what to tow.

Tags
inverter