Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2015, 04:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Vista 27N/Sunstar 27N?

Hello all.
I'm looking get our 1st MH. Deciding on these 26-29' A's:
Sunstar/Vista 27N vs. Windstar/Hurricane 27k vs. Coachment 27kb.

Any comments good or bad?

Though this isn't the most important item -
what kind of MPG are you getting on the Sunstar/Vista?

Thanks.
Arniem60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 05:38 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Thumbs up

Got our Vista 27N in Oct. had it out twice , so far so good. just had the toad set up. Leaving the end of March for Clearwater. Just DW and I, plenty of room.
HOTICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:09 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I bought my Vista 27N in June 2013. So far I have driven about 8,000 miles towing a CR-V over the Rockies, Sierra, and Siskiyous. Plenty of power. It handled well from the factory but had a somewhat harsh ride. I had the CHF done to tighten up the suspension and changed the factory Bilstein shocks to Monroes to soften the ride. It's great now.
The Vista has a huge amount of storage, both basement and inside, and the largest kitchen counter I have seen in a 28 foot coach. I have had only a couple of minor warranty issues, a wood joint in the "box" supporting one of the dinette cushions opened up and there was a minor water leak form a loose faucet connection under the vanity sink. Overall I am very pleased with the quality and finish. I traded a total dog of a new 2013 Thor ACE 27.1 that I owned for 3 months for the Vista. Not happy about loosing money on the trade, but it was worth every penny to have the Vista. PS mileage stinks, I average 7.5 mpg; bad for a motor vehicle, but great mileage for an apartment.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:40 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally Time View Post
I bought my Vista 27N in June 2013. So far I have driven about 8,000 miles towing a CR-V over the Rockies, Sierra, and Siskiyous. Plenty of power. It handled well from the factory but had a somewhat harsh ride. I had the CHF done to tighten up the suspension and changed the factory Bilstein shocks to Monroes to soften the ride. It's great now.
The Vista has a huge amount of storage, both basement and inside, and the largest kitchen counter I have seen in a 28 foot coach. I have had only a couple of minor warranty issues, a wood joint in the "box" supporting one of the dinette cushions opened up and there was a minor water leak form a loose faucet connection under the vanity sink. Overall I am very pleased with the quality and finish. I traded a total dog of a new 2013 Thor ACE 27.1 that I owned for 3 months for the Vista. Not happy about loosing money on the trade, but it was worth every penny to have the Vista. PS mileage stinks, I average 7.5 mpg; bad for a motor vehicle, but great mileage for an apartment.
WHAT SHOCKS DID YOU USE,... THANKS FOR BEING HONEST ABOUT THE MPG...
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:12 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Arniem60

We have the Sunstar 27N. Only problem so far has been with the generator. The control board went south, was replaced under warranty.

As for gas mileage we have been on two trips. The first one was towing a Jeep Liberty, went 1259 miles, lots of hills and mountains, used 184.87 gallons of gas for 6.81mpg.

Second trip was with no TOAD. Trip was from McMinnville, Or to San Antonio, Tx, from there to Louisville, Ky,then back to McMinnville, Or. Total mileage for trip was 6,312 miles and fuel used was 756.43 gallons for an average of 8.34mpg. I did install the 5Star tune prior to the second trip which may have increased the fuel mileage a little.

Tom
Old 01-25-2015, 10:36 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Smile thanks for comments, especially mpg

i appreciate your great comments. appears the the 27N has
very few issues that seem to be common among other
manufacturers. Also, your honest info on MPG is helpful.
The Dealer at Camping World said the 27N would get 8-12 mpg.
Unless others have different figures, the dealer obviously
'oversold' this feature!
Arniem60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:46 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

For 2 forcefull. I just checked my invoice. Doesn't help much, just says "2 shocks front Monro RV Magnum" and "2 shocks rear Monro RV Magnum." Half the price of the Konis.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:59 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We bought the Vista 30T, in December and very disappointed due to the poor quality control. Check lists don't mean a thing if the components aren't performing as expected. Items had been checked off as long as they powered on, regardless if they actually functioned. Our should never had been allowed to leave the factory, as it has been in the shop for 41 of the 57 days we have owned it undergoing various warranty repairs.
2015RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:28 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Just finished a 1300 mile trip from Austin, TX to Palm Springs in a new 27n. Everything performed flawlessly. Mileage was similar to above comments. LOTS of room inside with the slides out. I am missing having a couch - but the big seats are okay when swivelled around. It seems to have many, many accessories and systems left out of the 30 series, so I think it is worth the extra cost.

You have to make certain to get it re-aligned after loading with your stuff, and to set the tire pressure correctly after it is weighed. This will solve any handling problems you might have read about here. IMHO.

I have spent a month in the coach now, and I have no complaints!
danhannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:10 PM   #10

Danhanna, we are awaiting the delivery of our 2015 Itasca Sunstar27N, same as the Vista. We live in Eugene, Or.. Because of the size of the rig I am courious as to where you went to have your coach aligned? Does any Ford dealerships or Les Schweb do it?
Thanks,
Larryjeans
larryjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 06:44 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

We got our 2015 27 N in Aug. 2014, we have enjoyed it. We had a little problem with our jacks, light would come on and alarm would sound. Has done it twice and have not had any problem since. We have just put 3500 miles on it . We plane to do a couple 30 day trips with week trips worked in this year. After the tire pressure adjusted it handles a lot better. Slides make a good bet of noise, have cleaned rubber with just wet towel and them sprayed the rubber several times. Dealer says that is standard with most small coaches ????. As been said ,it does have a lot of storage and is spacious for two. You will need pad for queen bed we have found it to be alittle hard.( maybe you may like hard bed )This is our first MH , but have had ;3 travel trailers in the past. We do like the MH over the travel trailer. Hope you enjoy what you decide on.
WV Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:09 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryjeans View Post
Danhanna, we are awaiting the delivery of our 2015 Itasca Sunstar27N, same as the Vista. We live in Eugene, Or.. Because of the size of the rig I am courious as to where you went to have your coach aligned? Does any Ford dealerships or Les Schweb do it?
Thanks,
Larryjeans
Most Ford dealers cannot do motor home alignment. If you have a Ford truck dealer nearby, they might. Generally any place doing truck, i.e. big-rig suspension work will do motor homes too. In southern Oregon the best known name for alignment, and suspension work in general, is Henderson's in Grants Pass.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:45 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Larryjeans,

Have you got your coach yet? Write and let us know. You will love it. It is a high-quality, well thought out vehicle, and has all the goodies.

As far as the alignment, I would have an authorized Winnebago dealer do it. I'm not sure who that is in Eugene. Not Camping World, perhaps. I had additional castor put in when they aligned my coach. About 1.5 degrees over spec. The dealer made me sign a waiver, denying responsibility for the above-spec caster. I have mine set at 6 degrees, I think the Ford people say 4.5, and I couldn't be happier with my extra caster.

Tracks straight down the road, and coming through the winds of Palm Springs yesterday, I felt solid and secure, amazing for 40 mph gusts.... This is a bad area for wind, but we did better than my fairly solid 2011 class C did last year.

When I bought my 27n Sunstar in January, I blasted down the 10 from Austin, Texas to Palm Springs at 75-80 mph; I know, that's too fast, but it likes that speed in the desert at night, and it runs great. So quiet, on good road, it's almost surreal...Driving an apartment that fast.

It gets 7.5 mpg overall.

All of the $$$ others spend for suspension upgrades can be fixed with 80-82 psi in all tires, after weighing in, and a getting a proper alignment. YMMV of course.

PM me and I will give you my phone number, in case you have questions about the unit. There are some fairly complex systems aboard.

I worry too much about the slides and the jacks, but that's only because I read the complaints in these forums - only the problems are reported here, not the successes. I've had no problems yet.

Knock on wood...

Cheers,

Dan
danhannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:43 AM   #14

Dannhana

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post
Larryjeans,

Have you got your coach yet? Write and let us know. You will love it. It is a high-quality, well thought out vehicle, and has all the goodies.

As far as the alignment, I would have an authorized Winnebago dealer do it. I'm not sure who that is in Eugene. Not Camping World, perhaps. I had additional castor put in when they aligned my coach. About 1.5 degrees over spec. The dealer made me sign a waiver, denying responsibility for the above-spec caster. I have mine set at 6 degrees, I think the Ford people say 4.5, and I couldn't be happier with my extra caster.

Tracks straight down the road, and coming through the winds of Palm Springs yesterday, I felt solid and secure, amazing for 40 mph gusts.... This is a bad area for wind, but we did better than my fairly solid 2011 class C did last year.

When I bought my 27n Sunstar in January, I blasted down the 10 from Austin, Texas to Palm Springs at 75-80 mph; I know, that's too fast, but it likes that speed in the desert at night, and it runs great. So quiet, on good road, it's almost surreal...Driving an apartment that fast.

It gets 7.5 mpg overall.

All of the $$$ others spend for suspension upgrades can be fixed with 80-82 psi in all tires, after weighing in, and a getting a proper alignment. YMMV of course.

PM me and I will give you my phone number, in case you have questions about the unit. There are some fairly complex systems aboard.

I worry too much about the slides and the jacks, but that's only because I read the complaints in these forums - only the problems are reported here, not the successes. I've had no problems yet.

Knock on wood..

Cheers,

Dan
Thanks, have not gotten the coach yet. Within one or two weeks, hopefully. Planning a cross country trip after a couple of shake down runs. We are getting our coach from Guarentee RV in Junction City. I will check with them to see if they do alignments. I will pm you for your phone #. Interested in where you are staying in
Palm Springs as we intend to do that next winter for at least a month. We are from the So Cal area originally.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:32 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

[QUOTE=Finally Time;2396614]I bought my Vista 27N in June 2013. I had the CHF done to tighten up the suspension and changed the factory Bilstein shocks to Monroes to soften the ride. It's great now.
QUOTE]

What made you go for the Monroe's? Price or characteristics?

Did you do the CHF and the Monroe's at once?
Is the combination just perfect now or is it a little too soft / boncy in front?
Tricolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:13 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

[QUOTE=Tricolor;2466028]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally Time View Post
I bought my Vista 27N in June 2013. I had the CHF done to tighten up the suspension and changed the factory Bilstein shocks to Monroes to soften the ride. It's great now.
QUOTE]

What made you go for the Monroe's? Price or characteristics?

Did you do the CHF and the Monroe's at once?
Is the combination just perfect now or is it a little too soft / boncy in front?
New, the coach rode and handled ok, but not great. First I weighed it loaded for travel with the water tank 2/3 full, adjusted the tire pressure according to the weight, which turned out to be the same 82 lbs. as on the Winnebago placard. Then I had the alignment checked, which also turned out to be in spec. I had the shop do the CHF, front and rear, at the same time. That made the already hard ride even harder but it did make a little improvement in the handling.

I went back to the suspension shop and the owner recommended Monroes to soften the ride. He said he thought Konis were overpriced and upgraded Bilsteins would still give a harder ride than Monroes. He said if I didn't like the Monroes he would take them back at no cost except for the labor. The lower price was just a bonus. (He showed me the old shocks after he took them off. He could push them down with one hand and when he let go they slowly extended. No real dampening effect there.)

The ride is perfect for me now. It is not bouncy or mushy, just smooth.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:34 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Vista 27N

We purchased our Vista 27N new in November 2014, and really like. Most of the problems have been minor or just annoying, nothing that has stopped us from using the unit.

One of those annoying problems is the passenger side large wall slide. Under way it was noisy and would walk out about an inch or so. The dealer stated that was "normal" for these units and the only fix was to use side locks. I talked to Winnebago directly, and they stated the same thing. The side locks have solved this problem and aren't too hard to use, just annoying. Just wondering, does anybody else with a 27N had the same problem?

Another annoying problem that has been discussed on this forum is that the fresh water tank will siphon down when driving. The overflow tube does not goes up above the tank high enough to break the siphon when the water is sloshing around when driving. The correct fix is to raise the overflow tube, and install a siphon break at it highest point. However there doesn't seem to be a way to obtain the height needed. I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks

Terry
2014, Vista 27N currently in Arizona.
twjacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:31 PM   #18

twjacks, we are waiting for our 2015 Sunstar 27N. Does Winnebago provide the slide locks? My Fleetwood did and my Winnebago View did also.
Thanks
Old 03-16-2015, 07:12 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

I have driven about 9,000 miles in my 2013 Vista 27N. Never had the slides move, however the awning arms move out an inch or two after driving a few days. I also had the siphion problem. The dealer fixed it under warranty by re-plumbing the overflow.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:15 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Larryjeans, yes the dealer provided the slide locks, no charge.

Terry
2014, 27N Vista
twjacks is offline   Reply With Quote