Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2015, 09:01 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Vista 27N Awning and kitchen slide question

Hi everyone,
Just go our new (to us) 27N a few weeks ago. So far just a few weekend trips but heading out soon for a week long trip.

Does anyone else have an issue extending / closing the awning with the patio side kitchen slide out? The awning roller seems to get hung up on the slide-topper on the slide and won't roll out. Our awning has the metal(?) cover on it - not sure if that was standard or an option.

The dealer told us the slide had to be in to operate the awning. Very inconvenient if staying for a while and putting the awning in every night or needing to quickly get it in for a coming storm, and you have to move things and put the slide in first.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue, and if there is a remedy. I've searched here and several other forums, but haven't seen anyone mention it.
Thanks!
vawinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 05:05 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

We don't have that issue on our 2014. However the clearance is awfully tight, and I sometimes wondered if the awning might catch on the topper. Our cover is fabric, not metal. i wonder if the extra weight??

You might duct-tape that area that hits, underneath your awning, and see if that allows the awning to slide freely over the topper. If it does, then maybe glue a piece of canvas or light plastic sheet where the test duct tape was?

Does this make sense?

Dan

PS What an unacceptable answer to pull in the slide every time you want to pull in the awning. We don't leave our awning out when we leave for an afternoon - what if the wind comes up? You have to fix it so that you can run it in and out at will....
Old 09-11-2015, 06:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

My 2015 37F has the same issue with the couch slide. If I am going to use the awing (metal cover) I have to extend it first and then extend the slide out.

I wonder what other models have the same issue
Old 09-12-2015, 08:15 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 2014 27N and I do not have a problem with the awning hitting the slide.
jjsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:55 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

No problem with my 2013 27N either..
dwaugh10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:30 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

No issue extended the awning when the passenger slide is out on my 30T. The only problem I have is that the awning initially tilts outward then stops. Once the tube unfurls a couple of turns, then the awning falls away from the RV and then the awning extends out normally.
dezrtracr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 01:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2013 Vista 27N. No problem extending or retracting the the awning with the slide out. Reminds me of a car dealer saying "they are all like that" when you go in with a problem. I once had a car that screeched when the ac was turned on; dealer said they all do that. I said let's take a couple of the others on your lot for a test drive and check that out. They repaired my ac with no further comments.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:24 PM   #8

Sunstar 27n awning

Wee have a 2016 27N same problem, dealer tech said they all have that issue, he said not to worry. Still put it out when we need to with the kitchen slide out.
larryjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:26 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Not a problem with our 27n 2013.
Not completely on the subject but be careful bringing the awning in when the door is open. Last year the shroud that goes over the up and down mechanism caught on the door and before I could stop it the door bent the shroud. Costly to replace.
sask66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:36 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Smile

No problem with our 2015 27N awning. Just make sure you fasten the door , before opening/ closing . Cost me 900+ for that lesson
WV Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:48 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

No problem with our 2015 27N awning passing over slide out. It is close . But just make sure you fasten the door when opening / closing awning. That lesson cost me 900+. I could get into a long discussion about the location of switch to open / close awning.
WV Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:11 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everyone for the replies! Sorry I didn't report back sooner, but we were camping with no internet all last week.

It seems to be the metal cover pushing it down onto the slide topper in the rear. We did try it last week and it did retract with the slide out, although it rubs the slide topper a bit. Next time I'll try using a broom handle to push up on the back edge of the cover as we're rolling it out to see if that gets it past the slide.

When camping last week, we put the awning out first then the slide, and just brought the awning in to the edge of the slide when leaving camp or at night. Hopefully that will be good enough for all but very high winds, and since it seems to retract all the way OK if needed, we can bring it all the way in in case of emergency.

Just seems a little silly to have to do that, but we are loving this RV even more than we thought we would, so I will put up with this minor annoyance.
vawinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, slide