Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2020, 04:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Video Switching Center

What's that you say? A video switching center?

OK, in my rig it is called a Magnadyne Video Switching Center (VSC) and it is located in a "swing down" cabinet above my entry door. On the front it has a number of buttons that direct your AV signal... antenna, cable, satellite, etc. You know, the stuff everybody pretty well knows.

So who uses the various inputs on the back of the VSC???

This has been bugging me ever since I first saw it and began contemplating what the possibilities were. There are 5 total inputs on the back... Antenna TV and Cable TV are the no-brainers... but here is my question...

Who uses the other three? DVD, Aux1 and Aux2. If you use these, how do you use them? Inquiring minds want to know.

For example, can you get a small DVD player up in there? Is there power to tap into? There are a couple of access panels and there seems like enough room inside the VSC to mount some stuff.

Just wanted to throw this out there to see what "electronically minded" owners were doing with their VSC... hopefully something unique, cool or ingenious that the rest of us might learn from??? Thank you from a "pandemic stayer at home for now."
Old 04-28-2020, 07:15 PM   #2
CO Sunova Owner

Check your supplemental owners manual which explains the VSC unit and all its functions. The VSC only handles analog inputs and sends them out analog, therefore Standard Definition. On my Sunova which may has a compartment large enough to put the DVD player that came with it is located on top of the VSC. The DVD player is connected to the DVD input on the back of the VSC. The DVD plays also plays digital directly to the main TV directly. If you use the VSC, it will send analog to the other TVs in your rig. Also, I use the "Aux 1" input for my satellite TV so I can watch satellite TV on my bedroom TV and the exterior TV, which means only standard definition. For the Aux 1 connection, I had to get a "digital to analog converter box" to go from the satellite receiver HDMI to produce an analog digital input to the VSC. Winnebago made it so complicated that you almost have to have a Electronics Engineering degree to figure out how setup and watch cable and satellite TV, DVD, etc in their rigs. I made a checklist so I can remember and my wife can use as a reference when we want to watch something on TV. You can use Aux 2 for anything else you may want to view as an analog input. Hopefully that helps.
navnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 12:42 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thank you for the useful info... I guess i did not know how wide-spread the use of these switching center units were. I see there are different types, models, etc. But the Magnadyne Model VCS-10 seems to have been used by quite a few manufacturers for quite a few years. I will have to play around with it to see how i can get a dvd player in there.
Old 05-01-2020, 10:03 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I have played around a bit with my VCS-10; The thing makes switching between video sources so much easier. This device allows you to send different video sources to each TV in your unit (I have a total of three TVs, but will probably never use all three at the same time). In my 2019 Sunstar the DVD input is located in an overhead bin, right next to the VCS. That bin is just the right size for a standard DVD player, and also contains an AC power receptacle. That particular receptacle is also connected to my inverter.
My VCS does receive and distribute high definition signals.
I only got my Sunstar in January, so I am still discovering things about my MH.
stenzack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 08:00 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Good post as I have been contemplating the usage of the video switcher as well. Unfortunately, Winnebago chose to wire my 2019 Vista, as I am sure most coaches, with coaxial cable instead of HDMI. That makes using the switcher more difficult as most AV equipment is going to HDMI only for output. I have been looking at HDMI to RF converters to solve the problem. Not real cheap, but from what I read, trying to rewire with HDMI is not an easy task. Has anyone used and had success with a converter such as this:
https://thorbroadcast.com/product/pe...yABEgKWq_D_BwE
Old 05-10-2020, 08:26 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Here's an article from "The Wirecutter" (a reputable source) about a wireless solution:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/th...o-transmitter/
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 06:16 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks BobC! I’ll look into that. Was hoping to have cc’da central cabinet with outputs switched. Not sure that will happen without breaking the bank.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:22 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Given today's technology, I think wireless is best anyway. It's much more flexible if you want to move something. As far as controlling inputs, etc. I'd opt for an inexpensive audio/video receiver.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 05:03 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

How I beat the video switch to add Satellite

I spent a lot of time trying to get the video switch working with Dish Satellite, both portable and home based dish on my home roof (for testing only - not enough cable for the road.) I even tried contacting Winnebago. They knew less about it than I did. Here is what I ended up doing. I had a Winegard SK 1000 dish installed with hybrid LNB. I also installed 2 wired Joeys in bedroom and outdoor TVs. I connected these directly to Solo port. I use a Hopper 3 on the front TV. I used three A/B 90 ohms simple switches. (A/B 1)The A input is wired to my portable satellite and the B input is my Winegard roof dish. This output goes to second A/B switch (A/B 2) - B input. The A input is from video switch Front TV. The output is the coax that goes to front TV. I also installed an A/B switch (A/B 3) at the front TV. (A) is antenna/cable that goes to TV and (B) is to my Dish Receiver. The input is the main coax from video box. So I can now use video switch (A) for cable and antenna and (B) for satellite (B). I just connect the Hopper 3 to HDMI that goes to TV and coax (B). It works awesome! I know there is a lot here... if you decide to try this message me and I will give you the fine details. Basically I just bypassed the cheap video switch for satellite.
TheBigBed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
switch