Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2022, 05:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Vibration at speed

I've got a 2018 Sunstar 29VE that I've owned for about a year and a half. Put on about 10K miles (total mileage is 18K) and the only problem has been the front hood brackets and grill brackets falling off / coming loose. I fixed those with lots of elbow grease removing glue / sanding and applying epoxy, so far so good. But the issue I can't get a handle on is a vibration that starts around 35-40 mph. It may get a little better at higher speed, but never really goes away. I've had the front tires balanced, but one was ok and the other just needed a little weight. So in doing a little searching, it seems it may be an alignment issue or some other suspension problem, like shocks. I thought the Goodyear tire guys that checked the balance would have said something if it was bad alignment. I always thought an alignment issue would result in pulling one way or another. Any help or thoughts about what might cause the vibration would be appreciated, thanks.
edju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 08:07 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I own a semi truck alignment shop. We also align rvs. My first guess is that your toe is not set correctly on the steer axle. Trust me, do not count on the tire guy to tell you that you need an alignment. There is a simple test you can do to see if your toe is correct or not. This is not an absolute check on the alignment. You would need to take it to an alignment shop for that. Anyway, stand in front of your steer tire. You should be looking directly at the side of your coach. Run your hand from the outside to the inside of the top of the tire. Then pull your hand back towards you feeling the tire tread. The tread should be even with no edges going in or out with your hand. My guess is that you will find an edge running your hand in towards the frame or pulling it back towards yourself. Do that on both steer tires. If they are smooth, you generally are ok. If there is an edge you can feel, it needs aligned.
Laserline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 11:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Hi Laserline,
So you are saying that an alignment issue can cause the vibration to occur at 35-40mph speeds?
Thanks,
Ed
Old 04-19-2022, 07:01 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Absolutely! That is a very common complaint from customers who are in need of an alignment.
Laserline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 11:22 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the feedback Laserline. I'll see about getting it scheduled. Thanks again.
Ed
Old 04-25-2022, 07:27 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

We had a lot of vibration at highway speeds in our 2021 View 24D.

We had the front end realigned and also had the tires rebalanced - and that didn't resolve the problem.

What finally fixed it was replacing both of the front tires - and after that, the ride (on good roads) smoothed out.

Our Winnebago service believed one of the front tires was defective and was able to replace the tires under warranty.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 06:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Note that if you accidentally hit a curb or dropped off a curb going in/out of a parking lot, that sometimes you can bend a steel belt in the tire. And then that tire will have a slight wobble that often shows up as vibration at highway speeds.

So, have the tires spin balanced to check. Many shops don't have the equipment to spin balance a large RV tire, but I know that Love's Tire Centers do.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 01:10 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Note that if you accidentally hit a curb or dropped off a curb going in/out of a parking lot, that sometimes you can bend a steel belt in the tire. And then that tire will have a slight wobble that often shows up as vibration at highway speeds.

So, have the tires spin balanced to check. Many shops don't have the equipment to spin balance a large RV tire, but I know that Love's Tire Centers do.
Thanks Jim,
I had the front tires spin balanced at a Commercial Goodyear dealer that is near me in Austin. It took a little time and I watched the guy. Seemed like he did a decent job. It may have helped a little. I've got the RV in for an alignment at the moment. We'll see if that helps. - Ed
Old 05-09-2022, 01:53 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

If the alignment doesn't solve the issue have a truck tire guy check for 'run out' or 'round out' ... one part of the tire can be a little out of round or heavier ... can be an easy fix to remount the tire on the rim and spin balance again. A good indication is a vibration at a fixed speed range and you might actually feel it on one side and not the other (I wasn't that good at feeling it)...

Let us know what results - we all learn ...
Old 05-19-2022, 04:09 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Ever read about tire white and red dots? They are there to assist the person mounting and balancing the tire: http://gtradialtrucktires.com/en/_pd...ation-2012.pdf
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 11:45 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Ever read about tire white and red dots? They are there to assist the person mounting and balancing the tire: http://gtradialtrucktires.com/en/_pd...ation-2012.pdf
Hi Ray,
No, I didn't know about the dots. The tires are about five years old, so I don't know if the dots are still visible, but I'll look.
Thanks,
Ed