Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2016, 09:32 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Via/Reyo vs. View/Navion

Other than the front cap design and $20k difference in price, does anyone know what the difference is between these models? They appear to use the same Sprinter chassis, same engine, same bays/storage, same features, and same interior. What am I missing that would explain the huge difference in price???
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:47 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
Other than the front cap design and $20k difference in price, does anyone know what the difference is between these models? They appear to use the same Sprinter chassis, same engine, same bays/storage, same features, and same interior. What am I missing that would explain the huge difference in price???
I was never serious about buying one, so I never noticed that huge difference. I looked at a Via 24P vs a View 24J. The floor plans are really close, but there are some subtle differences that make me like the 24P a lot more.

Those differences can't explain a $20,000 difference in MSRP
though. Maybe its a secret class A status tax. Guess that's why I don't see many Via.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:16 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
Maybe its a secret class A status tax.
LOL!

I'm looking at the rear twin bed models, so Via/Reyo "T" vs. View/Navion "V", and other than the front cap of the Via/Reyo being like a class A and the View/Navion being a C, I'm at a loss on the $20k difference because the rest of the coach looks identical, right down to the position of the bays, size of bays, etc.

If it really is just a "status" tax because they think they can get that much more by calling it a class A, well, I'm fine with the C.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Might be due to the cost of eliminating the cab portion of the C? I have looked at both, but have not paid that much attention.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 11:26 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Don't you want status, a class A diesel? I've looked at these a few times, and quickly comparing specs don't you get a big increase in basement storage with Reyo (92 vs 43 cu ft), but lose a few inches in headroom.

Like you, I'd keep my $$$ and go C!
Old 03-03-2016, 11:46 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We bought a 2006 WGO View 23J in 2006 and drove it for 8 years and 80K+ miles. It was a great RV but when we retired in 2014 and started taking longer trips, it became a bit cramped.

We looked at the Via/Reyo but never seriously considered them due to the price delta. We decided to go with a 31' WGO Vista Class A gasser. With 2 opposing slides, it has nearly double the interior space.

Like you, we couldn't see the extra value of a Via/Reyo except the Sprinter chassis and MB cachet. After 8 years with a View, we figured we had enough cachet!
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp_Woof View Post
I've looked at these a few times, and quickly comparing specs don't you get a big increase in basement storage with Reyo (92 vs 43 cu ft), but lose a few inches in headroom.
I noticed the cu ft difference, but it seemed a little shady to me....then I noticed a few changes in the View/Navion V for 2016. It looks like they have removed the rear access door (the one on the rear cap of the coach) and put a new interior wall to the left of where the rear door used to be. This really reduces the length of that rear storage compartment! I also see that if you add the driver door to the Via, you lose the storage compartment below the driver-side window. With these differences, I can see the Via having more storage capacity but not 2x as much if you have the driver door.

In summary, I guess what I'm seeing as the major differences are a bit of storage, the big front window in the Via, and that's about it. I'm still not seeing $20k, and I guess the dealers aren't either because discounted I'm seeing the View/Navion around $105k and Via/Reyo around $115k, so the $20k MSRP difference shrinks to around $10k by the time you drive away. I'm still not convinced there's even $10k of difference between them though.....
Old 03-08-2016, 09:54 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

One more question on this. I've been told by a Winnie dealer that the Via/Reyo and View/Navion are based on the same chassis cab. I'm looking at pics of both online and maybe it's just me, but I don't see any way those can be the same cab. Same underlying chassis, sure, but not the same cab. The nose is totally different, A-pillars are different, door areas are different, etc. It also appears that the Via/Reyo front seats are quite a bit higher off the ground (by maybe 2-3 feet!). So....anyone know for certain?
Old 03-09-2016, 03:40 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
One more question on this. I've been told by a Winnie dealer that the Via/Reyo and View/Navion are based on the same chassis cab. I'm looking at pics of both online and maybe it's just me, but I don't see any way those can be the same cab. Same underlying chassis, sure, but not the same cab. The nose is totally different, A-pillars are different, door areas are different, etc. It also appears that the Via/Reyo front seats are quite a bit higher off the ground (by maybe 2-3 feet!). So....anyone know for certain?
Chassis yes, cab no, unless by cab he means dashboard. Salesman is moving his lips again...

Aaron
Old 03-09-2016, 06:11 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Chassis yes, cab no, unless by cab he means dashboard. Salesman is moving his lips again...

Aaron
I would agree.

Next question though is what chassis/cab is WI purchasing from MB for the Via/Reyo then? I can't find anything that looks even close on the mbvan web site......

The reason I care is because I want to see the specs on the cab, specifically stuff like how high the driver/passenger sits vs. the View/Navion. There are none near me to go look at so I'm forced to search for spec sheets, especially since 'dealer speak with forked tongue'.....
Old 03-10-2016, 03:44 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I would agree.

Next question though is what chassis/cab is WI purchasing from MB for the Via/Reyo then? I can't find anything that looks even close on the mbvan web site......

The reason I care is because I want to see the specs on the cab, specifically stuff like how high the driver/passenger sits vs. the View/Navion. There are none near me to go look at so I'm forced to search for spec sheets, especially since 'dealer speak with forked tongue'.....
No clue. I don't recall having ever seen a stripped MB chassis, but that doesn't mean they don't make them. Maybe they buy the cutaway and strip it themselves and that is where the additional cost comes in? I will be out that way later this year and plan on touring the Winnebago plant if possible. The Via/Reyo was on our short list, but we ended up with a Concord 300DS on the E450 chassis instead.

Aaron
Old 03-10-2016, 04:44 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

The Winnebago Via site under the Via/Exterior/Chassis tab lists the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter F50 chassis as base for the Via(/Reyo). It also shows a picture of the chassis.
painterbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 07:27 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
No clue. I don't recall having ever seen a stripped MB chassis, but that doesn't mean they don't make them. Maybe they buy the cutaway and strip it themselves and that is where the additional cost comes in? Aaron
I recently watched a video issued by Winnebago showing how they build a cab for the Via from a stripped chassis with the C pillar in place only... no top, no doors, no windshield, no A pillars. Of course the dashboard and seats are part of the stripped chassis, but they build (or assemble) everything else in house.

I tried to trace that video again to provide the link... with no luck so far

IMO, the cost difference between the Via and the View is justified.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:06 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the info guys.

@painterbill, re. it being the F50, that's the same for the View/Navion and the Via/Reyo.

@wahoonc/@tricolor, I think you're right and they must be stripping the cab off of the cutaway and then putting their own cab on. I'll look for that video because that would be really interesting to see. And I agree, if they're building the cab themselves (the exterior....the interior obviously stays the same), then that's where much/all of the extra $20k in MSRP vs. the View/Navion comes from.

So....getting back to my reason for wanting to figure this out, that says things like the seating position, etc., is the same for all of them, but the Via/Reyo will have more room between the seat and the window for things like the little shelf, storage bin, etc. since the new cab is wider.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:33 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Just a side note, the VIA/ REO does not get seat belts for driver/ passenger.

I test drove a VIA, and found the drivers position somewhat awkward and the A pillar and side window frame distracting. Perhaps because I am used to the more typical vertical A pillars in larger class A's.

Obviously the European builders have been doing this for a long time, but seldom (if ever) use slide outs.

I recently sold my Vista 30w and I am looking at some of the smaller options.

Considering the new design 2017 View 24g.(1) 2017 Winnebago View 24 G interesting space... - RV Education 101

Dave
Shuffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:40 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffster View Post
Just a side note, the VIA/ REO does not get seat belts for driver/ passenger.
No seat Belts? Find it a bit difficult to believe unless you mean there isn't a shoulder strap.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:04 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Senior moment!

I meant to say air bags.

Dave
Shuffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:57 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Big problem if choosing between the two is safety, View/Navion have the built in safety design from Mercedes. The Via/Rio remove that safety by removing the cab. The price difference I suspect is a question of marketing Class A versus Class C, and personal preference.
S Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote