Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-08-2018, 04:39 PM   #1
Let's kill some bugs!

Vent Fan hitting screen

This vent design with fan has been around 20+yrs, and they still haven't fixed the problem of the fan rubbing the screen when it gets old or warped from the sun. My 1999 Fleetwood used this same vent and I had the same problem. When the fan runs it sucks the vent into the fan blades. Many owners simply buy a better vent design and replace it, but mine is brand new so I decided to fix the problem, something the manufacturer should have fixed decades ago.

I sawed off a piece of 1/2" schedule 40 PVC pipe about .4" long, then glued it to the top of the screen with silicon glue, around the shaft that opens the vent. The PVC spacer is enough to hold the screen away from the fan so it won't rub when running.

You have to remove both outer and inner trim pieces, along with the crank handle, total of 7 screws. The hardest part is putting back the screws for the outer trim, screws that are about 3" long. Takes some patience to figure out the secret to finding the bracket screw holes, hidden behind the trim piece.

Hope this helps someone with their annoying fan rubbing the screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PVC spacer.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	503.0 KB
ID:	170661   Click image for larger version

Name:	PVC2 spacer.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	354.2 KB
ID:	170662  

Click image for larger version

Name:	PVC3 spacer.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	170663  
John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:12 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I like it! A slap your forehead fix!

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:45 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

You are my kind of guy! Going through a new RV to see what needs to be fixed. Look like a good fix. We just traded in a 2017 model Thor to replace it with a 2015 as it became obvious there were just too many built-in faults for me to ever find and fix them . The wiring and plumbing looked like somebody stood back and just threw it in so that there were so many pinching and rubbing points that I did not want to deal with it any more.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan, scr, vent