Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2005, 03:44 PM   #1

We have a 2004 40AD Vectra. On our last outing we discovered that our turn signals were not flashing when we used them. The light just stays on, but does not flash. The hazard lights flash okay, but we can't find the flash relay for the signals. Would having a bad relay be the reason they don't flash or could it be something else? We were not towing, so I don't know what would have happened if we had the toad attached. Thanks for any suggestions.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 03:44 PM   #2

We have a 2004 40AD Vectra. On our last outing we discovered that our turn signals were not flashing when we used them. The light just stays on, but does not flash. The hazard lights flash okay, but we can't find the flash relay for the signals. Would having a bad relay be the reason they don't flash or could it be something else? We were not towing, so I don't know what would have happened if we had the toad attached. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:51 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The light just stays on, but does not flash. The hazard lights flash okay, but we can't find the flash relay for the signals. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe your 4 way hazard lights are different than your turn signals on that coach. And as for the "light just stays on", I presume you mean dash indicator for turn signals. I would first look for bad lightbulbs; check 'em with a continuity tester or replace with a known good bulb.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:25 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I believe the turn signal function is part of the 'MMC' (or whatever they call it) - the electronics module that your smart wheel interfaces with.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 03:37 AM   #5

John,

Thanks for your reply, but could you tell me where this "thing" is located. Is it under the dash or outside on the drivers side where all the fuses are? Is this something that we can replace ourself or do we have to take it in for a fix? I hate to drive anywhere too far without turnsignals so if we can fix it ourself that would be great.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:35 AM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

I'd thionk bad bulb,but maybe call Snyder's and talk to Dan?
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 05:03 PM   #7

A while back I posted a question about the turn signals on our Vectra were not flashing. We needed to get this problem fixed before we could drive any distance (for obvious reasons). I finally called Winnebagos customer service line and spoke to someone named Steve. He told me (after being on hold for some time while he researched the location) that I was going to have to replace the "silver can" flasher relay that was located under the front end hood......WRONG! Fortunately, we have a great and very knowledgeable service tech near by our home and he said bring it in and I'll find it. Within 20 min. he had located the problem! Number 1. The flasher relay is NOT where Steve said it was. Number 2. It is not a silver can, but an electrical rather different item all together. It was located on the drivers side (outside) door where all the fuses are. It was inside the fuse panel and it was an electrical circuit board that had shorted out because water had gotten into the panel. Our friend was able to clean it and swapped it out with the four way flasher board until he could order a replacement. I can't understand why Winnebago didn't know the location of this item, and they also told me I could just replace it with one I could buy at an automotive store. This could not have been done. We are now in the process of requesting that Winnebago reimburse us for the part and labor. Apparently Winnebago will not authorize any independent tech to do warrenty work on any of their coaches. The independents can do warrenty work on items in your coach such as the fridge, awning, and any item that is not a Winnebago product. If it is a Winnebago chassy item they tell you to take it to the nearest dealer. Well, I don't know about you, but we did not want to drive more than a few miles around here without turn signals and our dealer is 150 miles from our house. I think if you have a certified tech that can do work on RV's that Winnebago should allow the owners to use them. We have very few dealers in our area, and I am sure you have all heard that, "if you didn't buy your coach here, you are at the bottom of the list for service". Just because these guys don't sell RV's they should still be allowed to do warrenty work on our coach. We are working on this problem through our state president and area reps. Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:27 PM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

Glenda,not sure why your dealer is 150 miles away....I've bought two motor homes now from Snyders here in Virginia Beach and even know folks that take their motor home there that they DIDN'T buy there and they are happy...

Not everyone likes every dealer,maybe you've had a bad experience there....I will say that the former service manager has gone and Dan has been promoted to service manager from within.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 06:47 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Your problem is with "Freightliner" there is a in-line diode in the "Smart wheel" down near the floor board. It is covered under warranty. I had the same problem. Winniebago dealers worked on it for days and gave up. Ron
texastimbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 07:05 AM   #10

Thanks Tex. We called Freightliner first and they said it was an item installed by Winnebago and they couldn't help me. However, our very smart service tech (we should keep him on retainer!) found it right away. Now I know these guys like to play "pass the buck" so we aren't surprised with the responce we got since Winnebago told me to call Frieghtliner too. Bottom line is we got it fixed and now we have turn signals again. My concern is the miss information I got from Winnebago. If we weren't lucky to have the service tech nearby that diagnosed and fixed the problem, we would probably still be looking for a "silver can" relay flasher. We have learned since owning an RV that it is always a learning experience and sometimes frustrating...but we still love it.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:22 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

And here we are 5 years later. I'm in Twin Falls, ID on a dog show circuit. Winnie Vectra 40AD. NO turn signals, emergency flashers work fine. I opened the panel near the left front wheel (where you program the keyless door entry) and there are two Freightliner flashers (black plastic "cans"). I swapped them and same condition, so it has to be up stream of the flashers.

Can someone please tell me where to look for the component under the floorboard or where ever it is that needs to be replaced? I saw reference to the MMC or whatever. Any help appreciated as we are leaving here on Wed and heading into Montana away from any Freightliner locations for 3 weeks.