Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2006, 03:29 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I really love my winnie and after having it now for a year with relatively little or no trouble I certainly wouldn't hesitate buying another.

My best friend had to sell his MH about 3 years ago and has recently asked me if I would consider selling my 05 Journey. He knows I am a bit compulsive in taking care of my "toys".

I am considering it and always narrowed my choices for the next coach to a Vectra 40' with king bed or an Allegro Bus. Next year the DW and I are heading out west after we close our motel and staying on the road for 3-4 months so the extra size and king bed sound really good. Any comments or suggestions from you Vectra folks....things I simply must have on the options list...how is the liveability, storage, ect....

Since my friend won't be ready to buy till fall, I would probably order an '07 or look for a deal on an '06 at the end of the year. BTW, The allegro is also tempting me because of Tiffin's reputation for service also. I love the 42QDP but that is about 60-70K more than a loaded vectra.....
jtharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 03:29 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I really love my winnie and after having it now for a year with relatively little or no trouble I certainly wouldn't hesitate buying another.

My best friend had to sell his MH about 3 years ago and has recently asked me if I would consider selling my 05 Journey. He knows I am a bit compulsive in taking care of my "toys".

I am considering it and always narrowed my choices for the next coach to a Vectra 40' with king bed or an Allegro Bus. Next year the DW and I are heading out west after we close our motel and staying on the road for 3-4 months so the extra size and king bed sound really good. Any comments or suggestions from you Vectra folks....things I simply must have on the options list...how is the liveability, storage, ect....

Since my friend won't be ready to buy till fall, I would probably order an '07 or look for a deal on an '06 at the end of the year. BTW, The allegro is also tempting me because of Tiffin's reputation for service also. I love the 42QDP but that is about 60-70K more than a loaded vectra.....
Old 02-26-2006, 04:06 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Jim,

We just got back from Red Bay. We love the 40QDP, need that model to get night stands w/king bed. We believe the Bus is the best value out there!

03 Jeep Liberty
Charles_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 04:25 AM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

While I know Bob Tiffin makes a very nice coach, I am extremely happy with my 2006 Vectra 40KD.
The "KD" floorplan with the opposing front slides and the tv over the dash "fits" our lifestyle.
The Independent Front Suspension,standard on the Vectra 40 footers and an option on the Allegro Bus 40 footers drives like a dream.
The "StoreMore" slideout storage alleviates the "need" to crawl under the slide to get to your storage compartment.
The one piece windshield available in the Allegro Bus is a "late year" add to the Itasca side and I suspect will be available for 2007,if some fashion.
My "personal" thoughts are that,while the one piece certainly does away with the center bar,it now means a hefty check to replace one glass....The center bar isn't that big of a deal breaker to me.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 10:12 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Bob,

I agree with your comments on IFS, would not even consider ordering the Bus without it. The QDP has four slides, 2 in the living area and 2 in the bedroom. I like the Stormore on our Adventurer, but it does cut down on the amount of storage. The "Barn Doors" on the Bus keep you from having to duck under.

03 Jeep Liberty
Charles_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 11:11 AM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

Jim,I opted for most all of options on my Vectra....It's a lot easier telling you what I "didn't" get!!
I didn't want the residential looking ceiling fans,felt the Fantastic Vents would do just fine.
I got the leather J on one side and a cloth sleeper on the other...
I picked the KingDome in-motion dome...I have 9 year old daughter....nuff said!
Didn't pick dishwasher...that's my job!
Didn't want the "all in one" CB
Didn't do the gas range....We convect!!
Didn't want roof spotlight...
Didn't do compartment storage box,but DID get the slideout fridge/freezer...
DID do 20" tv/dvd in compartment....they use a flat screen but NOT LCD...why???
DID do GPS NAV with two screens....swivel screen for passenger/copilot and the second feed is on your backup monitor.
DID Triptek,but there are others ala John Canfield that use laptop based diagnostics with jotto desk...
DID the side camera system....LOVE IT!!
(Although the first time you hit turn signal prepare for HEART ATTACK because you lost that car that was behind you!!!
DID the Sleep Number bed....old guy,OLDER back...nuff said!
DID central vac....LOVE IT!
DID Splendide washer/dryer combo....works good.
DID the hose reel and the electric reel....(are you thinking not to??)

Just went down my option sheet,might have missed something,please ask!!
Old 02-26-2006, 11:45 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Absolutely beutiful coach rebel, congrats! I've been following your posts and can tell that you have been happy with the Vectra. Done any long trips yet? Do you have the king bed?

For me, the king bed is a must, leather everywhere, stainless package. The DW and I don't see a need for the dishwasher either nor the washer and dryer. I guess we're just used to the campground facilities. Didn't do the sattelite on my Journey because my last one didn't seem to work very well while on the road. Maybe the technology has changed in the last few years.

I know Tiffin has a great reputation but based on my Journey, I couldn't be happier with Winnebago, Freightliner and my Dealer. That in and of itself is really making me lean toward another Winnebago.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:00 PM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

Jim,we went with the queen bed...

We've not started traveling yet,but I'm headed to Florida the middle of April and then the fun begins....Gaffney SC to the Freightliner factory in May,even an iRV2 get together the 2nd,3rd and 4th of June.....Staunton iRV2 forum
Disney and Myrtle Beach middle of June,then headed up and across the U.S. for the end of June and July.

Not sure which satelite dome you had, but we'd recommend the Kingdome....We had the Wineguard MovinView in the 2004 Journey and upgraded it to the Kingdome after issues...
Old 02-26-2006, 01:20 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Hope the new facility will be open for you in Gaffney. The "campiing" experience in the back lot of the old plant left much to be desired. Bring your ear-plugs if you stay there because the fork trucks and TT move all night long. Get there early too or you may not get a hook-up at all. I parked in the middle of the lot.

The people and service though where top notch. Very friendly and very concerned about your experience at thier facility.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:34 PM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

Jim, we'll be staying at Pine Cone Campground for the two day chassis school....Not sure when the new service center will open.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:42 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

At first glance the Storemore compartments seem like a great idea. But, all the weight that is stored in those compartments hangs on your slide. You also lose a lot of storage space and pass throughs. I have had problems parking because of site utilities interferring with my Storemore slide out doors.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 03:06 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I stayed at Pine Cone the day after service. It's a good time to test out that self leveling system...........lol
Old 02-26-2006, 04:01 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
At first glance the Storemore compartments seem like a great idea. But, all the weight that is stored in those compartments hangs on your slide. You also lose a lot of storage space and pass throughs. I have had problems parking because of site utilities interferring with my Storemore slide out doors. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would agree...Storemore does add some convenience but I am not sure it would be a high priority in my next coach decision. I also wonder about the long term effect of the extra weight on the slide...I deliberately store lighter items in those compartments. Also, with a couple of full pass through compartments in my old '97 Adventurer 32', I had more basement storage than I do in this 36' DP. Of course TruAir has something to do with that.

If I was retired and going to spend more time in the rig and storage needs were greater, I believe I would look for a coach with at least one or two big pass through compartments.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 04:04 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Jim: One consideration they've probably corrected in teh new models was that the in-motion (KVH) dish system was OK with Directv but really sucks when trying to use it with DISHTv. The OEM model that came with our coach did not have, and was not upgradeable to, dual LNB and inasmuch as DISH uses two satellites, was a real inconvenience. Have fun building your dream on wheels! A builder friend of our says they've built their dream home......3 times!

& Raleigh the Cavalier Wonder Dog Navigator
JanBCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 06:22 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

The Allegro Bus hands down! The raised rail system gives you more storage, you could almost make a in-law apartment out of it. The floor plan is the best and the fit and finish is far more superior then the Winnebago. Take the time and look at them both, I mean LOOK at them. The biggest mistake you can make is making a decision based on someones opinion.
Go with what you want and need!
Take your time like we did and look! My wife even crawled into the basement storage in the Bus and looked up at the professional installation and use of plexiglass incasements over the wiring, etc.
We looked at all the Vectra, Horizon and the Bus for 2 months off and on and for extra money for the Bus we feel it is well worth it and it will be our next Coach in 1 or 2 years. For now the Adventurer has served us very well and I'm sure will in the future.
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 04:41 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The Allegro Bus hands down! The raised rail system gives you more storage, you could almost make a in-law apartment out of it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting comment since the Vectra and the Allegro Bus use the same Freightliner chassis.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:51 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Winnie uses the "Evolution" chassis which is not a stacked or raised rail chassis. The chassis rails run through the storage area, with storage under and above the chassis rails.

2010 View 24K
warrenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 07:02 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Hi Warren;

The Evalution chassis is the Freightliner XC-series motorhome chassis. The Allegro Bus uses the same IFS XC chassis with a few slight variations.

See: http://www.freightlinerchassis.com/m..._xcoems&nav=xc

We're still here at Quail Roost and will be until April 1. My buddy had a 2005 Horizon and traded it on a 2006 Allegro Bus. He is currently over near Leesburg and he'll be here at Quail Roost the middle of March for 2 weeks. Stop over then and we can take a look at the chassis on his Allegro. Both his Horizon and Allegro have the 400 Cummins.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:29 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Sorry But I agree with Warren. There is no way they are the same. Maybe the slight variation is the raised rail/different frame. It has to be at least 6 inches higher in the basement storage then both the Winnie Products. It also has 2 side open bay doors that that have clear unobstructive pass through storage.
The Winnebago is the Evolution and the Bus is NOT I have the 2006 specs right in front of me for both. The Bus however is a Raised Rail Frightliner Chassis and standard 400 Cummins Here at La Mesa RV they have both coaches I crawled over into and under every one of them and the basement storage is RAISED RAIL in the A/Bus
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 05:00 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

After 1 year of small problems that mostly were taken care of by going back to the factory twice because I knew they would take care of it the first time, we are happy with the overall product. There is always something nicer, but $ for $ its hard to beat Winnebago in there upper lines. The only items we did not purchase on our rig was the washer/dryer, central vaccuum and dishwasher. We maxed out everything else they offered.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
kenbt is offline   Reply With Quote