Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-28-2006, 08:12 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

I called Tiffin this morning. I had to ask twice but finally got the correct answer.

Both the Allegro Bus and the Phaeton are built on a rasied rail XC chassis. Tiffin does not raise the rail. Freightliner offers them the raised rail as an XC option.

Seems there is an error in Tiffin's Bus brochure and the women I first asked told me that the Bus was not built on a raised rail and the Phaeton was. I asked her to double check and she then told me both models were built on raised rails.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 02:50 PM   #22
Winnie-Wise

Tom,
Great! I thought I was losing my mind again! LOL
I know the bay doors were wider from top to bottom and you didn't have to bend that much to get things out even under the slides, nice feature. It made the storage area very user friendly. Because of the space in the A/Bus basement I wouldn't consider the store-more, anymore.
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 03:25 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

The 2006 Bus has side opening basement doors. I like them but they may have their disadvantages.

Since doors are usually wider than high more room would be required to open the door.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 03:59 PM   #24
Administrator Emeritus

Can we slide this a little more toward discussing the "Winnebago" in the Winnebago Owner's Forum guys?
A good debate is healthy,but let's not forget our sponsor...

A true "brand versus brand" debate might be better suited in the MH-General forum me thinks..
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 06:20 PM   #25
Winnie-Wise

Bob,
Didn't ask the question Vectra or Allegro Bus.
I think we all need to get the right information so we all can make an informed decision.
You represented the Winnebago Vectra very well with your replies to the same Post. I didn't know we that own winnebago's were supposed to be just pro Winnebago when asked a question.
If that was the case maybe you shouldn't have replied and moved the discussion to the MH-General discussion forum before you did.
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 08:46 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Where is Ghost? You've mentioned him and I am not aware of him. Has he given up the forum?

Nick

ps: I like the discussions comparing Winnebago to outer rigs as I usually feel much better about my choice
Old 03-03-2006, 08:59 AM   #27
Administrator Emeritus

Ghost has been "inactive" from around May 2005...But who knows,you know those Ghosts....he may pop up at any time!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 10:00 AM   #28
Winnebago Owner

We looked and looked before we upgraded in 2004.

While a few other manufactures may have piqued our interest, we still felt that dollar for dollar the Winnie/Itasca brand was a better value. The engineering and facilities at the factory were far superior than the many other coach facilities we visited. It was nice to know that Winnie could make any replacement part twenty years after you purchased your coach.

We also love the large fresh water tank drain, which works great when rinsing out your old fresh water.

As for the side opening doors: I still belive that they are not the best design. If you have a slide out tray in your storage bay you can not easily get to the part of the slide tray that is next to the door, it is an obstical that you will have to either continually lift things over, or stretch across the tray to reach for items stored on that side of the slide out tray. To me neither is a great option. Also the doors seem to be a lot wider and therefore require more area around the coach to operate. I also believe that the forces in volved driving down the road will eventually lead to hinge and or latch failure. My two cents.

Good luck in your decision!

Cheers!

2004 Horizon 40AD
BucknJeff is offline   Reply With Quote