Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2009, 05:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Vectra on a diet

On our way to the Ventura Dog Show we stopped at the Flying J on I-10 in Phoenix and used their scale to weigh each wheel. They charged us $7 for about 20 minutes of time on their scale. Our total coach weight was 31,020 lbs. We had full fuel, water, food and dogs. According to my owner's manual the GVWR should be no more than 32,000 lbs. so we are close to limit on this one.

Here are what the corners weighed:

RF - 6,060
LF - 5,960

RR - 9,869
LR - 9,160

There is a minor error in the total of the corners vs when we weighed in whole rig. No idea why...

What intrigues me is why there would be a 700 lbs difference between the right and left rear weights. Any ideas?

Of course, we tow a 3,500 lb Jeep, so our GCWR of about 35,000 lbs is well within the 42,000 lbs rating for the Vectra.

Would you adjust the air pressure higher on the right rear for the 700 pound difference?
Old 07-08-2009, 07:06 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Never run different pressures from side to side. Just look up the correct pressure for the heavy side, add a little for safety and run those pressures on both rear tandems.

Pete
PeteB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have done this many many times with the big rigs. Wind will change some weights.

https://irv2.com/photopost/data/2/1029VAC_2004_4_139-thumb.jpg
Tcloud7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:24 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I would think leverage would be the difference. Were your wheel in exactly the same spot i.e. same distance from the edge of the scale.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:39 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Woo hoo
Your weights are so close. I would not question the difference but be happy you are so close in tolerence.
Perhaps the AC unit on the right side might make up a few pounds.
No NO No, adjust the rear, both tires for the highest weight, keep both sides of the rear axle tires the same.
You are so lucky to have such a well balanced motorhome.
Whippets are such a great animal. I bet you get great pleasure. I just love my Cavalier.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:06 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
What intrigues me is why there would be a 700 lbs difference between the right and left rear weights. Any ideas?
My right rear is heavier than the left, and left front heavier than the right. I keep that fact in mind when I load cargo. Here are some possible reasons that may relate to your heavy corners.
- My Right rear is location of the ac/heat pump AND the batteries AND the bedroom slide
- If you are hauling a full tank of fresh water, I wonder if the tank is off center to the right rear?
- My Left front is location of large galley/lounge slide
Old 07-09-2009, 08:48 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Our right rear is also heavier; but it makes sense when you consider the batteries, a/c, and washer/dryer are all on that side.

Our blog
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 12:45 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick60 View Post
I would think leverage would be the difference. Were your wheel in exactly the same spot i.e. same distance from the edge of the scale.
I tried to eyeball it and get it centered, but I'm sure I was off a couple inches. I guess that could account for the difference. Ideally, the way to do this on a segmented scale that weighs each tire on each axle. The Flying J scale did each axle. I understand some of the scales at highway weigh stations are segmented, but they only handle commercial trucks for tax purposes.