Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2005, 11:47 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

I have been curious about the sound system in the Vectra/Horizon. The marketing brochure calls it "QSurround" amplified sound whatever that is.

The curiousity surfaced when I was looking over the 40AD wiring diagrams and noticed that the amplifier was only driven by left/right audio from the DVD/VHS player or whatever.

At my house with digital cable, I only get 5.1 Dolby Digital in the digital channels (> chan 99) and via the digital audio output of the cable box to the digital in of the amplifier. Or with the DVD player I use the optical output for 5.1 audio. I don't think Dolby Digital 5.1 uses left/right audio like the coach is wired.

Once you hear 5.1 surround sound, nothing else will satisfy! I'm wondering if I need to get an amp/receiver that is 5.1 compatable and junk the Winny amplifier.

Thanks again - you all are a great bunch!

PS: Monday is "O" day - we are ordering our Horizon - HOORAY!

John

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 11:47 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have been curious about the sound system in the Vectra/Horizon. The marketing brochure calls it "QSurround" amplified sound whatever that is.

The curiousity surfaced when I was looking over the 40AD wiring diagrams and noticed that the amplifier was only driven by left/right audio from the DVD/VHS player or whatever.

At my house with digital cable, I only get 5.1 Dolby Digital in the digital channels (> chan 99) and via the digital audio output of the cable box to the digital in of the amplifier. Or with the DVD player I use the optical output for 5.1 audio. I don't think Dolby Digital 5.1 uses left/right audio like the coach is wired.

Once you hear 5.1 surround sound, nothing else will satisfy! I'm wondering if I need to get an amp/receiver that is 5.1 compatable and junk the Winny amplifier.

Thanks again - you all are a great bunch!

PS: Monday is "O" day - we are ordering our Horizon - HOORAY!

John

Old 03-11-2005, 12:08 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

John HI, With your experiance I would install my own DVD surround sys. Thats what I did in a Newmar MA, an moved same sys into my new KS. If you could get Mfg to run wires for rear spk's may help you. I could run mine thru cabinets pass. side an fish wires from micro across ceiling. I have a Sony sys DVD, FM for $300 at Sams, $600 at Best Buy. Front spk's fish up thru a channels to ceiling, center sits oN dash, sub-w behind pass seat, "sounds great". I built a shelf on top of the dog house that holds the amp., couldn't put in cabinet like in MA MH. Also used rf conv from Radio Shack into tv from ant inputs. How about a nice Bose sys. Have some fun.---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

John,
You certainly have been doing your homework on this purchase. Good for you. You are correct on the "Q Surround" system that is used in the Horizons and Vectras. IMO it is NOT a true 5.1 system but takes a two channel output from a standard stereo TV and then applies it's own decoding to synthesize Dolby 5.1. I have the system in my 39QD and if I was to order a new unit, I don't know if I would want to pay the premium for it. The big drawback to not ordering is that you will not have the wiring required to support the needed seperation for your own 5.1 system. Wonder if you can get the coach wired for speakers and leave out the MTS system. Might be worth asking. To bottom line it, it does NOT sound as good as a true Dolby 5.1 system and never will. Of course you must keep in mind that if you do not order the system, you will probably miss the pleasure of the buzzing in the speakers every time you fire up the Water Heater or if you change out the water pump, every time you run the water. These added features are hard to give up I know but if you enjoy your Dolby 5.1 at home, I fear you will be disappointed with the MTS system. Here is a link to the system.

[URL=http://riverparkinc.com/catalog/products/mts%20qsurround.html]

Congratulations on ordering your Horizon on Monday. We absolutely love ours and after owning a Safari product previously, we are totally satisfied with the Winnebago platform and the company in general. (Apples and Oranges)You have already become a valuable asset on this forum even before you bought the new coach.

03 Horizon 39QD
Rick Buddrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:13 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Sorry about that link.....

Try this one.......

http://riverparkinc.com/catalog/prod...qsurround.html

03 Horizon 39QD
Rick Buddrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:42 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Hey 007 and Rick,

The Horizon comes standard with the "QSurround" so I can't choose to drop it easily. I found out Winny does NOT like to make any special concessions in an ordered coach (I wanted a pure sine-wave inverter and auto gen start). They just said NO!

Rick - thanks for the link. The description of the system from Riverpark is sufficently nebulous so you might think you are really getting 5.1 Dolby - they sort of 'dance' around the point.

Gosh - it appears that I have another project lined up already :-) I am replacing the stock inverter for the Xantrex RS2000, guess I will redo the entertainment system while I'm in the mood.

Thanks for the kind remarks about my contributing to the forum - it is my pleasure. The help on the forum has been absolutely invaluable to me in my research - I am delighted to give back what little I can.

Old 03-15-2005, 10:36 AM   #7

Hey John,

I did a report on this system some time back. If you can find it, it will explain the system completely. If you can't find it, e-mail me and I'll e-mail you a copy form my file.

Tomcat F15
Old 03-15-2005, 11:10 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Hey Tomcat,

Great article - just read it! The most complete (actually the ONLY) description of QSurround I have found! Yesterday when we were messing around in a 40AD coach at Lazydays, it was kind of rainy and there weren't many "lookers' coming in and out of the coach, so we fired up the radio and TV for the first time.

I must say the sound was far better than I imagined it would be. The real test will be a DVD movie with 5.1 Dolby Digital. If it sounds halfway decent, we will probablty just keep the stock sound system. (Although it will be tempting to replace the speakers for Bose)

I would not be a good neighbor in an RV park if I brought along my 100W per channel Sony amp and the 75 watt subwoofer

John

Old 03-15-2005, 12:34 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Hey John,
Your neighbors wouldn't hear sys if you keep the windows an door shut. Kids play it all the time an we sit outside barely hear a thing, coach has good sound proofing, I'am hard of hearing an it hasn't rattle the coach yet, when I play it. ---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote