Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2019, 06:52 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Vectra basement air

Have 1995 Vectra with basement air. Any recommendations for somebody to service or replace in the Dallas or East Texas area? Thanks
Ttowntoehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:48 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

The basement air should be serviceable by any refrigeration shop.

There's a procedure on IR2.com for removing the unit. Here's the url:

http://www.rvforum.net/miscfiles/Bas...attredirects=0

Bruce
PennBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 04:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Excellent info here: https://sites.google.com/site/billmarie2008/
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 04:46 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBruce View Post
The basement air should be serviceable by any refrigeration shop.

There's a procedure on IR2.com for removing the unit. Here's the url:

http://www.rvforum.net/miscfiles/Bas...attredirects=0

Bruce
The refrigeration shop MAY work on it if you remove it and bring it to them. Don't expect them to remove it from the RV.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 02:29 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

https://www.airxcel.com/coleman-mach...20ca&radius=10
BobC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:17 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I followed Duner's excellent write up just a couple weeks ago...however, mine is different enough ('02 Winnie Journey DL) that I did my own write up:

Coleman Mach 6535a Service

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 07:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttowntoehead View Post
Have 1995 Vectra with basement air. Any recommendations for somebody to service or replace in the Dallas or East Texas area? Thanks
I replaced my unit in 2016, and would be willing to assist you in replacing yours. I am near Tyler. I had mine serviced at Lake Fork RV North of Alba once. They replaced a compressor but didn't get it charged well … I got a retired ac tech friend to top off the charge. I found a number of supposed service places in East TX on the RVP website, but none checked out as actually servicing the basements units.

Tyler RV quoted me a price on a new one minus labor, but I got one online from DyersRVOnline for several hundred less plus free shipping. I arrived within the week after I ordered it.

There are replacements units available for some models, and not for others. You need to get your model number and check with RVP to see if yours has a current replacement unit.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:38 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Is anyone really happy with their basement a/c, I am not with mine, I have added a 15k roof top and hope to see some improvement. Unit has been worked on several times, new compressors, start up caps, blower motors and recharges. Still a very weak system at best. Almost ready to remove it and convert it to a storage cabinet.
Kernbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:26 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernbob View Post
Is anyone really happy with their basement a/c, I am not with mine, I have added a 15k roof top and hope to see some improvement. Unit has been worked on several times, new compressors, start up caps, blower motors and recharges. Still a very weak system at best. Almost ready to remove it and convert it to a storage cabinet.
Well Kernbob,
If you were to look up many of the past basement air threads, you'd find that approximately 98% of the folks that have them, LOVE THEM. And that includes us in our '04 Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP. It's not a freezer in that coach when we're running ours but, it does get the coach cool enough that we're comfortable, even in relatively higher, 98-100 degree temps. One of the things that must be checked into is, your rear ducting. In the picture(s) below, you'll just how your ducting is routed.

Some on here and other RV forums have done investigations and found some separated rear ducting which, looses a lot of your cooling capacity. In some cases, you can remove the left rear tail light and use a flash light and maybe a mirror to check the condition of the ducting.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M-H repair 7.jpg
Views:	3854
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	171497   Click image for larger version

Name:	M-H repair 9.jpg
Views:	3401
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	171498  

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:32 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Scott
Thank you for the pictures, I am in the process of taking the system apart to see what is going on, the air temp coming out the roof vents is almost the same as outdoor temp, 100 outside about 96 inside. I have felt the temp of the waste water coming out of the unit and it seems cold. I found a cover and the passenger side rear near the radiator, I am hoping that when I remove it I will be able to see more.
Bob
Old 04-28-2019, 11:55 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Some on here and other RV forums have done investigations and found some separated rear ducting
I have had to r&r the elbow where the duct turns upward from the unit probably 3 times over the years ... re-tape, etc. We like our unit. It was getting pretty troublesome after 13 years and 100k miles ... primary reason I replaced it in 2016. I had spent enough in the previous 3 years to buy a new one & it was broke again so out it went.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:54 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

I finished the maintenance on my Coleman heat pump just a couple weeks ago and it's sooooo quiet now (link above). What I did was to oil the bearings in the motors, replace the pillow block bushings with ball bearings, and replaced all the motor and compressor caps. I've always liked the heat pump after having also owned a RV with roof mounted A/C's, and the heat pump performs much better. Even in 100F temps. IMO.

I removed the fiberglass rear lower fender/cover to gain access to the vent elbow so I could tape it up and that gave me a good look at the upper parts of the vent tube...and in my case it looked good. If it was installed well to begin with, the protection that comes from the end cap should keep it in good condition. But as mentioned, some owners have found gaps in the sealing up there.

The vent elbow did need some care...over time the Venture tape they used at the factory had begun to peel off and lose it's adhesive qualities, largely due to being so close to the road and the inevitable road debris and rain water. Now in my case, the elbow wasn't leaking yet but I could tell it was only a matter of time.

I suggest that you check that elbow for leaks right off as that would be a weak spot and might be where you are loosing cool air.

Old 05-05-2019, 12:38 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Although I have some issues to deal with on my basement air (after all, it's 17 years old), but having owned roof tops, I'll take the basement air/heat pump any day.
Old 05-05-2019, 02:40 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Jim_HiTek

Great Job and Nice write up. I will stick it in my library next to Duners. When we get home from TX, I will R&R mine for a good PM session.

Thanks
Norm
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 03:20 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
Jim_HiTek

Great Job and Nice write up. I will stick it in my library next to Duners. When we get home from TX, I will R&R mine for a good PM session.

Thanks
Norm
Thank you very much, Norm. Hope the work goes well. BTW, if you haven't ordered your parts yet, I have a brand new set of pillow block ball bearings for sale at $15 each. I over bought thinking I needed four.

For any lurkers, if you wait too long to do maintenance on your Coleman, it'll be much more expensive and difficult. Naturally, spring or fall is the best time to do it.

Old 05-06-2019, 03:41 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Update on a/c

Thanks to all for the info, I know this it the part of the main thread, sorry. After removing the tape around the elbow at the unit I measured 40° air temp coming out of the unit, confirms unit is working, inside air at vent over table area, middle of rig, was about 60°. This was on a mild day about 73°. I removed the cover plate over the squirrel cage and found that the foam was about shot, looks like the blower could draw air around it, ie: 110 outside air, and mix it with the cold air from unit. I replaced all of the foam and taped up all of the joints and the cover plate. I think part of the problem is that the roof of the RV gets so dang hot, heats the ducts in the ceiling, the the a/c can't keep up. We have installed a 15k unit on top to try and help. We will be able to see how good the whole thing works at the end of June, going to Havasu Az where the day time temp is "hotter than the surface of the sun" and the night temp is about 5° cooler😁, I will update when get there. On a side note dash a/c just quit about a week ago, might be a warm drive.......😥.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:14 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Thank you very much, Norm. Hope the work goes well. BTW, if you haven't ordered your parts yet, I have a brand new set of pillow block ball bearings for sale at $15 each. I over bought thinking I needed four.

For any lurkers, if you wait too long to do maintenance on your Coleman, it'll be much more expensive and difficult. Naturally, spring or fall is the best time to do it.
Good advice, mine is long overdue. I've had it since Nov 2017 and have done some but haven't pulled it out. Who knows how long it's been since anything has been done to it.

My compressor #2 tries to start but doesn't run. I replaced the capacitors but no improvement. I'm at home and only have 20A service and have to replace my generator transfer switch so I think it may be a power management issue.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:55 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Coleman air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
I followed Duner's excellent write up just a couple weeks ago...however, mine is different enough ('02 Winnie Journey DL) that I did my own write up:

Coleman Mach 6535a Service
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knows what refrigerant is used on these older units, r22?
Old 05-07-2019, 06:04 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernbob View Post
I have not removed mine (yet) but did install a 15K with heat pump on the roof when I couldn't get anyone to work on the basement unit. I ran the power up through the duct work and tunneled over to the vent opening (just foam insulation between the two). I used both circuits to the basement unit and left one dead ended at the bedroom vent so I can add a 13k unit there if I want. Best mod I have made so far, no regrets at all.
workinrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 02:53 AM   #20

Basement Oiling Questions & General Service

If you use your Basement AC 2 months every year, and run it 6 hours/day, how long do you think the oil in the bushing will last? (Best guess.)

What type of oil is best? (3-In-1 or 5W-30 Synthetic motor oil???) Or is 3-In-1 the only oil that will flow into those small oiling lines and saturate the bushing material?

I like the idea of cutting an inspection hole in the top of the squirrel cage, but why not make it 1" in diameter and then insert a plug... with tape over the top? Will this give you enough access so you don't have to disassemble the cage?

I understand that if one capacitor goes out you might as well replace them both... and then keep one for back up.

I don't read much about recharging the basement air unit. Why is this? Is this because the pre-2010 basement air units used R-22?

Taken from another post: Due to regulation changes by the E.P.A, Air conditioners can no longer be manufactured with R-22 as of January 1, 2010. The Coleman Mach air conditioners will be manufactured with R-410A as of January 2010. If your equipment uses R-22, do not be alarmed. R-22 is widely available for repair.
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote