Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2010, 02:40 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Vectra 40AD

Looking at a 2004 Vectra 40AD to maybe purchase. Found one that's in really good shape, low miles and no bad reports from Carfax.

I've always liked Winnebago products, but so far haven't owned one. I get the impression that most Winnie owners are pretty happy with their product and also that Winnebago has really good factory support.

I also heard that owners can go to the Winnebago website and get a lot of good information for their motorhomes. Like diagrams, operational documentation, etc. etc.

Is any, or all of this true?
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 02:49 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Hey Bob... from my perspective after nearly four years with my 07 Ellipse 40FD, it's ALL true. Plumbing and wire diagrams are available on line and their Customer Relations support is great. I've taken our coach to the factory twice and that is a great thing to do.

good luck,

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

We've been very happy with our Vectra. The availability of the plumbing, wiring, and parts info online was a big plus for me.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:08 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Vectra 40AD

Hi Bob:
We own an 06 40AD.....and love it. Purchased it new. We live in the mid-west so we always have taken ours back to Forest City, IA for service. My wife loves the floor plan. Any questions you may have, just ask.
Stephen
vectra400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:23 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks all for responding. We are getting more serious after looking at it again for the second time. No doubt there will be a few more questions I will have. I will most likely be bugging some of you again via this forum.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:47 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I would support your earlier answers. Our current Winnie Tour 40TD has been great for 3 years of fulltime living. Our earlier 2004 Journey worked well also. I have been very happy to have the technical diagrams available and been pleased on the few times I needed to call Customer Support. Factory service has been great on the three times we have used it. Best of luck on your decision.

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:34 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I do have a some questions, if some of you Vectra owners could give me the answers.

1) Is the basement and/or the water bay heated in some way?

2) There's a lug wrench and extension bar in the street side slide out bay. What is this for? I assumed it was for the wheel lug bolts, but it's too small.

3) There is a vacuum pump located in the area just above and to one side of the generator. This puts it under the drivers side dash area. When the engine is running I can hear this pump. It's pretty loud. It apparently is used to control the vacuum operated dash heating/air conditioning controls. Is it always this loud and does it run all the time? Some times it would turn off when I fiddled with the heat/ac controls but then it would turn right back on again with the annoying buzz it makes.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:06 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Bob:

Well, your tag line shows you have a Pace. Our first coach was a 36J gasser and we loved it, especially the floor plan.

1. Basement heat. Welllllllll yes but! It took me just about 1 winter season of camping to learn the "factory" heat, at least for us, just doesn't cut it. When the floor heat is off, there's no heat in the basement area and the "water pump/black/grey area" isn't insulated, at least not much. So here is what I have learned to keep from having "frozen pipes". I use 3 ceramic heaters. I place one in the small compartment where the water heater is. Another in the water pump/sewer area and another on the passenger side basement area. Reason for the last one mentioned, is that it heats all three bays and it keeps our tile floor in the main living area, semi-warm. I've been in Forest City when the temp was a minus 10 with no problems. Here's the trick, with three heaters running drawing 8-10 amps, the coach only has 50 amps total. So I typically run extension cords to these three heaters and plug them in to the 30 amp which is typically on the electrical pole at the CG. That way, the coach has the full 50. We also run two ceramic heaters inside the coach to help with the propane floor heat.
2. Yes, those lug wrenchs and bars sure are shinny, haven't ever had to use them.
3. Vaccum pump----hum---I've not noticed this with our unit.
So, do you only have 3 questions........????

Ps. Some will say they use a light bulb.
vectra400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:07 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I can't speak definitively for your rig, but I would expect that the compartments behind the front wheels that don't come out with the slideouts are heated when the propane furnace is running.

That lug wrench should be the right size for the nuts (once you take off the chrome caps on the nuts).

Take a look at this thread Pump noise under the hood?? for the answer to your air pump noise.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:14 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Bob,
Love ours! It's a KD but same year.

The heat in ours for the water bay is just a duct hanging down. If you look kind of behind the faceplate you might be able to see it.

I assumed the lug wrench was just to take the chrome ones off the wheel covers but never had to use it. Road side assistance is who might use it, not me

No noise from pump I can hear so I don't have an answer for that either.

Is the drive train a Cummins 350 and Allison tranny? They say it is bulletproof but we have only put about 4000 of the 39000 on ours.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote