Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-14-2019, 07:52 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Upgrade issue w/front TV in 2014 Sunstar 30T?

Hi all,
I need to replace the 39" Insignia TV in the buffet dinette to a 4k smart TV; I need 4k so the TV can double as a computer monitor for work. Either a current 40" or a 43" model (in most cases) will fit width-wise.

I've run into real problems with the metal mounting plate that hangs on the motorized lift. It seems every TV manufacturer now has a different VESA mounting config (200x200, 100x100, 200x100, etc.) on their TVs...no standardization at all!

I have no problem drilling new holes in the OEM mounting plate, but that doesn't solve all the problems, as it has, not only a "90 degree fold" about 7" up from the bottom, but also a 4"x4" cutout. I can use a spacer to bring the lower half (below the fold) flush with the upper half for a 200x200 mount, but a 100x100 falls right inside the cutout. And the newer ('18 & '19) Samsung models have their 200x200 mounts much higher than previous models, such that the top mounting holes are only about 3" from the top, which exceeds the height of the mounting bracket! Also, some of the TVs are too deep for the 3.25" deep rectangular opening of the buffet (extended outward a few inches by the mounting hardware), further limiting the available options. It also can't be too high or it will exceed the height of the roller that lifts the dinette hatch as the mount rises. But the main issue is the VESA mounting location vs. the mounting plate.

The only solutions I can think of are modifying 4" corner braces and bolting them at the fold (to extend the mounting surface upward) or having a metal shop fabricate/weld an extension plate to extend the plate/mounting surface above the fold.

Has anyone encountered these issues when replacing their TV, and how did you solve it? (I hope my description is clear)

TIA,
Jim

Tags
upgrade