Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2006, 01:29 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Tom Schaeffers RV in Shoemakersville, PA replaced both upper bearing pads in the big slide in 2 hours. When our windshield was broken, it was discovered that the frame was rusty and a new window could not be reset. Winnebago authorized Beckleys, Thurmont MD to sand and paint the frame and a new window was put in. We discovered that the window was leaking. Well, seems the epoxy would not adhere to the paint on the frame . Fortunately they did not break the new window when they took it out. Sooooooo now the frame has to be resanded and painted and we hope the window will adhere this time. We cancelled one trip in July and are supposed to leave for FL in 11 days, provided we have a MH. Since June, the Sharp M/C went down 2 times, the bearing pads went bad, electric awning finally acted up at a dealer and has a new control, rock thru the windshield which has caused this set back. Hope Winnebago will reimburse the dealer for the new sand and paint as there must have been a miscommunitation there somewhere. We spent more money on gas getting 3 estimates on the window for the ins company, hauling the M/C to an authorized service center and trips to 2 dealers 180 miles apart than we would have on our trip. lol
Old 09-27-2006, 01:29 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Tom Schaeffers RV in Shoemakersville, PA replaced both upper bearing pads in the big slide in 2 hours. When our windshield was broken, it was discovered that the frame was rusty and a new window could not be reset. Winnebago authorized Beckleys, Thurmont MD to sand and paint the frame and a new window was put in. We discovered that the window was leaking. Well, seems the epoxy would not adhere to the paint on the frame . Fortunately they did not break the new window when they took it out. Sooooooo now the frame has to be resanded and painted and we hope the window will adhere this time. We cancelled one trip in July and are supposed to leave for FL in 11 days, provided we have a MH. Since June, the Sharp M/C went down 2 times, the bearing pads went bad, electric awning finally acted up at a dealer and has a new control, rock thru the windshield which has caused this set back. Hope Winnebago will reimburse the dealer for the new sand and paint as there must have been a miscommunitation there somewhere. We spent more money on gas getting 3 estimates on the window for the ins company, hauling the M/C to an authorized service center and trips to 2 dealers 180 miles apart than we would have on our trip. lol
Old 09-27-2006, 01:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Beabop....did Schaffers have to remove the slide to install the plastic bearing pads?..I have 1 chipped pad on the lower rear of the front slide...thanks RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 01:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

this is the third time i have heard of this rust around the windshield...I am heading to forest city plant in October...I will ask around...
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 02:09 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

I am a licensed appraiser in the state of PA and know for a fact that Ins. Companies CANNOT make you get three estimates or two or twenty. This is their way of making YOU save them money by doing the leg work. I'm sure they didn't give you a break on your premium for finding the glass place that suited them.
You find out where you want to get your RV fixed and tell your Ins. Co. who you are going to have do it and let them work with the shop you choose.
I can't stand when insurance companies do that to people.
This also applies to damage other than glass.

2004 Fleetwood Mallard 33Z
RV4FunFixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:45 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

The insurance company was a Thousand Trails campground and they paid me the highest estimate but this windshield has been a mess. Our guides were upper and the slide is just jacked,RL ask Winnebago tec support about yours,the factory has replaced enough guides.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:28 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I am setting in HWH service bay tonight. They are replacing the broken teflon slide guides and did not finish today. The slide is opened part way and proped up then the slide assemblies are removed and put on a bench where the teflon guides are replaced. Then the assembley is re-installed. The guides on the ramp were broken. They say this was caused by Winnebago not installing them properly. The width of the assembly has a tolerance that Winnebago did not follow allowing it to be too wide causing the guides to break. This was a major repair and I would not try to get this fixed at a local dealer.

'04 Itasca Suncruiser 38G, W22 Upgrade Kit, Henderson Trac Bar, Davis TruTrac, Steer Safe
Hamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 07:16 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Hamie, we are going West in the spring and on the way back will stop at HWH, in case the upper guides weren't installed correctly and have them look at the lower ones. Thank heavens for this forum or we may have been stranded somewhere with a bound up slide.