Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Unfinished compartment Sunstar

We just picked up our 2014 Itasca Sunstar 30 T. During the PDI, I noticed that the outside storeage compartment that is located under the bed is unfinished. Bare wood and luan. All the other compartments are carpeted and painted.

I asked the tech why and he didn't know. said that's just the way they are supposed to be????

Anyone else experience this?
Linda
taigarazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

That doesn't sound right to me. I would think that all the compartments should be finished unless it is for a special purpose requiring the condition you found. A quick call to Winnebago customer service should get you an answer.

I did notice that the picture on Winnegago's web site shows that compartment to be fully carpeted and finished.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by taigarazz View Post
We just picked up our 2014 Itasca Sunstar 30 T. During the PDI, I noticed that the outside storeage compartment that is located under the bed is unfinished. Bare wood and luan. All the other compartments are carpeted and painted.

I asked the tech why and he didn't know. said that's just the way they are supposed to be????

Linda
Linda,
The quickest "possible" answer to something like this might be to walk around the lot, where other motorhomes of similar construction, or the same model/brand/layout etc. are present and see if the same situation is present in those. Of all the coaches I've either bought, sold, worked on, seen, and more, none have ever had an "unfinished" compartment like that. If there's carpet etc. or, any other type of "finish" i.e. plastic walls/floors/carpet/ etc. then almost all the compartments "should" be the same interior finish on the walls.

Older coaches, as in maybe say, 20 years or older, may have bare wood in some of the compartment walls etc. but, not many and, certainly not a model/year like the one you're describing. And, dealing with sales people is to say the least, mostly non-educational. It is amazing that so many sales people of motor homes know so "little" about what they're selling.

So, I'd probably go to some form of executive of the company you purchased the coach from and show him/her what you're up against and see what they have to say. If you find out anything, surely get back to us here and let us know what's what. That way, if someone else runs up against the same situation, they'll have info as to how to proceed to a fix.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

The compartment I think you are referring to is the one in the bed slide out above the utility compartment. It is really a continuation of the space under the raise-up bed with a partition. Mine has the spare tire in it and has exposed wood. Newer models have moved the spare, I think.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

yup....mine has the spare tire located under the bed,but accessed from outside...
tomrx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:13 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Just as tomyrx and ghutch have mentioned- it's for the spare. I'm pretty sure it's a long rectangular compartment that has a door with a chrome knob latch at one end and a key-lock latch at the other. It is carpeted on the bottom but is bare wood everywhere else. I might be wrong but I think Winnebago just recently quit providing spare tires with their motorhomes. Frankly, I like the idea of having a mounted spare- just in case.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:03 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
Just as tomyrx and ghutch have mentioned- it's for the spare. I'm pretty sure it's a long rectangular compartment that has a door with a chrome knob latch at one end and a key-lock latch at the other. It is carpeted on the bottom but is bare wood everywhere else. I might be wrong but I think Winnebago just recently quit providing spare tires with their motorhomes. Frankly, I like the idea of having a mounted spare- just in case.

Yes, my 2013 30T is unfinished & has the spare tire in it.
Cass Sumrall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Cass,

I stand corrected- I'm glad they still give you a spare...thanks.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:59 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Hmm. ididn't get a spare with the 2014....
taigarazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:30 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Hmm. ididn't get a spare with the 2014....
I recently looked at a 2014 & comparing it to our 2013, I saw a number of things that were different & appeared to be cost cutting measures.
Cass Sumrall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:24 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

The 2012 Sunstar 26P included a spare under the bedroom slide compartment and was not carpeted. I had a leftover roll of thermal underlayment from installing laminate flooring in the stick and brick that I used to line the compartments to increase the R-Value and keep the compartments clean for future trade-in. I guess I never thought about the one compartment not being carpeted.
LadyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:05 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

All of the 2014 and 2015 Itasca 27n models I am looking at have a large pass-through as the rear-most compartment.

The ceiling of all of these is bare, unfinished plywood. Looks unfinished to me! I am thinking of painting (maybe just beige house paint) it when I take delivery.
danhannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:55 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I just picked up a 2015 Vista 30T and the compartment below the bed that is accessible from the outside is unfinished. Planning on putting some linoleum down.
dezrtracr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:54 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:

Linda
Here's mine with the spare:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8340.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	315.5 KB
ID:	80796  
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote