Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-08-2009, 07:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Ultimate Freedom questions

My wife and I are close to pulling the trigger on a 2000 Ultimate freedom 40. We should know if everything is a go by Monday. We are newbies for sure so please be patient. This rig has only 50k+ miles. We plan to fulltime starting next summer. Anything we should know or better yet, what do you like about yours. We have heard these rigs are highly regarded.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:38 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Do not have this model. You might try running a search on "Ultimate Freedom" or some variation. You should then get all previous discussions about this motorhome, good and bad.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:07 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I had a 2001 Ultimate Freedom that we bought used. Loved it-- it had 1 large slide, Spartan chasis, Cummins ISC. The coach was a delight and was high quality.

We liked it so much that when we found out Winnebago was going to stop manufacturing the Ultimate line after 2004 we traded it in on a 2004 Ultimate Advantage with 3 slides, Spartan chassis, and Cummins ISL . In 2004 there were only a couple of differences between the Freedom and Advantage and in 04 the Ultimate line got a better interior ceiling material (IMHO), larger tires, and larger brakes.

I would not think twice about a nice 2000 Ultiimate Freedom as long as--1. You know it has been maintained well 2. You like the floor plan 3. It is priced right.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks rnebors. Since this is going to be a long distance decision we are going to have an independant tech check it out next week and if all is well, we fly to pick up.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We bought a 2002 Ultimate Advantage six weeks ago and love it! We looked at several rigs, including a 2000 Ultimate Fredom that was for sale in Las Vegas. That coach was beat to pieces, and the guy selling it was a scam artist, but we are sold on the Ultimate line.

Gypsy Journal Newspaper
Nick Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:01 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I know a car dealer has apersonnel 2004 freedom he had it up for sale,he is a relyable person about 35000 I think will call and find out if you want?
DBOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

thats miles!
DBOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:20 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Russell View Post
We bought a 2002 Ultimate Advantage six weeks ago and love it! We looked at several rigs, including a 2000 Ultimate Fredom that was for sale in Las Vegas. That coach was beat to pieces, and the guy selling it was a scam artist, but we are sold on the Ultimate line.
Nick, no kidding on the one here in Las Vegas, by the way someone bought it last Tuesday. The place you referenced is not where we would do business-ever, and we live here. We have high hopes on what we are looking at. Dan
Old 10-09-2009, 11:22 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBOL View Post
I know a car dealer has apersonnel 2004 freedom he had it up for sale,he is a relyable person about 35000 I think will call and find out if you want?
Dbol, I'd like to say yes, but I'm afraid the 04 would be a little out of our budget right now. Thanks for the offer-unless he wants alot less that I think his would be worth.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:24 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Well, my wife and I are really bummed out. We were ready to go, but found out there were many things on this coach that were in need of repair or replacement. The dealer was kind and sent us a copy of everything that had been done already and had yet to be done. I felt, after wading through a dozen typed pages of items that I felt the previous owner should have taken care but evidently neglected, how could I trust the condition of the drive train? Small things to large, all needing attention. The basement air not operational, several circuit boards, a window that wouldn't close in the bedroom, dash air inoperable, TVs and all sound system-inoperable, electric seat adjuster-inoperable, winsheild wiper motor shot, kitchen faucet broken, most drawer slides broken, numerous switches broken, struts to hold the bay doors open-broken, and on and on. Call me an idiot if I'm wrong for walking away.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:49 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Sounds like you'd be an idiot to take it. There are to many good coaches out there in good condition to invest your time and money in one this rough.

Gypsy Journal Newspaper
Nick Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:24 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Man, they worked hard to break so much stuff. Wouldn't touch that one either.

Don't let that one turn you off to the UF/UA series, we love our coach.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:57 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Vegasdan,
I'm not in your area, but I have a 2001 Ultimate Freedom that is about to go up for sale. Email me at [email protected] and I'd be glad to supply more info.

Pailakapat
Pailakapat is offline   Reply With Quote