Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2006, 11:31 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

We are looking at a 2001 UA 40J. Can anyone give us any advice as to possible trouble spots to look out for?

The unit looks very clean, and am not finding much wrong with this. It only has 45k on it, and has everyhing we want in a MH. Our friends, Buck and Jeff seem to think it is a pretty decent deal.

Opinion on the IFS, and the Freightliner Utilibay chassis? Is this the 1st year of IFS? What are the minus's? Does it require more maintence? What are the wearout points?
Do you notice more flex in the utilibay chassis?

Thanks for any and all advice!

John & Derek

www.dereketnyre.com

John (N9MXX) & Derek (KC9KEM)
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:31 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We are looking at a 2001 UA 40J. Can anyone give us any advice as to possible trouble spots to look out for?

The unit looks very clean, and am not finding much wrong with this. It only has 45k on it, and has everyhing we want in a MH. Our friends, Buck and Jeff seem to think it is a pretty decent deal.

Opinion on the IFS, and the Freightliner Utilibay chassis? Is this the 1st year of IFS? What are the minus's? Does it require more maintence? What are the wearout points?
Do you notice more flex in the utilibay chassis?

Thanks for any and all advice!

John & Derek

www.dereketnyre.com

Old 07-21-2006, 04:07 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

My first coach was a Journey which did not IFS, and although my wife would drive the unit short distances she didn't like driving it because it drove like a truck. When we got our new U/A with IFS she was able to drive it with one hand and except for the MH's long lenght she didn't mind driving it. I think IFS is a must. Winnebago changed from Freightliner to Spartan chassis sometime in the 2001 time frame, and I think it a superior chassis to the Freightliner chassis. Other people like Freightliner better, and I think it is a Ford/Chevy type thing.

Overall I think the Ultimate line was the best product that Winnebago ever produced. Everything about the coach is top of the line. Since I have a 2003 U/A and not a 2001 I don't know af any problems with the 2001 model.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Ptribbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 08:51 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Hey guys, first of all if Buck and Jeff give it the green light that would be all I need. Over the years they have posted some of the greatest posts regarding motor home issues, solutions that I have read.
Secondly, I have an 03 Ultimate Freedom, and with the exception of an electrical gremlin I love the motorhome.
I think the Winnebago line is tough to beat, and the Ultimates are just the great.
Let us know what you end up with.
Old 07-22-2006, 04:36 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I had a 2001 Ultimate Freedom which had the Cummins ISC engine and Spartan chassis. I currently have a 2004 Ultimate Advantage with the Cummins ISL and Spartan chassis.
I do not have experience with the Freightliner chassis but my two Ultimates have been great.
Both had IFS and I have never had any trouble with it and find the handling is superb.
The Utilibay is very convenient as you do not have to crawl under a slide to get things out of storage plus you still have one full pass through bay. I have never heard of flex in the Utilibay.
I think the Ultimate was the best coach Winnebago ever built. Is has top shelf components, is well constructed, and rides and handles very well.
It is a shame that Winnebago stopped the Ultimate line--I think it was due to very poor marketing on their part.
I hope Winnebago comes back out with the Ultimate in a 42-43' with tag axle.
If the coach you are looking at has been well cared for you can't go wrong with the Ultimate.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:43 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Was 2004 the last year of the Ultimate?

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 11:30 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks guys for the encouraging words.

We are headed down to NC next week (if nothing goes wrong with the deal...) to take a final look, and if we like, bring it back to IL.

Thudman, yes, 04 was the last year for the Ultimate line, as far as I know Winnie has no intentions of a comeback. From what I could pickup from conversations about it, I don't think they were able to compete in an already flooded high line market.

RMM- You are correct, B&J are very close friends of ours, and I must say Buck is one of the very best at finding all the ins and outs of pretty much any topic of interest! I am sure he will jump in here too... When I talked to him last he was almost as giddy about the deal as I am, and I am bouncing off the walls. We have been looking for a solid DP for a while, and I think this is the one...

J&D

Old 07-23-2006, 04:14 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Ok, fire away since I am new to this but what is IFS and ISL?

Thanks

Wayne
Old 07-23-2006, 04:46 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

IFS is independent front suspension. ISL is a Cummins designator for an engine series. The Cummins engines most often seen in Motorhomes are,smallest to largest,-- ISB,ISC,ISL,ISM