Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2007, 07:25 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

I was just at 3-T's RV in Lake Havasu. They had the new 2008 Itasca Latitude 39W. Pretty coach. I asked them why they had it. They are designing a new T-818 Handling package for that new chassis. They said it should be available by the end of the week.
Tinsey99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:25 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

I was just at 3-T's RV in Lake Havasu. They had the new 2008 Itasca Latitude 39W. Pretty coach. I asked them why they had it. They are designing a new T-818 Handling package for that new chassis. They said it should be available by the end of the week.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:48 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Welcome to the forum . While there has been lot's of excitement about the UFO, haven't had anyone report here yet that actually has one of the Winne UFO's. Interesting that 3-T's is already designing a handling package for it. Did folks at 3-T's say there had been handling issues already reported or are they just wanting to have something in anticipation of the UFO?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:06 AM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tinsey99:
I was just at 3-T's RV in Lake Havasu. They had the new 2008 Itasca Latitude 39W. Pretty coach. I asked them why they had it. They are designing a new T-818 Handling package for that new chassis. They said it should be available by the end of the week. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Welcome to the forum...this might be a good post for the folks over in the Workhorse forum...
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:36 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

All the "test drivers" reported the UFO handled great. Why would an after market handling package be needed??

Oh well, motorhomers are easily separated from their $$$ as other subject threads have indicated.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:12 AM   #6
iRV2 Marketing

Stand By - Pictures at Eleven ... "OR" as soon as we can get them. I just spoke with the product designer and we should have something up before too long.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 06:06 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
Tinsey99,

Is what 3-T's is working on for the diesel or gas version (different chassis)?

All, doesn't the UFO designation only apply to the Workhorse version?

I looked at several Destination/Latitudes the dealers brought to the WIT Northwest Regional Rally. As best I can tell the diesel version seem be riding on the same '08 Freightliner XC chassis the new Journey will ride on. Biggest cool factors here are flat bedroom floor and clutch driven cooling fan.

The one continued short coming is FL's use of Sachs shocks. Not the best and always room for improvement.

The other interesting thing is three Lattitude/Destinations sold at the rally but all were Workhorse/rear-engine gas versions. The dealer sales folks all said their was almost no interest in the diesel version.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 09:51 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

The coach I looked at was a rear engine gas rig.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:13 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
Workhorse chassis seem like they always have room for improvement in their suspensions (shocks, sway bars, track bars, etc.). The UFO version is effectively a school bus chassis from the International side of the house. If 3-T's is working on improving it then there must be a reason 'cause they always seem to know where the business opportunities are.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 10:20 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The UFO version is effectively a school bus chassis from the International side of the house. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Please explain where you got that information, because I don't believe it is correct. ED
Old 05-25-2007, 12:15 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by vicsryd:
Workhorse chassis seem like they always have room for improvement in their suspensions (shocks, sway bars, track bars, etc.). The UFO version is effectively a school bus chassis from the International side of the house. If 3-T's is working on improving it then there must be a reason 'cause they always seem to know where the business opportunities are. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like mis-information to me. Unless everyting posted in the last year is wrong.

UFO was designed to use a gas or diesel engine.
"R" chassis is all diesel and built before International got into it.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 02:09 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by vicsryd:
Workhorse chassis seem like they always have room for improvement in their suspensions (shocks, sway bars, track bars, etc.). The UFO version is effectively a school bus chassis from the International side of the house. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A school bus chassis? First I've heard this.

I don't think I would buy a chassis that needed modifications. From what I read on these forums the only Workhorse chassis I see that rarely needs mods is the W24. I have one and it is fine unmodified. Although I did test drive a W24 38R before ordering and really put it through some maneuvers. My W24 needs no mods. Am I lucky??

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 04:53 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Tom,

"I did test drive a W24 38R before ordering and really put it through some maneuvers."

Is that why my IP has those high RPM and MPH figures stored in there?
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 06:18 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I just saw A Lattitude yesturday at RVAMERICA in Loveland Co.
joatmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:05 AM   #15
iRV2 Marketing

All, doesn't the UFO designation only apply to the Workhorse version? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The brand name UFO is Copyright by Workhorse Custom Chassis and as such no other manufacturer makes a UFO or anything like it.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The one continued short coming is FL's use of Sachs shocks. Not the best and always room for improvement. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>This is also consistent with what I have seen on a FRED.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The dealer sales folks all said their was almost no interest in the diesel version. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>With the UFO's superior braking, excellent power and identical maneuverability spending the extra money to have a RDP in this class of vehicle is going to be difficult to justify.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:17 AM   #16
iRV2 Marketing

The UFO version is effectively a school bus chassis from the International side of the house. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The UFO was designed, tested and engineered way before International Truck and Engine had any interest in the company. Conceptualizing that a UFO and an IH school bus have anything in common is an extreme stretch of the imagination. None of that statement lies in fact. Like the W series, the UFO was built from the ground up to be a motorhome chassis.

The acquisition of WCC by NAV was to a great degree embedded toward the commercial side of WCC's business and was initiated by the LF-72 low floor airport shuttle bus. IH also wanted to become active in the RV Industry and WCC provided that portal.

The LF72 offers airport commuters a low entry step into the vehicle. It is powered by the GM DMAX engine and Allison transmission. Early on WCC was seeking to use a IH engine. IH liked the concept and the rest of the business so much they bought the company.

You may see one of these types of vehicles at an airport you frequent in the near future. They are being very well received by the public. Principally, you no longer have to struggle up 3 stairs with all your luggage while other people are pushing you from behind.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:16 AM   #17
iRV2 Marketing

New Handling Package for Workhorse UFO

For immediate release:

3-T's RV Products, Inc. has just come out with a handling package for the new Workhorse UFO chassis

Every driver has a personal preference for the ride of his/her motorhome. Some like the feel of a luxury car that hugs the road through curves and dips. For this group, 3-T's RV Products now offers an option to make the motorhome handle more like a luxury vehicle.

The T-18UFO Handling Package will have you feeling like you are really driving the motorhome, not just steering it. This kit will provide better steering, smoother ride, less driving fatigue, and minimal front end pitch & roll.

This kit is a bolt on system utilizing existing holes in the frame. No special tools or drilling are required. The complete system can be installed with a basic mechanical understanding. Installation takes approximately two hours.

For more information see the website: 3tsrv.com
Old 05-28-2007, 05:39 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

DriVer: Having driven the Forest River Georgetown DEMO coach provided by WCC at the Supershow in Tampa last January, I can offer my opinion: The ride and handling of the UFO is so much better than my W-22 it is hard for me to believe any modifications are necessary. The UFO drives easily and remains level even while making very sharp turns at speeds above the posted limits. I have no reference to this company, and no axe to grind, but it appears from the pictures this is some sort of attempt to attach a shock absorber to the tie rod to act as a steering stablizer. I do find that steering stabilizers, regardless of manufacturer, give a "feeling" of improvement and I am personally anxious to receive the improved version of the Blue Ox Tru-Center which is promised to be delivered by August. ED
Old 05-28-2007, 06:06 AM   #19
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by edgray: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Ed, I spoke with the product developer and remarkably what was related to me is that the shock absorbers and damper are .... Monroe products. I mentioned that WCC went from the Monroe designed DSP (black) shock absorbers that everyone complained about to replacement Monroe RV Magnums to tuned Bilstein shock absorbers. Now we see in the aftermarket where Monroe becomes a replacement item for the stock Bilstein shocks that are delivered with the unit.

This is like a shock absorber circle, will it remain unbroken? I'm expecting that we will see Koni introduce an FSD product for the UFO in the near term. Can other premium shock absorber producers be far behind?

Seeing the kit steering damper in place only brings to mind that companies like Safe-T-Plus are probably going to on this like white on rice. The only thing missing are the mounting brackets and the "Blue" steering damper. STP gains yet another application.

One thing remains constant and that is if an opportunity exists to improve or otherwise offer products for established vehicles, the market will create itself. Whether the aftermarket product is earth shattering, mildly effective or ineffective they will come.

I have had as many as 5 rides in UFOs on 3 different manufacturers. My experience is similar to yours.