Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2014, 09:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

TV upgrade in 2004 38R Adventurer

I have a 2004 38R Adventurer with floor mounted TV cabinet behind passenger seat with it's original heavy 27" Sony that I want to replace with a 32" LED TV. I have the wood front top edge trim removed off cabinet, and the two L brackets inside cabinet under TV removed, but can't figure out how to get into cabinet to complete the removal. I didn't want to tear anything up if I can avoid it.
Any pictures, video, or instructions on how to access behind the TV to complete the removal, and or recommendations on TV brand and or model I should get. Today looked at a 32" 1080P LG at Best Buy that had the best sound of the ones I looked at. Any other suggestions, or recommendations, and things I should or should not do?
Thanks for any help.
Lean 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 09:20 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
If you have all the exterior trim removed and any exposed hold down brackets...try lifting it out or up. There was nothing holding mine after removing what I could see. There may be a board at the rear with the back of the tv caught on it. Lift up and out. I will surprise you just how heave it is.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 09:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Most brands are somewhat equal. Just make sure it is 1080p and has good sound quality. Front speakers will prob be best since you will putting it back in the box? or purchase a separate sound bar. If you have Bose built in, you will be good to go, sound wise. Wait till you get the old box tv out and see what connections you have. 2004 is really old tech.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:39 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I have a 2005 Itasca Suncruiser 38R.

Currently, we use a 42" LCD setting on the dining table. I have the top of the TV behind the light fixture above the table. I travel with the TV in this position. I place some foam padding under the TV stand and between the TV and the light fixture. TV travels well there. Last summer I had my roof round dish replaced with a Winegard Traveler HD roof dish installed by Winnebago so we are full HD. I currently have the FL campground cable hooked to the Sony 27" so we can watch 2 football games at once. My wife will watch park cable in the bedroom.

Anyway, my plan is to mount a 47" LCD in place of the 27" Sony. My thinking is to cut about 2 feet of the 27" wood cabinet out and move the top of the wood cabinet down. This would make a top for the lower cabinet with the 2 doors. I would then use a multi-position LCD wall mount to mount my new 47" LCD in the space made by shortening the wood cabinet.

I like a large TV and I don't want all the space where the current Sony TV sits wasted.

I have also considered removing the complete TV and entertainment cabinets and moving the dining table to that location behind the passenger seat. Then I would have a cabinet maker build a credenza where the current dining table is located under the window. I would use a motorized lift mount in the credenza cabinet to raise and lower a 47" LCD.

I will probably go with my first option of placing the LCD where the current Sony is located as I could do this with out a cabinet maker.

-Tom, W3TLN

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:35 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vit Wallis View Post
I have a 2004 38R Adventurer with floor mounted TV cabinet behind passenger seat with it's original heavy 27" Sony that I want to replace with a 32" LED TV. I have the wood front top edge trim removed off cabinet, and the two L brackets inside cabinet under TV removed, but can't figure out how to get into cabinet to complete the removal. I didn't want to tear anything up if I can avoid it.
Any pictures, video, or instructions on how to access behind the TV to complete the removal, and or recommendations on TV brand and or model I should get. Today looked at a 32" 1080P LG at Best Buy that had the best sound of the ones I looked at. Any other suggestions, or recommendations, and things I should or should not do?
Thanks for any help.
I did this on my '05 Vectra. Without a picture I am not certain what you are doing. Did you remove the screws from under the TV? I had doors under mine and I could gain access to the bottom that way. When you do pull the old TV watch out for the audio filter can. It is easy to break the leads if you are not aware of it being there.

Winnebago gets shake test info on the TVs they use. This is what I understand from something I read from them at one time. The TV I put in the Vectra did develop a problem at the bottom of the screen after a while. This Meridian has a Samsung. We are very happy with it. It is taking the beating of rough roads and keeps working fine.

I build a cradle out of 2x4 for my conversion. I am certain there is a better way to do this. My TV was slightly larger than the trim frame. How ever you mount the TV consider the drive vibrations and thuds.

I look forward to your progress report.

Happy new year.

Rick Y
Old 01-02-2015, 07:36 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
I have a 2005 Itasca Suncruiser 38R.

Currently, we use a 42" LCD setting on the dining table. I have the top of the TV behind the light fixture above the table. I travel with the TV in this position. I place some foam padding under the TV stand and between the TV and the light fixture. TV travels well there. Last summer I had my roof round dish replaced with a Winegard Traveler HD roof dish installed by Winnebago so we are full HD. I currently have the FL campground cable hooked to the Sony 27" so we can watch 2 football games at once. My wife will watch park cable in the bedroom.

Anyway, my plan is to mount a 47" LCD in place of the 27" Sony. My thinking is to cut about 2 feet of the 27" wood cabinet out and move the top of the wood cabinet down. This would make a top for the lower cabinet with the 2 doors. I would then use a multi-position LCD wall mount to mount my new 47" LCD in the space made by shortening the wood cabinet.

I like a large TV and I don't want all the space where the current Sony TV sits wasted.

I have also considered removing the complete TV and entertainment cabinets and moving the dining table to that location behind the passenger seat. Then I would have a cabinet maker build a credenza where the current dining table is located under the window. I would use a motorized lift mount in the credenza cabinet to raise and lower a 47" LCD.

I will probably go with my first option of placing the LCD where the current Sony is located as I could do this with out a cabinet maker.

-Tom, W3TLN

Just bought a 2004 Suncruiser 38R and have been planning to do the same. I will remove the SONY CRT, remove the top of the cabinet, cut down the sides to the height of the bottom cabinet, replace the top at a much lower height now, and plan to mount an LED TV on a swivel mount on the wall or just let it ride on top of the much lower cabinet. My first thought was to allow the co-pilot seat full travel, but since have decided that replacing the big monster TV is just as important.
Greatscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:11 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Vit Wallis, call Winnebago on Monday and ask them to send you a detail drawing of the TV installation. The online drawings to not show enough detail.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 02:41 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, GRT Harris. I will call Winnebago on Monday, and I agree there is not enough detail in the assembly parts drawings.
Also Tom N my unit is exactly like your 2005 38R Suncruiser. We regularly look at newer models coaches and plans and always go back to loving the abundance of cabinetry our 38R has, and floor plan for our needs. Also I'm OK with keeping the TV cabinet itself mainly because we like the arrangement and cabinet space and are fine with just upgrading to a 32" LED TV for our needs. I don't really want to go into cabinet modification, remodeling, carpet issues, etc. I plan to reinforce the thin flat wall of the cabinet behind my passenger seat and mount a swing out articulating TV arm inside. I'll utilize what other space is left behind the new TV for additional cabinet space.
I appreciate everyone's responses and opinions. Any others are also welcome.
Have a safe New Year everyone.
Lean 2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade, vent