Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2011, 04:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

TV replacement in 2005 journey

I'm thinking of replacing my front TV with a flat screen. Has anybody done that? And, if so, was it very difficult? I have a 2005 Journey 36g. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:43 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Sir:

We just had both of our tv replaced by Beaver Coach in bend Oregon. They did and excellent job.

Was originally going to do it myself but could not find a tv with variable audio out to use the existing sound/amplifier and eventually got frustrated and said the heck with it and hired it done.

Beaver put in a 32 samsung with a samsung blue ray player in the front and rewired stuff so the the existing speakers are used by the blue ray sound system. The in dash stereo still uses the factory amplifier.

There are a lot of options on how to hook up the sound and mounting the tv.

If you want to send a private message I can try to explain how they mounted the two tvs. Should have take some pictures before they buttoned stuff up.

Mark
malk415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:52 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

the dealer replaced the front on my Journey 36G with a 27in Toshiba. by going this size it fit right in the same openning without modfying the cabinet at all.
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:58 PM   #4
JC2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergo27 View Post
I'm thinking of replacing my front TV with a flat screen. Has anybody done that? And, if so, was it very difficult? I have a 2005 Journey 36g. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Here is a previous posting that might be of help.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/tv-r...ent-85293.html
Old 10-23-2011, 08:13 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the info, Mark. I, too, will probably go your route and have it done. I have a place in mind, but they're often so busy, and I refuse to leave my rig with them until they can get to it. I've been to the Beaver factory twice, and was by there again last year, and frankly never thought of checking with them. Oh well. Again, thanks for your input.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:24 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the info, Bob. I, too, will probably have someone do it -- easier way to go, and maybe it will be done right. Thanks again.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:26 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks so much for the referral. It was very helpful in making my decision which way to go.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:36 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Here's my posting on Front LCD TV install in a 2005 Vectra (Long) . I would expect that the Journey would be similar.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:42 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Sir..

If you do use Beaver Coach in Bend you will not be disappointed.. Dan the electronics guy sets up a great system if you follow his suggestions on equipment.

I forget the name of the wood guy but he is very very good and makes things look great. He especially did a really nice job on the rear tv.

Our 32 goes on the outside of the existing wood frame but only extends maybe a half inch past it and he covered the difference in height with some wood strips on top and bottom that match the existing frame. No alternations were necessary to the wood frame only adding the mounting bracket to the steel interior frame.

It was not a cheap fix considering their shop rates but all things considered we feel it was worth it.

Again I can send you pics of the finished product if interested. They have hookups for power and you can stay in their parking lot at night when they are done with the coach for the day.

Mark
malk415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:21 AM   #10

I put a 26 Inch in Our Ultimate;At present we are using the TV. speakers. That are Not sufficiant for a motorhome, I tryed several differant seggestions for wiring, none to our likings, so, I plan to Put a Amp; in then use the coach system.. I feel the Blue--- is a grocely over priced unit. Because I want to use the Coach speakers. Do all your home work.. First. Life is good.
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:50 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Flat panel TV install in Winnebago 35U

Send me a Private message with your Email address and I will send you a PDF of the installation (Pictures and Text)
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:58 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Location: If something hasn't broken on your RV, it is about to.
Should you chose to do the job yourself, the only difficult part is the removal of the existing "boat anchor". The following is a post I placed on the replacement of my front TV in my '05 Journey 36G.

"I used the $19.95 Flat Screen mounting bracket system found in IKEA stores (or ikea.com). The bracket has hanging spool-type attachments that screw into the mounting holes of the TV back and just hangs in sliding slots brackets on the IKEA main cross bracket. I used only the top two screw holes of the TV to mount two "spools". I bolted the IKEA main cross bracket to the old CRT hold down bar without removing the bar and simply hung the TV in sliding slots on the bracket with the spools. Ok, that is only a two point suspension. I then disassembled the Flat Screen TV foot stand. I mounted the metal stand-portion bracket in its normal space on the bottom of the TV and discarded the plastic base. Since this bracket was a right angled piece, I then screwed a black-painted piece of 2X4 to the bottom of that bracket (lucked out that the thickness of the 2X4 was just what I needed). With the bottom RV-TV house cover removed I then screwed the 2X4 to the bottom of the metal TV box of the RV with three wood screws. The re-attached the house conceals the screws (I also used "hook and loop" to attach the house to the back of the front wood surround). The painted 2X4 also serves as the bottom filler piece. Before screwing the 2X4 down, I could easily attach all necessary cables to the mounted TV since the spools/slot system on IKEA bracket have enough play that the TV can be swing out about 3-4 inches at the bottom. Attaching the 2X4 to the metal box provides just enough tension on the TV to make the whole mounting rigid, leaving the TV essentially hard mounted to the old CRT metal box. NO, NO, I didn't take any pictures. The Flat Screen TV I mounted was one of the last Toshiba 32" LCD's Camping World had in stock last fall. Fortunately for me the TV had variable audio out RCA female connections , so I can still control the surround sound system in my coach with the TV remote. Check with CW to see if they still carry the RCA LCD 32" TV which also has the variable audio out RCA connections. To remove the TV, I simply reverse the mounting order: first remove the house, then the three wood screws. Leaning the TV bottom forward, I can remove all the connections, and then lift up the TV to remove it. This mounting system rides very well, with no apparent movement (or squeaks) in the TV, even on Oklahoma highways. "

Suncircles
2005 Journey 35G with 2006 CRV Toad
Suncircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:16 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I replaced our CRT TV with a LED/LCD flat screen TV. I picked a LED TV because it was slightly thinner and lighter than a LCD TV. The difference between LED and LCD is the backlighting. LED TV’s use LED lights to backlight the screen and LCD TV’s use florescent lights to backlight the screen. I assume LED lights will last longer than florescent lights but who knows.

The TV I picked was a 32” Samsung. I picked it partly because it fit between my cabinet doors. According to Consumers Reports the TV I picked has a great picture but doesn’t have good sound so I decided to also install a sound bar as I don’t have an onboard sound system. I found a Panasonic sound bar that would also fit between my cabinet doors.

I talked to our local Winnebago dealer and Best Buy about installing a TV for me. Both said they would do the job, but the space that once housed our old CRT TV would be blocked off. I decided I wanted to make the space available for use and that I could do the job for less.

Here are pictures of my install.

Sightseer 29R TV Replacement pictures by JamesDAllen - Photobucket

Here is another forum with a long, long thread of people who replaced TV’s in their Winnebago’s. You might find something you like.

Survey of CRT TV to LCD replacements

On page five of the link above there is a discussion by bbbeebop and an answer from John Canfield about a TV that has a variable sound output that will work with existing sound systems. The TV mentioned is the JVC LT-32DM22 with a DVD. Apparently a variable sound output is a rare feature on a TV.

Good luck and safe travels.

JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:55 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Here's a link to photos of my front HD upgrade in our 2005 Itasca Meridian:

Front HD Upgrade - a set on Flickr

To see photo sets of the rear HDTV upgrade, outside HDTV addition, and BBQ use this link:

Flickr: nhutch533's Photostream

THutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:03 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

LG makes a 32" with external headphone jack that works perfect best buy keeps them in stock all you need to hook up to surround sond is a headphone to rca pigtail and 2 rca unions about a simple as it gets
NO1RAINH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:01 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

tom,

i like that idea with the BBQ and TV, do you have any more pics or details.

bob
Old 10-27-2011, 05:32 PM   #17
JC2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by THutch View Post
Here's a link to photos of my front HD upgrade in our 2005 Itasca Meridian:

Front HD Upgrade - a set on Flickr

To see photo sets of the rear HDTV upgrade, outside HDTV addition, and BBQ use this link:

Flickr: nhutch533's Photostream

Very nice setup. The pics were very good and to the point. Thank you.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

majfrizz,

If you run the slideshow, and click the "show info" in the upper right corner, you will get some additonal information. Basically, I built the stand with 3/4" cabinet grade plywood, and anchored in into the factory slide out tray. The BBQ is on another platform with full extention drawer slides, to move it out away from the motorhome. It is painted to match the motorhome.

After I get the moterhome back from another shop visit, I plan to modify the TV mounting, so it will slide out a bit more. It is currently is just mounted to the side of the stand. I'll take more pics and post them.

I was surprised to find no 110v outlets in the basement compartment. I plan to make the power and cable hookups permanent, but for now, I just plug into the entertainment outlets.

JC2 - Thanks! Glad to share! I've gotten a lot of info from these forums...glad to pay it back.
THutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:40 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

The prevoius owner of my 2004 horizon kd replaced the original tv with a 37" flat screen. He had to trim the cabinet doors but it came out looking great.
mrzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:11 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

on my Journey i have the cable and 110V outlet in the next compartment.

Tags
journey, replacement