Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2013, 10:24 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

TV Removal '12 Itasca Ellipse

I have a 2012 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, how do I remove the living room tv?
The Bay I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

More info please. Is this in a corner cabinet or overhead in front. Also you can do a "search" in the forum to see what other have done with their projects. Key to a search is how you ask your search question. Mine was in in a corner cabinet with a fireplace just under it. Bolts holding the "brick" in place were behind the fireplace and the fireplace first had to be pulled out before I could reach this bolts. Then I found a 1 1/4" metal strap stuck on the TV that had to be pried off. Only then could the TV be moved out.

So more info and also do a search.

Best of luck.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:29 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

It looks like yo remove screws from wall ( above and bellow) tv and remove tv with mount attached. Are you upgrading the tv? I hsve thought about switching ours out for a 3d tv
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:38 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I have the corner tv with the fireplace below it. I'm not upgrading the tv just wanted to access the other ports. Sounds like a lot of work to remove, may just use a small mirror to see what's there. Thanks for your responses.

John
The Bay I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bay I View Post
I have the corner tv with the fireplace below it. I'm not upgrading the tv just wanted to access the other ports. Sounds like a lot of work to remove, may just use a small mirror to see what's there. Thanks for your responses.

John
John, OK. The fire place is held in with 4 screws, once you remove it's metal cover. With the 4 screws out the fireplace will move out an you will see it's power cord going off to a 110 v power source. There maybe a couple of "holes" here but they are not large enough to access the back of the "brick" TV. There are 4 bolts here holding the TV in place. The front bolts also hold a 1 1/4" metal strap that is stuck on with heavy duty double sided sticky tape. This strap goes completely around the front of the TV. So you can see the TV is not just going to "pop" out for access. It will take some work, but you can do this.
FYI...I know cause I removed my corner TV from the corner unit and replaced it with a 32" Samsung with a sliding drawer. Here is my project. Old TV, New TV and then the access drawer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Old orgional TV (1).jpg
Views:	259
Size:	301.4 KB
ID:	47459   Click image for larger version

Name:	New MH TV  (1).jpg
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	47460  

Click image for larger version

Name:	New MH TV  (2).jpg
Size:	230.7 KB
ID:	47461  
Old 10-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

John, which tvs do you have?

We have Samsung, I have a usb and hdmi port on the right side edge, about 4 inches up from bottom.

My tv is mounted on a metal ledge on the bottom which a mated edge on the tv slides down into it. The top has a metal edge which is screwed into the wall.

I added a 3 foot usb and hdmi extensions to these ports. A usb hub is added, and also a card reader to the hub. This allows me to use usb sticks and sd/sd micro cards. The remote controls allows you to play movies on the usb sticks just like a dvd player.

I use the hdmi input to play the laptop and smartphone.

If you press your source button on the remote you will be able to see the available inputs. The highlighted ones should be the ones the tv recognizes as having a cable attached.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

John, Oops I see you have a 2012 unit. So you should already have a flat screen TV in the corner. Correct? So my post is just kinda useless. Did not notice till now. However the fireplace should still be the same. There maybe an access behind it, but I have not seen the 2012 unit removed so I am just guessing here.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:38 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bay I View Post
I have a 2012 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, how do I remove the living room tv?
Removing the TV is a simple job. Remove the screws from both the top and bottom of the mount. The screws at the bottom are a bit hard to get to. I had to use a very short screw driver to get into the space. The screws at the top are easy to get to. This mounting arrangement is a very poor design by Winnebago. It makes it impossible to get to any connections behind the TV. I have replaced the factory mount with a low profile swing out mount. Have now easily connected several devices to the TV.
F117plt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:54 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

There are 2 or 3 HDMI ports & a possibly a USB port on the right edge. No need to remove the TV.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by motohomer View Post
There are 2 or 3 HDMI ports & a possibly a USB port on the right edge. No need to remove the TV.
They are very hard to get to, about 1/4" on my rig.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Ya, they're tight. I broke down & unscrewed the mounting bracket to run one of the HDMI's cleanly into the cabinet. And while it was out, was sure to plug in another HDMI cable to hang loose for phone & laptop connecting. Phone pictures look much better life-size. Although our guests still seem to get bored after an hour anyway...
Old 10-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Ya, they're tight. I broke down & unscrewed the mounting bracket to run one of the HDMI's cleanly into the cabinet. And while it was out, was sure to plug in another HDMI cable to hang loose for phone & laptop connecting. Phone pictures look much better life-size. Although our guests still seem to get bored after an hour anyway...
I still think the way the TV is mounted is very user unfriendly. Didn't Winebago think anyone would ever need to get behind the TV? As I said earlier, I replaced the factory mount with a low profile swing mount and it works great.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:11 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Different subject, but has anyone run an HDMI cable from the audio/visual cabinet to the TV? If so, how did you do it?

Tags
removal, itasca