Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-16-2020, 07:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

TV and WiFi Solutions

Trying to figure out what to do. Currently have the old crank up TV antenna and the manual satellite dish. There is no way we are buying a satellite package for the RV, we are not full timing, regular TV and DVDs are all we need for our short trips. WiFi would be nice but we already have the network on our phones so not a huge deal. I saw this on Amazon and I am no whiz when it comes to this stuff so I thought I'd ask what people are doing for regular broadcast. This unit would allow me to clean up my roof (the present units are in need of work) and will get over the air TV with no cranking or rotating, and can be used with an optional (and expensive) router should we ever desire better internet.

All advice welcome, here is the unit I am looking at: https://www.amazon.com/Winegard-Ampl...5577942&sr=8-4
Old 11-16-2020, 08:28 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Brian,
My 2019 has the disk-style, and it works fairly well. Here is the KING OA1001 OmniPro Portable Omnidirectional HDTV Over-the-Air Antenna with Mount. It comes in either black or white finish. Maybe whatever covers the old mounting holes in the roof is the right choice? Are you replacing the TV too?
I did upgrade my TV speaker, and this would work with any TV that has a 3.5 mm audio output jack.
Eagle5
Old 11-16-2020, 08:34 PM   #3
Site Team

... additional ...
Make sure you have all these movies in your DVD Collection!
Ha-ha-ha.
Old 11-17-2020, 05:43 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

One thing I didn't mention, with my low profile AC unit I have about 3" of clearance pulling into my garage so I don't want anything over 10" or I won't get into the garage. The one in my link is low enough but the discs seem higher.
Old 11-17-2020, 06:58 AM   #5
Site Team

If you are only trying to watch OTA TV what is wrong with your crank up antenna? Is that not working well?

If you decide to improve internet in the RV the Winegatd isn’t a good option to depend on.

You say you have a manual SAT dish but don’t want a SAT package for the RV. Do you have SAT at home? Many take their SAT receiver from home on their RV and use that so they don’t have to get a separate SAT package for the RV. If you don’t have SAT TV at home Dish Network has a SAT package for RVs that you can activate and pay only when you use it. You pay as you go.
Old 11-17-2020, 07:10 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
If you are only trying to watch OTA TV what is wrong with your crank up antenna? Is that not working well?

If you decide to improve internet in the RV the Winegatd isn’t a good option to depend on.

You say you have a manual SAT dish but don’t want a SAT package for the RV. Do you have SAT at home? Many take their SAT receiver from home on their RV and use that so they don’t have to get a separate SAT package for the RV. If you don’t have SAT TV at home Dish Network has a SAT package for RVs that you can activate and pay only when you use it. You pay as you go.
My crank up is in bad shape and I don't really like it anyway. I did not know you could take your TV box with you, we have Direct TV. So we could just take the master box and remote on the road?

I can wire up a house and rebuild an automatic transmission but when it comes to TV I can barely figure out the remotes, my wife has to do all that. That's why I need help.
Old 11-17-2020, 07:35 AM   #7
Site Team

Yes, lots of people use the receiver from home. You will not have access to local channels when you get far from home, but with an antenna you’ll have OTA locals from wherever you are.

Dish network is vastly more RV friendly that Direct, but if you’re happy with their service at home it should be the same - minus local channels. With Direct you used to be able to call in to tell them the RV’s location and they would activate your local channels there. But after ATT bought them that become too difficult. Dish let’s you do that online very easily.

Many folks that have the newer TV antennas long for the old crank up antenna because they work better.
Old 11-17-2020, 07:42 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Yes, lots of people use the receiver from home. You will not have access to local channels when you get far from home, but with an antenna you’ll have OTA locals from wherever you are.

Dish network is vastly more RV friendly that Direct, but if you’re happy with their service at home it should be the same - minus local channels. With Direct you used to be able to call in to tell them the RV’s location and they would activate your local channels there. But after ATT bought them that become too difficult. Dish let’s you do that online very easily.

Many folks that have the newer TV antennas long for the old crank up antenna because they work better.
OK maybe I'll fix up the old crank ups. The biggest issue with both roof top units is the cable has rotted to bare conductor from the sun and I am not sure where to connect the new at the coach, is there a splice right at the crank location or is it one run all the way from the TV location to the outside connector on the roof? If that is the case can I just splice in my new piece? I have some compression type coax ends with the tool from my house wiring days. I am also looking for those rubber boots that go where the coax enters the coach through the nipple in the antenna base, they are a couple inches tall and about 1" in diameter closing up to the coax diameter on top.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:50 AM   #9
Site Team

Typically, the outside antenna runs a coax cable to the cable/OTA/Booster plate and there is a "T" adapter behind that plate. You do have that plate with a coax input, maybe a 12v receptacle and the little button you push to turn on the booster and switch from cable to OTA... correct? You must have this.

Assuming you do the coax to your TVs is branched off of that T connection behind the plate.

When you said "manual SAT dish" I assumed it was a tripod on the ground with a dish on it. But in you last post, you just said "both roof top units" like you have a manual SAT dish on the roof. What exactly do you have?
Old 11-17-2020, 09:06 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I didn't think this was covered but you did say you have wifi via your phone I believe. You can buy like a Apple TV box and that is not that expensive at all and now you can have Netflex and a huge selections of other programs. You can also take the Apple tv on vacation and use it with any TV. I use it in my house, lake house and the motorhome. All you need is internet hot spot.
HollywoodGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 03:25 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Typically, the outside antenna runs a coax cable to the cable/OTA/Booster plate and there is a "T" adapter behind that plate. You do have that plate with a coax input, maybe a 12v receptacle and the little button you push to turn on the booster and switch from cable to OTA... correct? You must have this.

Assuming you do the coax to your TVs is branched off of that T connection behind the plate.

When you said "manual SAT dish" I assumed it was a tripod on the ground with a dish on it. But in you last post, you just said "both roof top units" like you have a manual SAT dish on the roof. What exactly do you have?
Sorry about that, the dish and the crank up are both on the roof
Old 11-17-2020, 03:26 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollywoodGT View Post
I didn't think this was covered but you did say you have wifi via your phone I believe. You can buy like a Apple TV box and that is not that expensive at all and now you can have Netflex and a huge selections of other programs. You can also take the Apple tv on vacation and use it with any TV. I use it in my house, lake house and the motorhome. All you need is internet hot spot.
Thanks for that info, we do have Netflix. We also have an Apple TV but it is pretty much an antique and doesn't work well any more, should probably upgrade to the newest one
Old 11-17-2020, 04:54 PM   #13
Site Team

I hope you realize that roof top SAT dishes are not generic - they are either Dish Network or DircTV. Since you have Direct, you'll need to be sure that your SAT dish is also set up for DTV.

I'm not sure I've heard of "manual" rooftop SAT dishes, so how that works I don't have a clue.
Old 11-17-2020, 05:21 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

This is yet another of those areas where opinions abound. So here's ours.

As part of our continual maintenance/upgrade/remodel, our attention turned to the OTA antenna. Ours was an OEM Winegard Sensar.

We were hot to remove it and install one of those sexy looking flying saucer types like the Rayzar.

A deep dive into the Winegard website turned up an interesting comment which in retrospect should have been obvious. All their antennas tout about a 55 mile range. But that is line of sight. Their own description tells you that the Sensar series - because it lifts the antenna head up about three feet higher - comes closest to realizing that 55 mile capability. With that epiphany, we just bought a new rv-3095 Sensar III Batwing head and installed it on our old mast. Easy Peasy as they say - one coax connection and four bolts.

Now, if we traveled mostly in the east, where towns are cheek by jowl, we would install the Rayzar type 'cause it just looks good! But out here in the west, where 55 miles may not even get you to the closest ranch, that extra boost of lifting the business end of the antenna up three feet or so has value.

As an example, we live outside Tucson, about halfway up the Tucson Mountains. Parked alongside the house, Sensar folded flat, we pick up all the Tucson stations (7). Pop the antenna up, we receive Tucson, Phoenix and Green Valley (47 stations - admittedly, many duplicates)

We just returned from a 39 day slow roll through the midwest - OH, TN, KY, etc. Most days we picked up OTA channels w/o even raising the antenna.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:24 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I hope you realize that roof top SAT dishes are not generic - they are either Dish Network or DircTV. Since you have Direct, you'll need to be sure that your SAT dish is also set up for DTV.

I'm not sure I've heard of "manual" rooftop SAT dishes, so how that works I don't have a clue.
No I had no idea the dishes were provider specific. Like I said I am a dummy about TV mostly because I don't care to watch it much. On the other hand it is practically a necessity for the wife. The dish lays flat on the roof for travel then you turn a crank on the ceiling to raise it just like the regular antenna then rotate the direction with a big dial that surrounds the crank handle.

The one thing I do know about the providers is they are always trying to get more of your money. I was surprised to hear you can take your receiver on the road, I figured they would have a way to charge you for that.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:55 PM   #16

I always wondered when my dish may become obsolete. However, I don't know if that day has come or not?

Maybe if you check this product out and then can let us know if this is the future way to go we all can benefit. It's "Verizon Stream TV" and if you have the right cell phone or TV... apparently you can connect via 5G and stream all sorts of TV stations, Netflix, etc.

I don't what it will cost in monthly fees, but it would appear the technology is available, and I see Verizon is now offering unlimited data for $40/mo, but I'm guessing there is an "upcharge" for this Verizon Stream TV option. IDK?

Please let us know what you find out after check this product out. All I know is that it requires a 4K compatible device... like a 4K TV or compatible cell phone... neither I have at the moment. ...And I assume you have to be camped in a 5G area of coverage. (TBD)

This device is $69...

https://www.verizon.com/products/ver...ream-tv-gen-2/
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 10:04 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
I always wondered when my dish may become obsolete. However, I don't know if that day has come or not?
Maybe if you check this product out and then can let us know if this is the future way to go we all can benefit. It's "Verizon Stream TV"
This isn't a new product, nor a successful one. Here's how the Verge tech website reviewed it:

"Verizon’s new set-top box is possibly the worst option out there for streaming"

Any Roku, FireTV or Apple TV streamer is vastly better, cheaper and more useful.
Old 11-20-2020, 03:05 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

So friendly ATT/Directv they still allow you to change the 'locals' when you move your rv, but they are so 'frindly' that they charge $98 per change for that simple little locals relocation.

so nice and sweet are they, sad all you rvers do not like paying for such a 'complex' service !!
SmilingSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 04:53 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Don't mean to be a Debbie Downer here, but Directv is no longer rv friendly. To use your home receiver, you would need a new dish, to the tune of about $1600. If you can find a rep that knows something, you can get them to send you an analog receiver, that will work with your crank up dish. Very easy to point and get a picture, and it only adds about $7 to your bill, but, no HD. Crank up dishes are generic, it just depends on where you point it. With Dish, you can get HD, but you don't already have dish, so it adds another account. Works out to be about $50/month, and you can turn it on and off at will for free! Guess which service I use! Kerry
Old 11-22-2020, 04:53 PM   #20
2018 2108DS

Starlink for internet and boom 55mbps internet anywhere. Just hooked mine up this weekend works great. Use it at home when I get back.

https://www.starlink.com/
Andy_XY is offline   Reply With Quote